It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Hysterectomy Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-20-2007, 05:13 PM   #1
(female)

Audleynuff1 HB User
Gas pains at 7 weeks

I had a vaginal hystercetomy on 2/28. My cervix and uterus were removed, but both my ovaries were left intact. I experienced mild stomach cramps in the early days after the surgery, but about 3 weeks ago I started experiencing really bad gas and stomach pains. I keep meaning to call my doctor because I am just miserable a lot of the time, but I went back to work at 6 weeks post-op and have been extremely busy. I'm going to go buy some GasX and try that since I read on some of the other posts that it seems to work. Has anyone else experienced this awful gas so many weeks after surgery? I wonder what the heck is causing it and how I can make it go away and get back to my old self?

Old 04-21-2007, 04:48 AM   #2
(female)

djaamm HB User
Re: Gas pains at 7 weeks

I had an abdominal and I did.
I was having gas pains when I went in for my 2 week check-up, and she told me to get something over the counter. I think it was gas-x that I got. The pharmacist told me to get something with Simethicone in it. It helped wonders!!! I then felt fine for a few weeks and then it came back. I asked my Dr at my 6 week check up and she said that it was normal. But she did tell me that if it continued still at about 10-12 weeks to go and see my regular Dr about it.

I am now almost 10 weeks and I am not having anymore symtoms.

I hope your feeling better soon!!!!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-21-2007, 10:01 AM   #3
(female)

Audleynuff1 HB User

Thanks for your reply and advice! I bought some GasX last night. So far, I haven't really noticed it working, but I just took one rather than two tablets. I'll try taking two now. I plan to call my doctor on Monday. Thanks again!~

Old 04-21-2007, 11:57 AM   #4
(female)

jen107 HB User
Wink Re: Gas pains at 7 weeks

I have only been home for 24 hours since my TAH. I am experiencing gas pains and I took some GasX. It seems to be helping. I feel so bloated!

Old 04-21-2007, 08:47 PM   #5
(female)

Suzi Q HB User

I had a hysterectomy 2 years ago. I also experianced a lot of gas pain. The things that worked best for me was reducing my carbonated beverage intake, carefully dancing that fine line between doing too much and sitting on the couch doing nothing, putting something warm onto my abdomen, taking a bath and of course the gasx.

Good luck with your recovery!

Old 04-23-2007, 04:22 PM   #6
(female)

Audleynuff1 HB User

Thanks everyone for the advice. I made an appointment with the ob/gyn for this Thursday morning. I asked the nurse what the doctor will do to determine what has gone wrong since I didn't have these terrible pains in the first 4 weeks after the surgery. She said he'll probably do a pelvic exam again. I don't see how he'll be able to tell anything about my gas pains from a pelvic exam, though!~

Old 04-23-2007, 05:36 PM   #7
(female)

Triple777 HB User

You're right, how could a pelvic tell anything about gas pains? When your uterus is removed, your bowel is displaced. Also, over time your bowel shifts down into the empty space where your uterus was. I had a lot more chronic pain at two months than prior. After I got over the initial horrible pain, it seemed like it was getting better and then I started having pain every day. Gas still hurts more than it ever did in my life, but it's lessened over time (6 months). Hang in there, it takes a long time to recuperate. My GP said six months, others say near a year. Good luck to you. Hugs.

Old 04-23-2007, 09:59 PM   #8
(female)

freckles75 HB User
Wink Re: Gas pains at 7 weeks

Stay away from drinking cold water, milk, and orange juice. Let your water get room temperature before you drink it. (They kept my cup filled while i was in the hospital with iced water and the pain was awful). My aunt told me to stay away from those beverages and any foods that I knew caused me to have gas prior to surgery and my gas pains have decreased greatly.

I hope this works for you!

Old 04-24-2007, 07:36 PM   #9
(female)

Audleynuff1 HB User

The doctor had to cancel my appt. for Thursday, so I'll see the other doctor in the office on Friday. When I asked the nurse on the phone today about why I would be given a pelvic exam to determine the cause of the gas pain, she said she wasn't real sure, but thinks that they might order something to see inside in my stomach area ( I can't remember if she called it a sonogram or something else).

Old 11-12-2007, 04:13 PM   #10
(female)

dough HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Triple777 View Post
You're right, how could a pelvic tell anything about gas pains? When your uterus is removed, your bowel is displaced. Also, over time your bowel shifts down into the empty space where your uterus was. I had a lot more chronic pain at two months than prior. After I got over the initial horrible pain, it seemed like it was getting better and then I started having pain every day. Gas still hurts more than it ever did in my life, but it's lessened over time (6 months). Hang in there, it takes a long time to recuperate. My GP said six months, others say near a year. Good luck to you. Hugs.
I had my hyst.surgery Aug. 24 and had no trouble with gas or bowels but here it is Nov. and since Oct 14, I have gas every day why it took this long to start is a mistry to me but if what you say it can take up to six mo. or more, maybe this is normal for some. The gas can feel just like a heart attack but if I can get the gas up it stops untill the next round, is this how your gas pain was? or still is.

Old 11-13-2007, 05:59 AM   #11
(female)

katgaetani HB User

I had a vaginal hysterectomy 4 weeks ago and have had a few minor complications with infections. I am also noticing that I am experiencing more frequent loose bowel movements. Is this normal after a hysterectomy? I really can't leave my house in the morning. I wake up at 5:00 and am in and out of the bathroom till 11:00 and then it calms down until the afternoon. I wasn't sure if anyone else has had this problem after having the surgery.

Closed Thread