It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Hysterectomy Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-12-2007, 04:52 PM   #1
(female)

PriceAngeld HB User
Unhappy Having Hysterectomy on Aug. 6th ): What do I expect?

Found out yesterday I will need a Hysterectomy. I have a softball size Fibroid and a lg cyst on my Left ovarie. Have tried Birth control to stop heavy periods, (didn't work) and have severe lower back pain. I am 43 and feeling nervous about surgery. How long for recovery and when can I go back to work? How much pain invoved and will I gain or lose weight? Please help if anyone can?.... PriceAngelD

Old 07-12-2007, 07:28 PM   #2
(female)

Lotty667 HB UserLotty667 HB UserLotty667 HB User
Re: Having Hysterectomy on Aug. 6th ): What do I expect?

I am sorry that you are going through this. Ask your doctor if it is possible to have a vaginal hysterectomy. When I had mine I asked because the recovery time if really minimal. I had mine on a Monday and went back to work full time the following Monday. I had a desk job and had to get up and move around, but really had no problems and was so glad that I checked into it.

If you doctor does not want to do it vaginally find out WHY NOT. My doctor didn't want to do it vaginally because it takes longer!! I told him that I was paying for it and if there wasn't a medical reason not to do that way, then I wanted it done vaginally. I didn't care if he had to work a little longer or a little harder, that's his job, RIGHT???

It you can't have it done vaginally, your looking at a good 6 to 10 week recovery time, depending on how fast you heal and whatnot. They will be cutting through the stomach muscles and that takes a long time to heal. You might be able to go back to work at about 8 weeks, but again, it depends on how fast you heal.

I hope this helps. I'm keeping you in my prayers. My hysterectomy was the best thing I ever did.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-12-2007, 08:43 PM   #3
(female)

momof3rbd HB User

I had a robotic laproscopic vaginal hysterectomy 2 mnts ago.spent one night in hosital, was in terrible pain for 2 days,then it got better every day by one month i felt great sure don,t miss the periods, was able to be sexually active at 6 weeks and its better than ever, i had dealt with endometriosis for years, my advice to you follow all post op advice and u will do great. ps I recomend stool softners fo first few weeks you do not want to strain.

Old 07-13-2007, 12:11 AM   #4
Veteran
(female)

bwitht HB User

I had multiple fibroids. My uterous was 8 times normal size. I had to have an abdominal hysterectomy. I was off morphine within 5 hours of surgery. I only had to take anti-inflamatories after that. I spent 2 nights in the hospital and was allowed to return to work after 2 weeks. I have a potentially dangerous job, but I promised the Dr. that I would only work the graveyard shift when it was most quiet.

Also, I had both ovaries removed. My gyno said that given my age at the time, 43, I really did not need them anymore and ovarian cancer usually does not have any symptoms until it is advanced. Had I been younger, he would not have removed them. I do not take any HRT, got menopause over and done within 3 months. I told a nurse today, "If I had to do it all over again, I would do it TWICE!"

Old 07-13-2007, 12:24 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

Jenn4508 HB UserJenn4508 HB User

I am 44 years old now and had to have a hysterectomy 15 years ago at the age of 29. Back then they did not do the vaginal hysterectomies so the healing time took longer. Due to my age the dr would not remove my ovaries even though I asked for him to remove one of them due to always getting cyst on it. He still would not remove it. At the time I had a 4 1/2 year old and 1 year old at home. I had to keep the kids in daycare as I could not pick up the baby, weight limit. I heard horror stories before mine and it was almost a walk in the park. The first 5 hours post op was bad only b/c of the catheter. Other than that, I really didn't have any problems at all.

Good luck and my thoughts and prayers will be with you

Old 07-13-2007, 07:50 AM   #6
(female)

Suzi Q HB User

I am 25 and had a hysterectomy 2 1/2 years ago. My recovery wasn't as easy as the other ladies that previously posted but everyone kinda has a different experience. I had a lot of pain because there aren't very many pain meds I can take and I didn't know that until then. There is a lot of gas pain involved with having surgery. Those lasted for quite a while after the surgery, like 6 weeks or so. So you'll want to watch what you eat and drink like avoid pop or anything carbonated for that matter. I couldn't sleep in my bed for about 2 weeks after I got home. I could lay flat on it so I just slept on the couch. I needed help getting dressed and also drying off after the shower. I needed someone with me all day and all night but that was partially due to the fact that I had a 4 month old baby that I couldn't do anything with except tell people when she was crying. It took about 6 weeks or so to be able to walk around enough to be able to go to the store or wherever.

Old 07-16-2007, 11:53 AM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

djl HB Userdjl HB Userdjl HB User

I had a hyst everything removed mbut my cervix 2 years ago at the age of 39 due to PCOS and Adenomyosis.
I had it the old fashon way, they cut me open. I couldnt get it done vaginaly because I didnt have any support in the vagina.

It is a rugh re-coop, but I hadled it well. hey it was better then all of the pain and rupturing cysts all the time.
I was in the hospital for 4 days,. they put you on a Moraphine opump (yeah) that will be yopur best friend in the hospital LOL

It was two weeks after they took the staples out . I then at 2 weeks post op went back to work part time. Alot sooner then I should but I made my own hours and it was only 2x a week. I work for my hubby so I am lucky with that. I have a desk job so all I was doing was paper work and I only worked maybe 3 hors on thoses days. It takes about 6 weeks till I realy started feeling good.
But dont be fooled by that. I was 5 months Post op and was outside and through a basketball into a hoop and then fell to my knees in PAIN!!!!!
My doc said it truly takes 1 year to fully recover. So dont push it.

But belive me I DO NOT REGRET IT AT ALL!!
Do what you have to do, belive me it will be worth it!!

Old 07-18-2007, 12:40 AM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

sunshine12 HB Usersunshine12 HB Usersunshine12 HB Usersunshine12 HB User

I had a hysto when I couldn't take the pain from Fibroids. I didn't have a hard time with it, I think I was off work for 8 weeks an that was exactly when I started to feel good again.
The only thing I would change is have it NOT done vaginally. I think it would have been better to be in a little more pain and length of recoup.
I had problems later with holding urine no matter how many kegals I did.
But I was up and walking the next day with min pain. Just no strength and no lifting or driving. Good luck to you

Old 07-19-2007, 02:44 PM   #9
(female)

TIGER5448 HB User

I had my surgery at 43 it was nothing. I have had more fun with getting
hormones regulated.. I would suggest taking as much time off as you can
I took off six weeks and then went back 4hours a day the 1st week back
and 6 hours the next week. By then I was not so tired. Good luck.

Old 07-19-2007, 07:20 PM   #10
(female)

loganone HB User

I had mine on May 10. Vaginal, left the ovaries. I was very surprised at how easy the surgery was. I did not have the need to take any pain meds post op and tried to let the DC me from the hospital that night. I was bloated and that was relieved after the first bowel movement...about 3 days post op. The biggest problem was stamina. I wanted so bad to get up and do things. I washed the kitchen floor on day 5 and then slept for hours. It was a good 4 weeks before I flet like I could truly do normal activities without being tired. Get some good books and a computer. I am back to work and functioning normal. Like I said I was so totally amazed at how easy the surgry was and I physically felt great except for being tired. Good luck

Old 07-21-2007, 03:24 PM   #11
(female)

SSMITH77 HB User

Hi, I am 47 years old and I just had a full abdominal hysterectomy July 10th and I feel quite good! My uterus was also quite large, (that is why you have to have it abdominally instead of vaginal) Plus, being so large, the Dr. wants to look around in there. I was a nervous wreck pre-surgery. Should have taken a valium. I'm shocked at how well I'm doing. I thought I could use my hysterectomy as an excuse NOT to go to my August 4th 30th class reunion but I know I will be able to make it now. It took me 6 days to have a bowl movement. Ouch! I ate prunes/Gas-X and a mild women's laxative. Other than that, the hardest thing to do is NOTHING! I'm already sick of TV and reading. I guess I'll finally tackle my 21 year olds baby book.
I am taking 6 weeks off but I work at a school. I also lost 8 pounds immediately. I don't feel I have a ball inside of me anymore. I've been wanting to lose 20 pounds and I think my enlarged uterus stood in the way.
I am not taking any HRT now. I've had a few hot flashes so we will see at my two week appointment. Other than that, it really is an easy recovery. Good luck to you! I'm sure you will have a smooth recovery!

Closed Thread