It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Hysterectomy Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-14-2007, 02:54 AM   #1
(female)

julie2222 HB User
Muffin Top Belly following abdominal hysterectomy

Hi to all,
Just curious to know if anyone else has the muffin top type belly hanging over the abdominal hyst scar and how long it took to go down. Had my TAH 8 weeks ago, and although the swelling is reducing still have this "muffin top" over the scar. Some friends have said they never got rid of it, others said it gradually went over a few months to a year. Starting buying "bridget jones" style big pants to pull it in which do help, but just wondering if anyone else has the same problem. Apparently this also happens with caesarian scars, but as I didn't have a c section with either of my two children haven't had this experience. Have tried swimming and exercise to see if this will help.

The following user gives a hug of support to julie2222:
dmhm (09-02-2011)
Old 09-15-2007, 09:06 PM   #2
(female)

Suzi Q HB User
Re: Muffin Top Belly following abdominal hysterectomy

It is totally normal. I had a complete abdominal hyterectomy 2 1/2 years ago and I still have the "muffin top." I think that I am stuck with mine for life. My mom had a hysterectomy when she was 30 and had never been able to get rid of it either. So unfortunatly you are not alone.

The following user gives a hug of support to Suzi Q:
dmhm (09-02-2011)
Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-15-2007, 10:36 PM   #3
(female)

Chickychick HB User

I have had two C-Sections, but never had much body fat. Did you have abdominal fat before the surgery? If so, this is could happen. If it is fat, all you have to do is cardiovascular exercise to burn this belly fat.

Old 09-16-2007, 04:52 AM   #4
(female)

julie2222 HB User

No, as it happens, didn't have much body fat at all. Only an english size 8 - 10 with a fairly flattish tummy before, so I don't know why it is like this. However it is early days, so hope I see a difference in time. Friends say I am too impatient expecting it just to go down that quickly.

Old 09-19-2007, 10:57 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

AnnD HB UserAnnD HB User

This is a difficult thing to predict because it has to do with so many things. I had an abdominal Hyst years ago and never had a 'muffin top'. It would depend on your body type, your genetics, your doctors surgical skills and what school of thought he does his surgery by...every doctor does it just a bit different. My guess is if you have it then it will always be there....actually I have never known anyone that had a "muffin top" from this surgery.

The Following User Says Thank You to AnnD For This Useful Post:
dmhm (09-02-2011)
Old 09-20-2007, 12:30 AM   #6
(female)

julie2222 HB User

Hi Ann
Thanks for your comments.
It actually seems to be going down gradually. Have noticed a difference in the last week even. Think the more I do the more it seems to tighten up, starting going to gym and swimming again. Hopefully this will make a difference.

Closed Thread