It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Hysterectomy Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-03-2007, 07:30 PM   #1
(female)

cpht32 HB User
hysterecomy July 13, need advice please

Hello,

I am scheduled for a complete hysterectomy on Friday July 13, 2007. I have endometreosis, my uterus is dropping, a cist on left ovary, and a period every two weeks. I am wanting to know which method is best for anestisia. He can do it by epederal or by putting me completly asleep. I am a little scared of the epederal. I would also like to know what to expect after surgery. I am 35 and am very scared. Any feedback will be greatly appreciated. Im sorry for the spelling.

Old 07-03-2007, 08:55 PM   #2
(female)

HumbleServant HB User
Re: hysterecomy July 13, need advice please

Hi! I'll share my experience with you. Im 29 years old and had a complete hysterectomy 5 months ago. It was a lap. assisted vaginal surgery, but I believe most was done lap. Personally, I would not want to be awake during the experience. I've had epedurals before and really they weren't a big deal, but I just wouldn't want to be awake during a major surgery.
I had severe endo everywhere, had already had one tube removed exactly one year before and my cervix opening was pulled toward my spine. I was just as nervous as you are, trust me!
I think the number ONE thing you should make absolutely sure of is that your hemoglobin levels are normal before surgery. Mine weren't, I had the surgery anyways and had serious problems resulting from that.
What to expect after surgery:
You may be grumpy LOL I sure was. I woke up fighting mad for no reason (reaction to the anasthesia)
The only real pain I had was from the gas they use to air your abdomen up. The gas presses on your diaphriam, which pushes on a certain nerve that makes your right shoulder hurt something fierce. Some people don't have that problem at all though.
I know that most people are up and ready to go back to work in a few weeks, but I was not allowed to even pull laundry out of the washer for at least 6 weeks.
You may have an emotional breakdown a day or three after surgery (I did) and might think you are losing your ever loving mind. You aren't. Once the estrogen pills kick in you'll be right as rain. It's a big shock to the body to have the ovaries removed like that.
Thats about all I can think of at the moment. Over all, I had a pretty positive experience with the hysterectomy afterwards. I can't even explain how much better my quality of life is now, compared to 5 months ago. And trust me, having a complete hysterecomy at age 29 is pretty scary. But I'm doing just fine!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-05-2007, 12:04 AM   #3
Veteran
(female)

bwitht HB User

My abdominal hysterectomy was 2 years ago and I have never regretted it. I too would recommend general anesthesia. I love watching surgery on TV, but being awake for a major procedure is a little too creepy for me. I did ask if the doctor would record the surgery for me, but he didn't. I was in the hospital 48 hours. I could have gotten out earlier, but I had a reaction to the morphine and was not able to get up and walk for several hours. I do have a high tolerance for pain, so the only thing I needed for pain after the first 3 hours were anti-inflamatories. I was back to work in 2 weeks (10" incision and all). I told the Dr. that I felt so good that it was hard to behave and he said, "You couldn't even behave in the hospital!"

Good luck to you and I firmly believe that a possitive attitude makes for a much quicker recovery. Don't forget to pamper yourself before and after your procedure!

Old 07-05-2007, 05:04 PM   #4
(female)

christina_142 HB User

HI i know you are scared right now, i had a complete hysterectomy march 20th of 2006. it was originally supposed to be a laproscopic vaginal hyst but because of my severe adhesions he ended up having to do it the good old fashion way.

i personally would rather be put under, i have had spinals with both my kids (c sections) and they aren't that bad at all, i just wouldn't want to be awake during a major surgery.

please keep us informed and DON'T WORRY everything will be alright

Last edited by moderator2; 07-05-2007 at 06:01 PM. Reason: please do not post personal webpages - as per the posting policy

Old 07-06-2007, 11:48 PM   #5
(female)

cpht32 HB User

Thank you all for you advice. I am going to be put completly to sleep. I realy hope that this helps. I am tired of surgery. Im 35, and this is my 2nd surgery in 5 months. I had a total thyroidectomy in Feb. I pray that this will be the last surgery I ever have. May God bless each one of you. Thank you so much.

Closed Thread