It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Hysterectomy Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-26-2007, 06:14 AM   #1
(female)

parcelgirl HB User
vaginal or abdominal hysterectomy?

Hi, Im 42 and my doctors have told me for 3 or 4 years that i would need a hysterectomy, i have been putting this operation off but have so much pain and bleeding that i think that i am ready at this point, my question is which type of hysterectomy should i be considering? vaginal or abdominal ? thanks for the help..

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-26-2007, 07:17 AM   #2
(female)

djaamm HB User
Re: vaginal or abdominal hysterectomy?

Your Dr. should be able to guide you as to which way is preferred by him/her. (They may not be able to do it vaginally). I am told that vaginal is better. Quicker procedure, safer, less recovery......that was the plan for me. But after getting me into the OR, my Dr. found that there was no way she could perform mine vaginally or by laproscope, so I ended up with an abdominal. I can't tell a whole lot about recovery because I am only 2 weeks post-op today! I am still in a little pain, but getting around pretty good now.

Good Luck to you!
Let us know what you and your Dr. decide on,

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-26-2007, 02:09 PM   #3
(female)

Suzi Q HB User

abdominal hysterectomies by far take the longest to recover from so talk to your doctor and if it is at all possible go for the vaginal.

Old 02-27-2007, 02:38 AM   #4
(female)

Triple777 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by parcelgirl View Post
Hi, Im 42 and my doctors have told me for 3 or 4 years that i would need a hysterectomy, i have been putting this operation off but have so much pain and bleeding that i think that i am ready at this point, my question is which type of hysterectomy should i be considering? vaginal or abdominal ? thanks for the help..
FYI, a hysterectomy will not guarantee you to be pain free (and you don't "need" one), it's optional. Have you been given any less invasive options to stop the bleeding? What is the pain caused from? If you read stories on here, you can see a lot of women have complications. It should only be done as the last resort when all other options are exhausted, but often doctors don't give you the other available options. There is less recovery time for a vaginal, but more complications, and the abdominal is very painful and I've had pelvic pain for 5 months (which I never had before). Once you do it, you can't go back and it really messes with your body. Please look at other alternatives first. Good luck to you!

Old 02-27-2007, 06:25 AM   #5
(female)

parcelgirl HB User

my history is that i had a endometrial enblasion surgery for the bleeding 3 years ago, that procedure worked for awhile, but now i am back to bleeding heavily and also the pain that i have is almost every night. They have never told me what really is wrong with me and i have taken alot of pain pills which helps some but does not solve my problem. I understand that this is my decision and lived with this problem for 5 years, im at the point in my life that action has to be taken or live with the pain for many more years till menopause.

Old 02-27-2007, 01:19 PM   #6
(female)

Triple777 HB User

Quote:
They have never told me what really is wrong with me

Before you can make an educated decision, you need to know that answer. If the endometrial enblasion helped, why can't they do that again? I've also read that it takes a very skilled surgeon to do that correctly, and if it's not done correctly, the problem reappears quicker. I'm glad you know the hysterectomy is optional, because the way the doctor presented it to you doesn't sound that way. If they could keep your pain to a minimum before you hit menopause, that would be far better for your body. Have you ever gotten your hospital records? If you search the internet for alternatives for a hysterectomy, you will find them. You could have chronic pain for the rest of your life if they amputate all your female organs because it weakens your pelvic structure. Your uterus and cervics are not free-floating in your body, and they have to sever the ligaments and blood supply to your female organs to amputate them and then sew up your vagina. Sorry to be so graphic, but that is what is done. This causes short-term and long-term complications in your body, not to mention long-term pain, possible urinary problems, digestive problems, etc. Most doctors do not inform you of anything, and you can see from others that after the surgery is done, and they have all kinds of pain and problems, their calls to their doctor's office are ignored, or they are told, "that's normal". Find out as much as you can before you make such a life-altering decision. It's just in your best interest. Good luck to you!

Old 02-27-2007, 02:46 PM   #7
(female)

nakvo65 HB User

Hello,

I had my hysterectomy 5 weeks ago today and i am feeling great, best decision i have ever made. Mine was abdominal and i was in pain for a week then i felt so good i over did it one day and that set me back a week but now i feel great. Mine was suppose to be vaginal but once they got inside, there was way too much endo so they had to change plans. Everybody is different this is just my story. I am a very happy woman.

Old 02-27-2007, 04:29 PM   #8
(female)

Triple777 HB User

Hi Nav: I'm glad you are feeling good. Five weeks is a short time to make that assessment though. I had less pain at 5 weeks than I do now. My GP told me that I am getting all my feeling back from the nerves reconnecting and that is why I am feeling it more because it was all numb before. At about the 3 month point, I started getting chronic pelvic pain, lower abdominal pain and pain walking down stairs. There is a lot of shifting going on. I know what you mean about overdoing it one day and it setting you back for a week. I did that multiple times. It's amazing how long it takes one day of straining to heal. I hope you continue to feel good. You're right, everyone is different and usually end up with somewhat different side effects. I yet to talk to anyone long term that has none though. Good luck to you!

Old 03-01-2007, 03:54 PM   #9
(female)

aussie-angel HB User

My advice to you is to get a variety of opinions. Having a hysterectomy was a good decision for me and is for plenty of women with enduring period problems. I had an abdominal hysty 4 months ago and feel great. Only a few people have lingering issues so do not let that "maybe" turn you off. I no longer have the almost labour-like pains of the past nor the enormous pressure on my bladder which was caused by my adenomyosis. I have had no bladder problems, pelvic pain or anything. An ablation is not a cure-all for period pain, hysterectomy is. I suggest you visit other dedicated hysterectomy support sites and you will see that, for the majority of us, it is of worthy merit. All the best!

Old 03-03-2007, 09:13 AM   #10
(female)

wendy43 HB User

i had a total hysto back in may (vaginal) was in for a day, was feeling great no pain not periods. but now its the dreaded flushes, palpitations, anxiety ect. wish ovaries remained. but vaginal is def the way to go. hope this helps you decide

Old 03-03-2007, 07:04 PM   #11
(female)

Lotty667 HB UserLotty667 HB UserLotty667 HB User

I had my full hysterectomy 7 yrs ago. My doctor had planned a abdominal, but in talking with him, I discovered that a lot of doctors prefer the abdominal for a full hysterectomy because it is easier on THEM! I basically told him that I couldn't care less what was easier for him, I wanted what was easier on me. Anyway, had the vaginal hysterectomy on a Wed. and was back to 75% of my normal activities (except sex of course lol) within a week.

I am so glad I did it. I had no complications, practically no pain and none of the other side effects that some women get. Now of course, every woman is different with reference to the side effects, but personally I couldn't be happier.

The only side effect I got was the hot flashes and those could be controlled by an HRT, but I opted not to go on one. Sometimes the hot flashes were pretty aggrivating, but they lessened over time and now I only get them once in a while.

I highly reccommend the vaginal surgery. Hope this helps.

Old 03-04-2007, 09:13 AM   #12
Senior Veteran
(female)

Thisby HB UserThisby HB UserThisby HB UserThisby HB UserThisby HB UserThisby HB UserThisby HB UserThisby HB UserThisby HB UserThisby HB UserThisby HB User

Interesting point Lizzy! And it sure rings true.

I did a lot of research on the 2 choices when it looked like I might have to have one and pretty much across the board the women I talked to who had the vaginal hyst had a much easier recovery. So I would recommend that one waaaay over the abdominal.

(jfyi, a vaginal hysterectomy is not always an option - it was not an option for me due to the then size of my uterus, but I ended up having a UAE and don't need one now )

Old 03-04-2007, 12:56 PM   #13
(female)

wendy43 HB User

Hi lottyliz
Did you have any other side effects if so how did you deal with them, palpitations anxiety ect?
Thanks wendy

Old 05-28-2007, 08:57 PM   #14
(female)

katjg HB User

hi, i'm 44. just had (6 weeks ago) a TAH, with bladder repair. was in the hospital 2 nights. I did have lots of gas pain the the hospital especially. and was constipated after coming home ( be sure to get a stool softener and have some fiber (Metamucil) handy). The bladder is a little slow to empty and a little painful, but getting better. Now I feel GREAT. I'm so excited about never having a period again and not having to wear a pad for bladder leakage. YIPPEE!!!! I have a very high tolarance to pain, i guess. After coming home I only took the pain meds at bedtime and was off them completely after a couple days. I am returning to work tomorrow. Since my surgery I have mowed my yard and ran the weed eater twice already. Hope you do as well.

Old 05-29-2007, 02:14 PM   #15
(female)

tesykatz HB User
Thumbs up Re: vaginal or abdominal hysterectomy?

Hi there,
I had a total abdo hysterectomy three and a half months ago and it is the best thing that I have ever done. Putting up with severe bleeding for 3 years before hand was terrible and it HAD to be done.....I had 2 days in hospital, 8 weeks off work and I am really good now. I am a wus when it comes to pain, but I managed to get through that really well with very little pain to report.I was told to rest, not to lift or drive for 6 weeks and I have made a full recovery. Everybody is different but if you go in with a positive attitude, you will be fine. I too had an ablation in 2005 but it didnt work for me, hence the next step. This op has worked for me and I have yet to meet someone who hasnt been happy with having it done. All the best and once it's over with you won't know yourself. I too read lots of reports on the net,and all the negative experiences did sound scary, but I think that sometimes too much information can be a bad thing and you just have to go with your instincts and the advice of your Doctor. I can only speak of my experience and I was lucky and have had no problems. I was very apprehensive before I went in to hospital as other than having a C Section for my daughter 19 years ago, I had not been back for anything else, so I had to get over being scared about going to theatre. Have faith and do all the right things and all will be fine. Good luck with it all and let us know how you get on.
Aussie Desley

Closed Thread