It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Hysterectomy Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-06-2007, 06:32 PM   #1
(female)

Psalm46:1 HB User
Question Has anyone had a Cone Biopsy and a Hysterectomy?

Hi,

I just had a cone biopsy yesterday and couldn't ever get the pain even bearable until about 6 hours after I woke up from it!! I'm usually pretty good with pain, but the cramping just was horrible. Now, I'm really getting worried about the hysterecomy I'm going to have soon...

Will it be not as bad since my crazy uterus will be gone anyway? Or, is it worse because it's a more "major" surgery?? Yikes.

Thanks!

Old 03-07-2007, 02:39 PM   #2
(female)

June G HB User
Re: Has anyone had a Cone Biopsy and a Hysterectomy?

Hello. Had the hysterectomy at age 37, but not the cone biopsy. Sorry for your pain, but once the hysterectomy is behind you, you will feel so much better, and it is like they say about childbirth: you forget the pain! My recovery was very quick and since both ovaries were removed, I had HRT (hormone replacement therapy) for about ten years, then switched to an OTC (over the counter) herbal solution for about 5 years, now I take nothing and feel fine. Vaginal dryness is a problem, but Astroglide solves that! Try not to worry and look forward to NO MORE PERIODS!!! Good luck!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-07-2007, 06:44 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

Timber HB UserTimber HB User

Hmm. Why'd they give you a cone if you're about to have a hysterectomy?

You won't have uterine cramping after your hyster obviously, but there will be some pain. They'll probably give you heavier pain meds though.

Old 03-07-2007, 06:50 PM   #4
(female)

I thought it was weird, too. After asking my dr. about it, I guess they need to know if there's any invasive cancer we didn't know about from the LEEP. If we find any, they will treat the cancer first with chemo, etc. (he says the studies have shown it's more effective to treat it before removing the uterus).

It's because I have adenocarcinoma in situ that can spread. If I only had the plain 'ol carcinoma in situ, I could've gotten by with only had the LEEP. I think it's all precautionary - just in case I have it worse than we think. And, that's fine with me. I'd rather know and fight it now.

Old 03-07-2007, 10:02 PM   #5
(female)

tripleesmom HB User

Hi Everyone,
I was recently diagnosed with both squamous cell carcinoma and endocervical adenocarcinoma in situ. I had the conization done last Tuesday (2/27) and have not yet heard back from my GYN about my margins. She indicated that because the adenocarcinoma was fairly high in my cervical canal, the chances were slim that they would be clear. I have three children (one of whom was my SURPRISE! baby two years ago!) and so am not that concerned with having my uterus removed, I'm pretty much done with it! I have some questions, though, and I'm hoping some of you could share your experience because I'm freaking out a little about whether or not this could continue to spread. I have been diligent about annual paps since my early 20's and have never had an abnormal finding. I was high risk for HPV back then (it was the 80's before we were as informed (smart?) as we are now) and I'm sure I contracted it then, though I was never diagnosed. The weird thing is that I went from a normal pap to the rare DUAL cancer in one fell swoop. I thought cervical cancers were very, very slow growing? I was never in the "monitoring phase" that comes with an abnormal pap. Does anyone else out there share this similarity? If so, what has been your continued prognosis post-hysterectomy? Another thing, my GYN has not referred me to a gynecological oncologist, but she seems pretty on the ball and performed the cold-knife cone herself, should I go looking for one for another opinion or wait until the pathology report comes back from the conization? Hopefully, I will hear something by tomorrow. I appreciate any feedback any of you may have.

Old 03-08-2007, 08:01 AM   #6
(female)

Hi Triples and PP,

Triples, your story sounds very much like mine. I was diagnosed with both AIS and CIS last Friday and had the conization biopsy on Monday...now I'm just waiting to hear back!

I always had normal PAPS, and even was told I didn't need to get them every year! This was the first year I skipped a year. Go figure.

So, I was hoping to have a surprise baby, too (you're lucky!), but I think that's a dream of the past now. I will get the hysterectomy either way...if they find more or not. I asked my dr. how we could be sure it doesn't spread elsewhere, and he said you really can't be sure. Not the answer I was hoping for. I'm going to try to see an oncologist no matter if the results are good or not, just to make sure we're doing everything we can to reduce that risk, though. I sure don't want it in my bladder or colon. I think I'm okay with sacrificing the uterus, now, though. Doesn't seem so bad compared to everything else.

They say cervical cancer is slow-growing, but mine has jumped all the way from nothing to CIS and AIS since my last pap 2 years ago...so it isn't ALWAYS the case. Especially if you read these boards! Some people are even faster than that. Someone's gotta beat the odds, right?
You're not alone! Hang in there!

PP,

I haven't seen an oncologist, yet, but am planning on it. I'm not sure where you are located, but there are a few gyn.onc. in Denver. There are none in Colo. Spgs., where I am. The one I contacted in Denver only does surgeries, though?? So, they were scheduling me to just see another general oncologist up there instead. I figured I could stay in the Springs to see an oncologist. So, depending on the results, I might just find one here. If the results are really bad, maybe I'll try to get into the gyn.onc. in Denver...they'd probably be more likely to see me if I really need them to, after the results are in, anyway.

I just went on my health insurance's website and searched for oncologists, then looked through their site until I found a gyno.oncologist. There aren't really very many to choose from! So, I think the few there are probably are okay, since they get all of the business/specialized cases.

I'll let you know when I find out anything...or any dr.'s names...where are you at, anyway? What's your diagnosis, if you know yet and want to tell me?

Hang in there! We'll get through this!

Last edited by Psalm46:1; 03-08-2007 at 08:09 AM.

Old 03-10-2007, 08:27 PM   #7
(female)

pp_keke HB User

Hi Pslam,

You definitely did the right thing to see an oncologist. Best luck to you next Thursday!

PP

Closed Thread