It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....



Hysterectomy Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-07-2007, 08:25 AM   #1
Newbie
(female)
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: atlanta, ga, usa
Posts: 5
patt1836 HB User
uterine prolapse - hysterectomy??

i was just told by my OB that i have uterine prolapse (from having 2 children) 1st degree, and need to have my uterus removed vaginally. I asked if I could just do Kagel's to strengthen muscles and was told that it really would not work. does anyone know anything about this or have any commets? i am very healthy and 38 yrs old. i have never had to have any kind of surgery before and i am scared. i am planning on having a 2nd opinion as well.

 
The following user gives a hug of support to patt1836:
AnnieMaine (09-02-2011)
Old 03-08-2007, 07:50 PM   #2
Senior Member
(female)
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Midwest
Posts: 140
beachlovr HB User
Re: uterine prolapse - hysterectomy??

patt1836,
I have a first degree uterine prolapse also. I am 37 and had three vaginal deliveries and also very healthy otherwise. My doctor says that unless I am having a lot of pain daily or pain from intercourse that a woman can totally live with a uterine prolapse of this mild degree. I do not have pain but can feel the heaviness of the uterus especially right before I get my period. Are you having any pain or problems from your prolapse? I think that getting a second opinion for ANY surgery is a must. I would also recommend even getting a third opinion. Doing Kegels cannot hurt you but they probably won't help much. The only other place you can seek help regarding this would be by seeing a highly qualified acupuncturist. I have tried some herbal remedies that I got from my acupuncturist and it has made my prolapse not seem as heavy. Weird, huh? Please let me know what you decide to do. I cannot seem to find anyone else who has this mild degree of uterine prolapse on this site. I would like to hear what your second opinion doctor says.
beachlovr

 
Sponsors Lightbulb
   
Old 03-09-2007, 06:42 AM   #3
Newbie
(female)
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: atlanta, ga, usa
Posts: 5
patt1836 HB User
Re: uterine prolapse - hysterectomy??

Quote:
Originally Posted by beachlovr View Post
patt1836,
I have a first degree uterine prolapse also. I am 37 and had three vaginal deliveries and also very healthy otherwise. My doctor says that unless I am having a lot of pain daily or pain from intercourse that a woman can totally live with a uterine prolapse of this mild degree. I do not have pain but can feel the heaviness of the uterus especially right before I get my period. Are you having any pain or problems from your prolapse? I think that getting a second opinion for ANY surgery is a must. I would also recommend even getting a third opinion. Doing Kegels cannot hurt you but they probably won't help much. The only other place you can seek help regarding this would be by seeing a highly qualified acupuncturist. I have tried some herbal remedies that I got from my acupuncturist and it has made my prolapse not seem as heavy. Weird, huh? Please let me know what you decide to do. I cannot seem to find anyone else who has this mild degree of uterine prolapse on this site. I would like to hear what your second opinion doctor says.
beachlovr
Hi Beachlovr,
thanks for your reply, i was starting to think i was the only one out here with this condition. sounds like we both have the same thing. mine is not painful either except right before my period. i think it is because that is when your uterus drops when you ovulate and then when ovulation is over, your uterus goes back up. that is the only thing i can come up with. acupuncture sounds interesting. i was also told that Chiropratic adjustments could help as well. haven't tried that either. i think i will go get 2nd opinion then start looking else where for other alternatives. i will keep you posted. my appointment is the 21st of March so i'll let you know how it goes. by the way, i am a beach lover as well. we are going to ST. George island, FL in May.


 
Old 03-09-2007, 06:25 PM   #4
Senior Member
(female)
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Midwest
Posts: 140
beachlovr HB User
Re: uterine prolapse - hysterectomy??

The chiropractor adjustments sound plausible too. I might have to check into that too. Do you have any other prolapses down there? I have a cystocele and a rectocele too. I will eventually need surgery to correct these problems but have been told I can live with them at this point. It kind of bothers me that I have these problems. I swear that lately I have been noticing more pressure down there. I feel some pressure on my bladder and I don't like that feeling. Please let me know what your second opinion doctor says after you see him/her on the 21st. I am getting another opinion on March29th from a urogynecologist. I'll let you know about my second opinion as well.

We go to the beach in SC every summer. I spend 2 weeks there and spend the other 50 waiting to go back. Can't get enough of it!

 
Old 03-10-2007, 06:08 AM   #5
Newbie
(female)
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: atlanta, ga, usa
Posts: 5
patt1836 HB User
Re: uterine prolapse - hysterectomy??

Quote:
Originally Posted by beachlovr View Post
The chiropractor adjustments sound plausible too. I might have to check into that too. Do you have any other prolapses down there? I have a cystocele and a rectocele too. I will eventually need surgery to correct these problems but have been told I can live with them at this point. It kind of bothers me that I have these problems. I swear that lately I have been noticing more pressure down there. I feel some pressure on my bladder and I don't like that feeling. Please let me know what your second opinion doctor says after you see him/her on the 21st. I am getting another opinion on March29th from a urogynecologist. I'll let you know about my second opinion as well.

We go to the beach in SC every summer. I spend 2 weeks there and spend the other 50 waiting to go back. Can't get enough of it!
I'm sorry to hear that you are having so much pressure. it seems like once someone tells you you have a problem, you suddenly start feeling it even more. It really bothers me too, knowing that something is just not right with my body. Uteran prolapse is all i have now, but i am told rectocele is soon to follow in the next few years. I'm sure that if i had had one more child, i would be in your same position.
I see you are from the midwest. i was born in Milw. and visit all my family up there every year. you guys have had a pretty bad winter this year.
i bet you can't wait to go to the beach.
well, i'll catch back up with you towards the end of the month. good luck to you. i know you keep really busy with 3 kids. do you work or are you a stay at home mom? i'm a stay at home mom right now.

 
Old 04-02-2007, 12:24 PM   #6
Newbie
(female)
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Spring, TX, USA
Posts: 1
Teresafears HB User
Re: uterine prolapse - hysterectomy??

Hi I have been diagnosed with a uterine prolapse since my uterus is actually in my vagina, lol. They are saying a pessary can temporarily help but there would not be a way to have normal sexual intercourse, and since I am only 39 I can't imagine that that scenario would work well for me. So, since I have NO emotional attachment to my uterus, I would willingly have it removed but my husband is self-employed and we do not have any medical insurance. So I guess I am just looking for ideas and advice on financial avenues I have not looked at. Why don't they put a warning down there that indicates that things could actually fall out???? I had no idea. For me I know I have to have a sense of humor cause um, really where else can I go with this?

Thanks for listening to me and if you have a reply, please do not hesitate!

 
Old 04-11-2007, 10:41 PM   #7
Senior Member
(female)
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Midwest
Posts: 140
beachlovr HB User
Re: uterine prolapse - hysterectomy??

Teresa,
Yes, we should be given warnings at some point from our OB's that all of these parts can fall out. I think famous people are given these warnings as they all seem to choose to have scheduled C-sections (which can help keep all your parts where they belong). If your uterus is literally hanging out of you, I would seek out help. Most doctors will let you have a payment plan towards surgery/treatment if you are desparately needing help. As long as you make a small payment per month then it is usually okay to carry that balance for years.
beachlovr

 
Old 04-11-2007, 10:50 PM   #8
Senior Member
(female)
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Midwest
Posts: 140
beachlovr HB User
Re: uterine prolapse - hysterectomy??

Patt1836,
Are you still around? I am really busy with 3 kids so didn't get a chance to get back to you until now. I am also a stay-at-home mother.

I had my second opinion with another urogynecologist. She has told me that I am totally fine. That the prolapses I have are totally normal for a person who has had 3 vaginal births. She said that I DO NOT need any type of surgery. She also seemed miffed that these other two (male) urogynecologists had been suggesting surgery to me. It is funny, since she told me this, I don't feel like my uterus feels as heavy. I do agree with your following statement "it seems like once someone tells you you have a problem, you suddenly start feeling it even more". I definitely think that that was what was happening with me.

Please let me know what you found out from your second opinion. I would be interested to know.
Take care,
beachlovr

 
Old 04-23-2007, 09:14 PM   #9
Newbie
(female)
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Dayton, Ohio
Posts: 1
kjohns2 HB User
Uterine and Bladder Prolapse

Hi all! I have been diagnosed with uterine and bladder prolapse at the age of 38, and my doctor is suggesting surgery for both, including a partial hysterectomy. I don't have much attachment to my uterus--I'm done having kids--but wondered if anybody knows about the success of any alternative treatments? I have had some people say it's a great thing, having the partial hyst, but others say I'm too young to need one. I would love to have your opinions! I definitely need some kind of surgery- my uterus is sitting on top of my bladder- but wondered if the hyst makes sense or is over-kill. My doctor said something about doing it now because he thought we would probably need to do it later, anyway, so let's avoid having two seperate surgeries. (That's a paraphrase--that's not the only reason he suggested it!)

Thanks for any advice or past experience you can share.

kj

 
Old 05-06-2007, 01:53 PM   #10
Newbie
(female)
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: canada
Posts: 5
lynnz1954 HB User
Re: uterine prolapse - hysterectomy??

I recently had a vaginal hysterectomy and bladder lift, i am eight weeks post op, i had grade two uterine prolapse, with rectocoele. My uterus was enlarged with huge fibroids.
Basically I think once you have a prolapsed uterus, and it progresses there is no choice but to have the surgery, your cystocoele and or rectocoele will also just get larger and require more of a repair.

I chose a vaginal hysterectomy and I am experiencing a slow recovery, i feel pretty good just a sore lower back if I am up too long,just make sure you have a top notch experienced surgeon and take it very slow post op to heal well.

 
Old 05-07-2007, 09:57 PM   #11
Junior Member
(female)
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Ok
Posts: 12
Tannycita HB User
Re: uterine prolapse - hysterectomy??

Quote:
Originally Posted by lynnz1954 View Post
I recently had a vaginal hysterectomy and bladder lift, i am eight weeks post op, i had grade two uterine prolapse, with rectocoele. My uterus was enlarged with huge fibroids.
Basically I think once you have a prolapsed uterus, and it progresses there is no choice but to have the surgery, your cystocoele and or rectocoele will also just get larger and require more of a repair.

I chose a vaginal hysterectomy and I am experiencing a slow recovery, i feel pretty good just a sore lower back if I am up too long,just make sure you have a top notch experienced surgeon and take it very slow post op to heal well.


Hi, my doctor reccomends a vaginal hysterectomy but I don't have any friends who have had this done. Did you have bladder problems? How does one know whether the bulge in the vagina is from the uterus or bladder? Would appreciate any help please.

 
Old 05-11-2007, 12:42 PM   #12
Junior Member
(female)
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: texas
Posts: 20
anstar HB User
Re: uterine prolapse - hysterectomy??

I had a grade 3 uterine prolapse (and ovaries that were no longer working) so I had a hysto at age 30. (many years ago.) I've never regretted it as I'm totally pain free now, but having had the 'traditional' surgery, recovery was very difficult.

My best friend had a vaginal hysto a couple of years ago and had serious problems during recovery. To be fair though, that may have just been her doctor. <shrug> From what I've heard, the vaginal surgery is a lot easier to recover from, plus the obvious....no giant scar on your abdomen.

Just before Christmas, my mother had to have one and the doctor tried to do the vaginal surgery but mom started bleeding heavily and they couldn't get it stopped, so they had to do the traditional surgery to keep her from bleeding out.

 
Old 05-16-2007, 12:17 PM   #13
Veteran
(female)
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: st louis, mo.
Posts: 430
leea1206 HB Userleea1206 HB User
Re: uterine prolapse - hysterectomy??

Interesting thread. Just wanted to add, my mom has fairly severe uterine prolapse, with the uterus falling out the vagina (3 vaginal births). She is now 80, but has had repeated UTIs because of it.- Many of her friends have had the surgery to lift and attach the uterus back to its normal position. - They said it was the best thing they ever did and wished they had done it sooner.
These ladies were all in there 60s and 70s when they had it done. My mom is now considering it. - She is fairly healthy for 80.

Just a thought, if the prolapse becomes more severe or bothersome.
Best wishes.
Leea

 
Old 06-07-2007, 07:29 PM   #14
Member
(female)
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Indiana
Posts: 63
frazzledparent HB User
Re: uterine prolapse - hysterectomy??

I just had a vaginal hysterectomy due to a uterine prolapse. I'm 46, have two children (one C-section, one vaginal...big baby). I had a stage 2 prolapse and just decided not to wait for it to fall out completely! I'm very satisfied and have experienced no ill side effects. I was able to keep my ovaries so no menopause yet. It's a fairly uncomplicated surgery (vaginally) and the stay in the hospital is minimal (usually). I was out the next day. Good luck.

 
Old 07-11-2007, 07:37 AM   #15
Newbie
(female)
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: US
Posts: 2
cleo58 HB User
Smile Re: uterine prolapse - hysterectomy??

had the surgery on the 9th and am back home. have been taking it easy, although my first day out may have been too long.

Last edited by cleo58; 08-18-2007 at 01:05 PM. Reason: update

 
Closed Thread

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Board Replies Last Post
Severe Uterine Prolapse and cystocele - Pessary or Hysterectomy? tonsils suck Hysterectomy 0 01-31-2010 07:40 PM
uterine prolapse kibblesmay Women's Health 12 10-17-2009 07:56 PM
Uterine prolapse Wheresrunt Women's Health 2 07-14-2009 03:59 AM
hysterectomy for severe uterine prolapse uma_anne Hysterectomy 3 09-12-2008 01:48 PM
Uterine Prolapse & Hysterectomy??? beachlovr Hysterectomy 0 12-21-2006 06:59 PM




Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off




Join Our Newsletter

Stay healthy through tips curated by our health experts.

Whoops,

There was a problem adding your email Try again

Thank You

Your email has been added








TOP THANKED CONTRIBUTORS



STLouisgal (17), slenderella (8), WhistleDixie (8), Titchou (3), Mel52 (2), Datamate226 (2), steelmags (2), sawbuck44 (2), needhealing777 (2), SRMom (2)

Site Wide Totals

teteri66 (1136), MSJayhawk (941), Apollo123 (857), janewhite1 (823), Titchou (773), Gabriel (743), ladybud (667), sammy64 (666), midwest1 (655), BlueSkies14 (610)



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 11:07 AM.



Site owned and operated by HealthBoards.com™
Copyright and Terms of Use © 1998-2014 HealthBoards.comô All rights reserved.
Do not copy or redistribute in any form!