It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Hysterectomy Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-06-2007, 04:09 AM   #1
(female)

ellagail HB User
hysterectomy do i leave in my ovaries im 47, will i need HRT and is it the same as t

hysterectomy do i leave in my ovaries

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-06-2007, 09:05 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

1sunny1 HB User1sunny1 HB User
Re: hysterectomy do i leave in my ovaries im 47, will i need HRT and is it the same

Quote:
Originally Posted by ellagail View Post
hysterectomy do i leave in my ovaries
If there is nothing wrong with your ovaries, leave them in, you need them, definitely leave them in. In my case, I left them in and I still used the estroderm patch, never had any problems with the patch or anything else.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-06-2007, 09:11 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

AnnD HB UserAnnD HB User
Re: hysterectomy do i leave in my ovaries im 47, will i need HRT and is it the same

It depends on if there is anything wrong with them or if you are already in menopause. It is always best to keep one or both if you can.

Old 10-07-2007, 06:44 PM   #4
(female)

Jade'sJustice HB User

Tomorrow I'm having a hysterectomy, oophorectomy (removing ovaries) and laparoscopy to remove endometriosis. In considering whether or not to remove the ovaries, I did extensive research and consulted with my Doctor. Fortunately I have a wonderful doctor whom I can trust. Ideally, that is the best for making these sort of decisions. Find a doctor you can trust, who is competent as well as caring, and educate yourself about your options.

Good luck to you.

Old 11-04-2007, 07:24 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

sunnydaze1 HB User

I had a hysterectomy in January and chose to leave my ovaries, as long as my doctor felt they looked okay, and was 51.

I'm now 52 and still ovulate every month. I go through the ovulation phase; breast tenderness, and yes, PMS. But at least I have my own hormones. I look at it this way...I'm having the PMS without the monthly mess, so I'm okay with it.

Also, I will probably be aware when I do go into menopause as I'm pretty in tune with my body. So far, I've gone without 9 months of periods that I otherwise would have had and will still have. No hot flashes here yet!

Old 11-20-2007, 06:52 PM   #6
(female)

frazzledparent HB User

Hi,

I'm 46 and had a hysterectomy this past May. I left my ovaries in and I guess I would suggest that route if they are healthy. I didn't want to throw myself into menopause any earlier than I had to. I feel great. I don't experience the breast tenderness that someone else had mentioned. My doctor told me that the tenderness felt just before menstruation was triggered by the uterus. I did seem to feel that for the first couple of months after the hysterectomy but haven't felt it in many months. I'm very happy with the results of my surgery. It was a vaginal hysterectomy and the recover period was minimal. It's so nice not to have to worry about a period anymore!!!!

Karen

Closed Thread