It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Hysterectomy Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-14-2007, 08:04 PM   #1
(female)

clarrysage HB User
Re: vaginal or abdominal hysterectomy?

For those who had an abdominal hysterectomy, how long was your incision and did the Dr. use staples?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-14-2007, 11:20 PM   #2
(female)

Suzi Q HB User

my incision is from hip bone to hip bone. And Yes my Doctor used staples.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-20-2007, 04:37 PM   #3
(female)

clarrysage HB User
Re: Incision length and staples?

Suzi Q

Would you say your incision "from hip to hip" would it be more
than 5 inches long?

Old 06-20-2007, 08:24 PM   #4
(female)

Suzi Q HB User

yeah, it is more like 9 inches. I am not sure if that is a normal size though since my doctor what doing more than just a hysterectomy on me at that time.

Old 06-21-2007, 02:37 PM   #5
(female)

tesykatz HB User

My incision was around the 9 to 10 inches in length and I had 22 staples. These were left in for nearly 2 weeks which was my choice as I felt the longer the better. The original suggestion was to have them out within 7 days. My Doctor removed every second one on the Friday and then I returned on the Monday for the rest to be removed. I had no trouble having them removed and there was no pain involved......and the actual incision had healed well with no infection at all........I ended up with a very clean wound site.

Old 06-21-2007, 06:57 PM   #6
(female)

Triple777 HB User

No staples. Four inches, dissolvable stitches. Bikini cut.

Old 06-22-2007, 06:06 AM   #7
(female)

Laura51 HB User

My incision was 9 to 10 inches long and I had lots of staples for 4 days and they were taken out just before I went home. I had alot of endometriosis and it had to be cleaned out plus having a total hysterectomy.

Old 06-22-2007, 09:22 PM   #8
(female)

Ruskingirl HB User

My incision was 9-10 in. long and the Dr. used staples, took them out before I left the hospital and replaced with tapes. That way I didn't have to go back to have them removed.

Last edited by Ruskingirl; 06-23-2007 at 06:55 AM.

Old 06-26-2007, 07:08 PM   #9
(female)

kathyd HB User

My incision is 8 inches long and at the bikini line. I was glued shut as opposed to staples or stitches. The glue held very well. Unfortunately at 4 1/2 weeks out I began leaking large amounts of dark brown, obviously old blood from one end of the incision. I had considerable bruising after the surgery and consequently developed a seroma, which is a pocket of blood clots and gunk. My doctor had to reopen about 4 inches of the incision to clean it out. I am now on a wound vac to speed healing of the opening. Hopefully, it will heal quickly.

Old 06-27-2007, 06:28 PM   #10
(female)

clarrysage HB User

Kathyd,

Oh, my! This incision business really scares me. I asked the Dr. how big the incision would be and she said it's like a smiley face. I don't know about that
as 8 or 9 inches is quite the smiley face I would say. I'm putting this surgery off until fall as I planned my retirement the end of this month (June) and was looking forward to some good times--not being stuck in a hospital bed, right off. Ugh!! I have a cyst on the left ovary that has grown from last year and she wants to remove the cyst along with the uterus, as I have several small fibroids that also have grown. I am postmenapausal so they shouldn't be growing.

Old 07-05-2007, 01:18 AM   #11
Veteran
(female)

bwitht HB User

Clarrysage,

My incision was 10" because I had fibroids so my uterous was 8 times normal size. My doctor did disolvable "hidden" sutures, which are the type plastic surgeons use. The cut was made in my natural skin crease, so now it is totally hidden.

Old 07-05-2007, 06:09 PM   #12
(female)

christina_142 HB User

mine was 9 inches and no staples, he used that cool new tool out, not sure how it works but i had no sutures showing at all.

Old 07-23-2007, 07:46 PM   #13
(female)

clarrysage HB User

I wanted to have a second opinion to see if I could have the vaginal hysterectomy. I'm not sure how large my fibroids are. Maybe that's why I need the abdominal surgery. And, I also have the cyst that's growing on the left ovary. I dread being laid up with 10" incision and staples. I'm in a small town and not much choice of doctors.

I found a another group of GYN's and some do the vaginal hysterectomy. I spoke w/ one of the nurses from that group and she asked the Group name where I was diagnosed, and when I told her, she said that they practically do the same kind of hysterectomy and that I'd probably need to go out of the network to get a different opinion. They all stick together in a small town.
In fact one of the Drs. left the one group to go to the other. So, I know they talk among themselves.

But if there's a chance to have it done vaginally, I want it. I will bring it up again to my surgeon to see why she wants to do an abdominal...what the physical reasons are for it. I do know that two Drs. are in surgery at the time.

Old 08-13-2007, 07:11 AM   #14
(female)

LLB52002 HB User

I had a total hysterectomy. The incision was vertical. Started 2 inches above navel, went around navel and all the way to pubic hair line. 27 staples total. I had a severe case of endometreosis which involved kidneys, badder, bowel and colon. Staple removal was fairly easy and painfree.

Old 08-19-2007, 04:04 PM   #15
(female)

aceykay1021 HB User

I had a Hysterectomy one year ago and I had a 9 1/2 inch incision. But it was very very low and no totally straight across it was more like a smile. The only bad part of the surgery was the air that they blow you up with. It was unreal. Other than that not to bad. I am just glad to feel better!

Closed Thread