It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Hysterectomy Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-15-2007, 02:17 PM   #1
(female)

arileah9 HB User
In desperate need of some advice

Hello everyone,

I am a 26 year old female in need of some advice.

I have been battling with stage 1 endometriosis for the past 11 years. It took them about 9 years to figure out that was my problem. I have been on and off of so many different medications I have lost count. My pain gets so bad sometimes I miss out on work and fun, all I can do is lay in bed and take pain meds with a heating pad on my tummy. For the past 2 years the doctors have had me popping percocet like it was water. I had laparascopic surgery last year, and had a lot of endometriosis removed as well as my appendix. I went about 6 months with no pain and then it was back ten-fold.

I have thought about this long and hard, so I thought but now am having an emotional dilemma. I was sure that a hysterectomy was my answer, I was sick of playing the game, sick of medications, sick of feeling helpless. Now that I am a mere 4 weeks away from my surgery I am having second thoughts. Am I too young to be making such a major decision? If I am having doubts does this mean I should reconsider, or am I just having pre-surgery jitters?

I have tried finding women to talk to about this but so far I either find women in their 40's having this procedure or women my age that already have kids having this procedure. I would love to talk to someone who's situation is a little more simliar to mine and haven't had any luck.

Any help or advice would be appreciated, I am scared out of my mind right now and honestly have nobody I trust to turn to about this.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-16-2007, 05:57 PM   #2
(female)

jacksinn HB User
Re: In desperate need of some advice

I had endo for many years. I had one child by the grace of god and couldnt have any more. I had my hysterectomy at 39. I can relate to the excruciating pain that you go through every month. No one should have to go through that.
Hopefully someone on the boards can talk to you more about your situation. I dont regret having my surgery.

Old 09-08-2007, 08:45 PM   #3
(female)

Lara20 HB User

Hi

I am 27 and no kids and am facing the same decision. I am in no pain because I have been on lupron for years now, but I am tired of the cost as my insurance does not pay for it. Everything I read is about people that are older and in a lot of pain. I would love to get more info.

Last edited by moderator2; 09-09-2007 at 06:11 AM.

Old 09-17-2007, 12:11 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

AnnD HB UserAnnD HB User

"Now that I am a mere 4 weeks away from my surgery I am having second thoughts. Am I too young to be making such a major decision?"
You are not too young to make this decision but you don't say what your 'second thoughts' are. What is it that you are worried about?...my advise is that if you are having second thoughts then you didn't ask enough questions so write down your questions and then either go in for another visit or call and speak to the nurse/doctor re: your concerns.

I had a hysterectomy at age 27 because of similar problems and was more than happy to be done with it(but then I had 4 kids by then). However, I kept one ovary and it kept me from going into surgical menopause. The pain of recovery is no different than anyone with major surgery and they give you the appropriate pain meds etc.

Old 10-04-2007, 12:01 AM   #5
(female)

amie95 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by arileah9 View Post
Hello everyone,

I am a 26 year old female in need of some advice.

I have been battling with stage 1 endometriosis for the past 11 years. It took them about 9 years to figure out that was my problem. I have been on and off of so many different medications I have lost count. My pain gets so bad sometimes I miss out on work and fun, all I can do is lay in bed and take pain meds with a heating pad on my tummy. For the past 2 years the doctors have had me popping percocet like it was water. I had laparascopic surgery last year, and had a lot of endometriosis removed as well as my appendix. I went about 6 months with no pain and then it was back ten-fold.

I have thought about this long and hard, so I thought but now am having an emotional dilemma. I was sure that a hysterectomy was my answer, I was sick of playing the game, sick of medications, sick of feeling helpless. Now that I am a mere 4 weeks away from my surgery I am having second thoughts. Am I too young to be making such a major decision? If I am having doubts does this mean I should reconsider, or am I just having pre-surgery jitters?

I have tried finding women to talk to about this but so far I either find women in their 40's having this procedure or women my age that already have kids having this procedure. I would love to talk to someone who's situation is a little more simliar to mine and haven't had any luck.

Any help or advice would be appreciated, I am scared out of my mind right now and honestly have nobody I trust to turn to about this.
I am 30 years old and had my hysterectomy in august. I have no children so I understand your train of thought here. If you are having second thoughts please talk to your dr. I had the same exact symptoms you are experiencing. I missed out on my life and just wanted the pain to end.

I was terrified to have my surgery. Luckily I was able to talk to my mom about it. She had her hysterectomy 15 yrs ago and she was a blessing. I heard "horror" stories form 1 woman and I heard happy endings from about 5 women. I decided that if I could not be in pain constantly and improve my quality of life it was worth it.

Keep in mind that if your doc does not remove your ovaries you could always get a surrogate to carry children if you eventually decide you want children. TALK to your doc about your options. Express that you may want children someday. TALK to your doc about your fears going into this surgery. And research all you can on the subject.

Remember, you are not alone. There are alot of us under the age of 35 and childless who have done this. It was the best decision I ever made. Get back with me if you need to talk some more. I will be glad to help anyway I can.

Old 10-11-2007, 12:34 PM   #6
(female)

arileah9 HB User

Well everyone, I am a little under a month out of surgery, after many discussions with doctors, family, friends, and everyone on here I made the decision to get a full fledged hysterectomy. I was incredibly sick of being in so much pain, taking pain killers, trying out a variety of drugs, etc. I am definitely happy with my decision. It has been a physical and emotional battle in recovery so far, but luckily I have worked through it with the help from so many loved ones. The pain I have felt from recovery was not nearly as bad as my normal monthly pains, and this is my first month without it and I know I have not a single regret. Working through the menopausal side of it has been extremely rough, but I know it is something that will take time. I am in the process of looking into more natural hormones, as I do not think being on birth control for the next 25 years of my life is a smart decision. If anyone has any info about naturalistic alternatives I would greatly appreciate it. Thansk to everyone for your feedback, it helped me a lot.

Old 11-13-2007, 05:45 AM   #7
(female)

katgaetani HB User

When I was younger I had the same problems with pain and they really didn't know what caused it. I was put on birth control pills (all different types) which didn't work. Finally I got pregnant and for some reason the agonizing pain stopped. Then I had my tubes tied after my fifth child and the pain started up again. I went through an endometrial ablation for fibroids and heavy bleeding. THis would only last 9 months then the symptons started again and I recently had a vaginal hysterectomy. The surgery went well, but I ended back in the hospital with an infection which is a risk. I was sent home after a two day stay and put on antibiotics for 10 days. I went back as I was still having a fever and had a urinary tract infection which I was put on more antibiotics. It has been 4 weeks now and my fever is gone, but now have pelvic pain, burning and lower back pain. I am going back to the doctor again. I think what I want to say is talk to your doctor first especially if you are a young lady. Maybe having a child will stop the pain for a while and you wont miss out on having your own. If the pain is so unbearable and the doctor tells you that getting pregnant won't change that, get a second opinion then decide. I am glad I had my surgery but because I was done having my family. If you have to go this way, I suggest the vaginal hysterectomy. No staples and the healing time is quick for most. Unless your in the percentage like me. I know I will be better and can't wait. Good luck in your decision and I hope my advice helps.

Closed Thread