It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Hysterectomy Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-12-2007, 05:00 AM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

vickie45 HB Uservickie45 HB User
Question is taking hrt safe i lost 1 ovary jan 2006.need advice.

Hi All In Jan 2006 I Had My Left Ovary And Tube Removed Then 2 Weeks Later I Went Into Sudden Meno Then 2 Mos Later I Leveled Back Out And Got My Perioud ,ok Had 1 From March Till Dec 06 ,ok Jan 07 I Found Out I Have Thyrold Illness Ok Im Now On Thyrold Meds I Dont Feel Different For One My One Dr Overmedicated Me On My Thyrold Meds So I Had To Stop For 6 Weeks And Try Again But The Whole 6 Weeks I Was Off Them I Felt Good I Had No Depression Nor Crying No Sweatness I Felt Good But Then When I Got To The 6 Weeks I Had To Go Back On Thyrold Meds Because I Was Starting To Feel Horrible Again ,right Now What I Feel Is Im Stressed More Then Anything My Labs Say Meno But Each Dr Is Different But I Might Be In Meno But Im More Stressed Then Anything Else My Husband ,and My Kids .have Any Of You Ever Passed Out From Having A Ovary Taken Out ?? And How Save Is Hrt My Sister Said The Patch Is Good Breast Cancer Does Not Run In My Family If I Was Too Take Hrt Would It Make Me Feel Better Right Now I Have No Energy But Im Told Thyrold Does This To You Also But My Levels Arent Within Normal Range When I Was Within Range Before The Dr Overmedicated Me I Was Feeling Pretty Good ,right After Surgery I Ended Up With Panic Attacks Couldnt Sleep Cried Nonstop Couldnt Eat And Was Terrifed About Being Alone And I Was A Mess .ok My Panic Is About Gone Im Suffering More With Stress Then Anything But Iam Going To Gyn Next Week What Does The Hrt Do For You ?does It Help With Sexdrive And Will It Help Give Me Back My Life I Been Home Since My Surgery Then I Was Put On Xanax Im Getting Off Them Though And Im A Bit Confused Because When I Stopped The Thyrold Meds I Felt Great Up Till The 6 Week Right Now Im Ok I Dont Get Hot Just Ever So Often Im More Cold Then Hot And Never Have Nightsweats I Cry But Its Because Im So Stressed Out Over My Life (family) So If Iam In Meno Will Hrt Help And Also Do You Have To Be Weened Off This Med Since I Hear You Dont Stay On Them That Long I Just Want My Life Back See I Was Having Fainting Spells So Far After Starting Back On My Thyrold Meds Today Is Day 6 And Havent Since Im Thinking My Passingout/fainting Is From Stress Can Stress Do This Also ???
And Help And Advice Would Be Helpfull
Thanks
Vickie

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-12-2007, 10:46 AM   #2
(female)

julie2222 HB User
Re: is taking hrt safe i lost 1 ovary jan 2006.need advice.

Hi Vicky, Haven't taken HRT since my hysterectomy because of a blood clotting disorder and had breast cancer two years ago, so not able to take anything, but from talking to friends, some think HRT is the greatest thing, others have had an awful time on it. All I can tell you is my experience. Hysterectomy 7 - 8 weeks ago and felt paranoid, tearful, very jumpy and quick tempered in the first few weeks. Felt very depressed. Dr put me on an anti-depressant, but only took for about a week. Felt worse for taking them. Symptoms are gradually easing. If you are extremely stressed because of family or other reasons this is probably contributing in a big way to your symptoms. Was in the middle of a divorce when my breast cancer was diagnosed and had a total of 5 ops for reconstruction because of infections etc. and in the year following this had many panic attacks when I felt as if the room was spinning and felt as if I was going to pass out. Room would feel as if it was spinning and I would cry uncontrollably. This was all stress related, divorce, cancer, surgery and all the money worries that went with it. My Dr put me on Prozac at the time, which did chill me out a lot and enabled me to get through the worst of it. I am not on them now. Been off them for about 9 months and as I say didn't really want to go back on them. As for thyroid problems, a work colleague was much the same as yourself. She is a lady of 58 and has had thyroid problems for about a year and felt really ill and down with it. As for sex drive always thought this was supposed to drop when you had your ovaries out anyway and was quite anxious about that, but so far although early days that certainly doesn't seem to be the case. I have heard that HRT helps with sex drive, but I think if you are really stressed and anxious this is probably contributing to lack of sex drive. I have great days, good days and sometimes awful days, but just trying to work through it.

I think you need to go back and see Doc and get all the advice on HRT that you can.

Best of luck.

Julie

Old 09-12-2007, 02:01 PM   #3
(female)

peacefrog HB User

I've been on Premarin for 14 years. I only take one every other day, just enough to kep the hot flashes and bladder incontinence at bay. I notice a mood change if I don't take them. I know they say not to take them for so long, but my dr said if its working don't mess with it. Hope you find some relief soon.

Old 09-12-2007, 06:19 PM   #4
Facilitator
(female)

Titchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB User

I was on FemHrt for 4 years and have recently switched to Activella due to insurance issues. You couldn't pay me to take it away! I'll be on it till I die...
doctor says as long as I have my yearly exams, not to worry about taking it.
No one can stand to be around me when I'm not on it...I can't even stand myself!

Old 09-12-2007, 07:28 PM   #5
(female)

peacefrog HB User

Titchou, I'm with you. I always say I don't take it so much for me as for the ones who have to live with me.

Old 09-13-2007, 11:56 AM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

AnnD HB UserAnnD HB User

Man...take a deep breath!whew! you have had a lot messin you up in just a short period of time. Taking just one ovary should not of put you in Menopause however, I'm not sure of your age. Then your thyroid goes haywire! yikes...and then back surgery. Yes I am thinkin you are stressed to the max. Just the fact your hormones are running amuck and your thryroid is not right you are in for a very long few years. The thyroid is the powerhouse of the body...it controls your heat/cold and your bowels and welll you name it it controls it so when it is out of commission you know it. But then on that same note I have found that menopause symptoms are kind of the same so ya never know which one is giving you the current problem...but trust me you eventually figure it all out. I went into menopause and a thyroid storm all on the same day some 10 years ago and it has taken all these years to feel like I have some control over what is going on with my body. No.. you will never feel the same so the first thing you do is find a sense of humor because you are going to need it. I have been on Premarin for 10 years. My new doctor wanted me off but my body rebelled big time so she has decided I am someone that really needs to continue to take them. The biggest thing is to know how you feel so you now need to just spend the next few years getting to know how you feel and what medications make you feel good. The doctors don't know and we can't tell you. You need to become your own advocate as to what you need or don't need. Get very acquainted with your lab numbers and when you feel good and what dosage do you feel best at. It takes about 2 months on each dosage of thyroid to know if that amount is going to work for you. This is not something you can depend on your doctor to do. Hopefully you are involved with an endocrine doc/clinic because this is a very specialized field that most general doc don't know enough about. No one knows can diagnoise if the symptoms are either related to meno or thyroid so don't even try to figure it out they all become so blurred. Just treat the symptoms. In a few years you will be able to tell your doctor what dosage is working for you. But I personally have never returned to my 'oldself'. Everyday is a new day and you are happy if everything on your body works right! Because about the time you figure it all out you get the flu or you need surgery or you get another diagnosis and have to take something else forevery. UGH. Just TRY to relax...get lots of rest and let your family/husband know how you are doing because to them you look the same but man your insides are upside down. good luck.

Old 10-14-2007, 08:34 PM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

ladybug8372 HB User

peacefrog.....i would really consider changing to something different. my cousin took premarin for 25 years.......developed breast cancer....took chemo/radiation got rid of it.....came back in her liver a year later.......she died last christmas. they are blaming the HRT for her cancer. as she shouldnt have taken it for more than 5 years.

Closed Thread