It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Hysterectomy Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-05-2007, 12:45 PM   #1
(female)

kateyuk HB User
Do I really need Hysterectomy?

I live in the UK and am due to go in for abdo' hyst' may 16th. Two months ago I had ultrasound scan that revealed an ovarian cyst approx 21cm by 6cm on my left ovary. Next thing I know I am scheduled for this op and removal of both ovaries as well. I am 55yrs old and have had only three periods in the last 18months. I know I don't need any of the bits any more but I'm worried about all the hot flushes and night sweats coming back. I am in no pain at the moment and have been given no alternative treatment. Any comments would help me to decide whether to go ahead or question this op. By the way the name should read kate uk.lol.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-05-2007, 12:59 PM   #2
(female)

Triple777 HB User
Re: Do I really need Hysterectomy?

A hysterectomy? That is just wrong. Look for another doctor who will just remove the cyst. Keep looking until you find the right doctor. There is no justification for that at all. Search the internet and read about ovarian cysts, they are removed all the time and often they can save your ovary even with a large cyst. The cyst could be on the outside of it, not even in it (which they can't tell from the ultrasound). At worst, the one ovary might need to be removed, but that's all. The fact that you have no pain gives you time to find the right care. A hysterectomy should have never been proposed to you. Your ovaries continue to function after menopause. It would be detrimental for you to lose them. Cancel the op and start looking for a good doctor. You are right to question it. Good luck to you.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-05-2007, 01:56 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

1sunny1 HB User1sunny1 HB User

Always best to get a second opinion. And if you can keep those ovaries, keep them, you need them. Even if it is only one, you need it, life without them could be miserable, I had to have a hysterectomy but I kept my ovaries thank god!

Old 05-05-2007, 04:24 PM   #4
Inactive
(female)

FromSqueaky HB User

My mother was told she neede a complete hysterectomy due to cancer. She had a second opinion done and the doctor told her there was not any cancer in her. She had a 3rd opinion and still not cancer. So If I were you I'd get a second opinion.

She later in life was told that she needed a hysterectomy again and had a few more opinions again and though she did not need a hysterectomy she did need to have one ovary removed. That was 15 years ago. She is 68 now and doing fine with no more problems.

Old 05-06-2007, 11:53 AM   #5
(female)

lynnz1954 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by kateyuk View Post
I live in the UK and am due to go in for abdo' hyst' may 16th. Two months ago I had ultrasound scan that revealed an ovarian cyst approx 21cm by 6cm on my left ovary. Next thing I know I am scheduled for this op and removal of both ovaries as well. I am 55yrs old and have had only three periods in the last 18months. I know I don't need any of the bits any more but I'm worried about all the hot flushes and night sweats coming back. I am in no pain at the moment and have been given no alternative treatment. Any comments would help me to decide whether to go ahead or question this op. By the way the name should read kate uk.lol.
I am not sure why you need a total hysterectomy, instead of just a removal of one ovarian cyst and possible removal of one ovary, a hysterectomy is a major operation and why would they be doing that? I don't see the reasoning?

Old 07-07-2007, 04:49 AM   #6
(female)

judy05 HB User

Hi Kate, I'm a Kiwi living in Australia and had total abdominal hysterectomy 3 weeks ago. I had a 16cm x 12cm cyst on my right ovary. I am 48 years old and before op was menopausal with hot flushes and 6 months between periods. While waiting for my surgery date I was worried the cyst could be malignant and was glad the surgeon was going to cut me from navel to pubic area so he would have heaps of room to have a good look around and remove the cyst in tact. Just before surgery my surgeon said if I wanted he would try to remove just the cyst and not remove my other bits but as ovarian cancer is a major silent killer of women I opted for him to take cervix, uterus, and both ovaries. Fortunately everything taken out was benign but my surgeon found my left ovary also had a small cyst on it, so if it had been left to grow I may have needed further surgery in the future. Your periods are now infrequent and you've already suffered through hot flushes etc, you may find you are almost through menopause and surgery may not make these symptoms reappear. Good luck with whatever you decide.

Closed Thread