It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Hysterectomy Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-11-2007, 06:38 PM   #1
(female)

clarrysage HB User
Lap Surgery Went Great

Had my lap hysterectomy yesterday and came home today.
Worst part was the anesthesiologist trying twice to put my IV in. I asked
for someone else to do it after the two sticks so he got someone else. That was the last thing I remembered until I work up in recovery. Fell back asleep and woke up in my room with the TV playing. After the bed was cranked up a little and I drank a llittle ice water the fog lifted. Best news--I had absolutely no pain! Still don't have pain. Toridol was in the IV. Had a liquid lunch, few hours later the catheter came out and nurse walked down the hall with me.

When the Dr. came in I was eating dinner from my chair. He asked "where is the patient?" Said I was doing great, and I when I was discharged this am. I took two percocet . Just took one at 7 p.m. and will keep in my system overnight. Only had slight gas pressure in my right shoulder that first night when lying down for a short time.

I had a 125 mi trip home. We stopped on the way at TIGFriday's where I had soup/salad. Then stopped at Wegman's grocery store for about 15 minutes.

I have two small cuts above the hip bones which are a bit swollen. They stiched on the inside and glued on the outside.

No gas pains at all, even had a BM this morning before I left the hospital. They did give me colace with each meal. Hope everything continues this well. We'll see how I feel tomorrow. Hope I didn't overdo it today. It's hard to keep me down.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-12-2007, 09:40 AM   #2
(female)

Carol1831 HB User
Re: Lap Surgery Went Great

ClarrySage, Was thinking of you. Glad to hear the operation is over and sounds like you are doing very well. What did they wind up taking out of you? Remeber the GasX should you feel discomfort in your tummy. Continue to feel good!

Old 10-12-2007, 10:39 AM   #3
(female)

clarrysage HB User

Carol1831

They took everything. It was a total laparoscopic hysterectomy- bilateral salpingo-oophorectomy. This included the uterus and cervix.
the cyst on the left ovary was benign; I had several fibroids in the uterus.

I just feel kind of sore and tender at the incision sites. No pain, or gas pains, although I am keeping up with the colace and percocet. I did buy some gas x, just in case.

How are you getting along now?

Old 10-12-2007, 02:54 PM   #4
(female)

blanche42 HB User

Hi, after reading your story (after reading many others and getting increasingly worried) I now feel more positive about my op on 26th.
Thanks for sharing your experiance

Old 10-12-2007, 07:07 PM   #5
(female)

clarrysage HB User

You're welcome. Yes, I too was expecting the worse after reading some of the posts here, but, my experience was VERY positive.

Probably the worst part was the "crying" babies. They put me on the OB/GYN floor and the crying babies kept me awake at night.

I'm a side sleeper, and started out lying flat on my back since the incisions were on my sides and I didn't want to disturb them. This was unnatural for me and uncomfortable. The nurse told me not to worry about lying on my side. She said it was more important that I got a good night's sleep. So, I laid on my side and it didn't bother the incisions one bit.

Good luck, Blanche. Don't give it a second thought and you'll do fine!

Old 10-13-2007, 04:24 AM   #6
(female)

blanche42 HB User

Thanks for that, your comments are really appreciated. Happy convalescence to you, hope my outcome is a positive as yours. hugs to you!

Old 10-13-2007, 09:51 AM   #7
(female)

Carol1831 HB User

ClarrySage, Glad to hear you are doing well. I too am feeling better each day. I never had any real pain, just uncomfortable feelings. I only took 1 pain pill after the surgery. I felt the GasX was helping me more. Five weeks post op and after an outing I feel like I have two baseballs in my sides. It is a bearable feeling. I only had to go to my surgeon at the 2 week point. He gave me an internal and said everything felt good???? Then he said to go to my gyno at the 12 week mark. I still have a few stitches sticking out of two of the port holes. Can't pull them out. Tried. You continue to feel good!
Blanche, The waiting for the surgery is the hardes part. It is really not that bad. Some days you will feel good and other days you will not entirely feel yourself. It is a long healing process. The best way I can explain it (the recovery) it you take two steps forward and one step back each day. You will be fine.

Old 10-13-2007, 12:35 PM   #8
(female)

blanche42 HB User
Smile Re: Lap Surgery Went Great

Will bear that in mind Carol, when I'm having 'a bad day' Thanks alot. Its comforting to speak to others who have been through the same. Hope your 'good days' continue. Best of luck for the future.

Old 10-14-2007, 01:41 PM   #9
(female)

clarrysage HB User

Carol1831,

As I remember you also had the gall bladder surgery. You didn't just have the
simple Lap hysterectomy. So you are found to feel as you have. Today, I feel kind of weak.

Bored, so a friend came over and drove me down the street about 8 blocks to see her mother's new home for about 20 minutes. I took a pillow along just in case for the ride, and sure enough, it was too much for me. Started feeling dizzy and was glad to get back to the sofa. Doctor said NO CAR RIDES until the end of 2ND WEEK.

I'm keeping up with the stool softeners and everything is working on that end.
Beautiful day here in central PA. Wish I could get out, but it's best to wait it out and heal properly.

Will you be taking any hormones? Dr. gave me script for low dosage premarin. Not sure how I feel about taking it.

Old 10-14-2007, 03:57 PM   #10
(female)

Carol1831 HB User

Good Evening Ladies, Had a good day today. I think I lost the last of the stitches on my 5 tummy holes. Thought they would never go away. No, ClarrySage I will not be taking hormones. I had a breast tumor (benign) years ago, and I think hormones should not be taken by anyone prone to tumors. Also I think that heart attacks and strokes are sometimes caused by hormones when older women take them. They say younger women can take them. But I was in menopause for 1 1/2 yrs. I just bought a little battery fan and that is my hormones (ha ha). The hot flashes I am now having are terrible. They come mostly at night. But it is like someone is pointing a blow tourch at me. Don't overdo, Clarry . This healing process takes time, a long time and you don't want to have any set backs. Have a good week , ladies.

Old 10-14-2007, 08:10 PM   #11
Senior Veteran
(female)

ladybug8372 HB User

just to let you know. i had my total hyst. 6 weeks ago this coming wednesday. it was a breeze!!!!!!! after i woke up....i was asking for food...lol...they told me i could only have liquids....i said "you have got to be kidding me??"....so after eating soup, and a popsicle, and drinking water....i was still feeling really good. so after an hour...i begged the nurse for REAL food..lol. she said she didnt think i could have any...i told her to call the doctor!!! he told her that as long as i wasnt nauseaous, etc...i could have whatever i wanted. so my dh got me a chicken sandwich from chick-fil-a.

later that evening, my dr came to check on me....he said "are you SURE you had surgery??? (because i was sitting up in bed laughing, talking, etc)....and i said "i dont know, i am beginning to wonder!!"...no pain at all!!!!!!!!! the only meds i was on was a stool softener and ibuprofen. thats all i used the entire time!! since i was doing so well, i asked the dr if they could/would unhook me from all the machines....catheter, iv's, etc....i didnt need them!!! lol. so he told the nurses to....and this was just like 4-5 hours after coming out of recovery room.

i came home the next day. another lesson for you.......have a loose gown........NOT loose pajama pants....i thought i was covered with my loose pajama pants....NOT!! lol. your belly will be swelled....so no matter how big your pjs are on you before surgery....it will be tight after surgery. so i had dh to take me to the store a few hours after i came home....and i got me a LOOSE gown...LOL. (thats how good you feel after surgery....to be able to say "take me to the store!..lol)

my incisions were tender...but not unbearable at all. the only "pain" (more of a discomfort) was when my bladder was filling up....the first few days...you will feel sore if you hold it...so as soon as you feel like you need to pee....GO!!! dont let it build up...or it will hurt to walk to the bathroom. even if its just a small dab of pee...dont let it build up!! i remained on ibuprofen for the first week...weaning myself off a little at a time to see how long i could go before discomfort set in. the only other problem i had was getting rid of the gas (thank GOD it was just in a burping way!!!)....lol. i had my dh to buy me some mylicon...(he got baby drops...but it done the trick)....it took 3 days to expel all of that gas!! after that....it was smmmoooooth sailing!!!! it was VERY HARD to remember that i just had surgery and to not do anything!!! id catch myself doing things that i shouldnt be doing....but i just felt so good...that i didnt think!!! you wont be able to do much walking for at least 3 weeks....we took my girls to the fair just 3 weeks after surgery....after 3.5 hours of walking...i started getting sore....so i had dh to bring me home before i regretted it. was a tad sore the next day....but the following day i was fine. we tried it again one week later....i was fine...and had walked about 4 hours that time.

i did start getting hot flashes....mainly at night....about 2 weeks after surgery. i tried the black cohosh...not wanting to go on HRT. wondering if it was making a difference, i stopped taking it last week.......no difference at all. my hot flashes are not bad at all. THANK GOD!!! i hate it when it happens....but it isnt severe and only lasts a few seconds. ive only woke up one time sweating.

hope all of this helps for ones that are facing this surgery. it really isnt that bad! what makes it so funny is that i had a root canaled tooth to get infected (had a temp crown on it) one week after surgery.......this was the
2nd time it had gotten infected for no apparent reason, in 2 months...and they had told me that if it got infected again, all they could do is pull it..........so....exactly one week after surgery......i drove myself to the dentist and had it pulled!!! i told the receptionist that i had just had a hysterectomy and done better with it than with the tooth........she was amazed!!!!!!! BUT ladies..........do not drive for 2 weeks unless its necessary!!!! i placed a THICK heavy towel around my belly under the seatbelt. your reactions are MUCH slower...because you fear the seatbelt hurting your incisions....and it does cause some discomfort, even with the towel and you really dont react as fast!! ........so dont think that just because i drove after 1 week, that its ok to do so. stick with the drs orders of no driving for those 2 weeks....no point in putting yourself at risk!

Old 10-15-2007, 07:17 AM   #12
(female)

clarrysage HB User

Ladybug,

Did you have the lap hysterectomy? What did they remove--everything?
Like you, I had a gret experience, better than I thought it would be.

Did your Dr. give you a script for HRT? He gave me lowest doage of premarin, whcih I haven't gotten filled. I did notice, like you, more hot flashes than I ever had. Also, I occasionally get chilled. So, I'm putting on and taking off my sweater. In the past, hot flashes were never really a problem, but after this hysterectomy, they are coming more to the surface.

I;m wondering if this is just our bodies getting "readjusted".

Continue to feel good. I am now 5 days post-op. I had no gas pains whatsoever. I'm taking colace at night and this helps with the BM.

Old 10-15-2007, 08:34 AM   #13
Senior Veteran
(female)

ladybug8372 HB User

hey clarrysage. yes i had the lap hysterectomy...3 incisons, one on each side where ovaries were, and one in my belly button. he removed everything. no he didnt give me any HRT's as of yet, anyway. I go today for my 6 week post-op..so Im sure hes going to try to throw that in there. But unless the symptoms get worse..I dont plan to take anything at all. the last few nights i have gotten to where i wake up freezing in the middle of the night...but just thought that it was because i had the fan on and no heat on. (nights are in the upper 40's to low 50's). that wouldnt be a part of "menopause" would it? im 35, so havent really experienced any "menopausal" problems prior to surgery....except when i was on lupron injections...first time, it wasnt that bad....second time...it was a nightmare!!!
so as long as it doesnt get as bad as it did with the injections...i dont plan on taking anything...and if it does get bad...i will try natural OTC stuff before i do HRT! i am totally against HRT even though my gyn thinks its safe to use. i personally dont trust it. im glad that you are having a great recovery time as well.

Old 10-15-2007, 01:54 PM   #14
(female)

clarrysage HB User

Ladybug8372,

Just like you I've woken up in the night feeling chilled. Then I also got what I call "night sweats." Just enought to wake me up and then it goes away.

I think a lot has to do with the adjustments our bodies have to go through just having the surgery. Every once in a while I feel chilled, then warm. I think it will just take some time. I try to eat healthy, exercise, etc. and I'm 57. I occasionally had post-menapausal symptoms before so I'm not surprised with feeling hot flashes now.

A friend who was in her 40's had a complete hysterectomy and never took
hormones and she doesn't have hot flashes or any symptoms. It could be that she being heavy may have something to do with it. I weigh about 135 and am 5'3".

I think, too, that stress can bring on symptoms. So, just sit back and enjoy life. Laugh, and live your life not dwelling on past surgeries. Life is so short anyways that we might as well dwell on the positives.
Good luck at your check up. Ask Dr. questions.

Old 10-15-2007, 04:18 PM   #15
Senior Veteran
(female)

ladybug8372 HB User

my 6 week post op went good. the dr said that im to come back in 6 months for another check-up. he said that he will discuss HRT then...but im not gonna do it!!! ha! im 5'4 and weigh a bit more than you..lol...150. but yeah, as long as the symptoms are no worse than this...i will be just fine!!

Closed Thread