It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Hysterectomy Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-04-2008, 11:06 AM   #1
(female)

lourash HB User
ovarian cysts after partial hysterectomy

i had a partial hysterectomy and kept my cervix and ovaries. that was a few years ago. Over the last 4 years I keep getting complex cysts on only my right ovary. I was told I could think about getting the ovary removed , but most docs won't touch me when it comes to abdominal surgery. I have lots of adhesions and scar tissue from the other 6 surgeries 3 c-sections and a tubal ligation and then reversing the tubal to get pregnant and then another c-section and then a hysterectomy for lots of blood loss. My scar runs from my navel down and its quit nasty looking. the last couple of surgeries were hell cause of all the adhersions. For the last week I have had pain again , and I think its my ovary again.
a few years ago they did a c125 blood test to make sure it was not cancer , I have had at least 4 cysts since then and no blood tests only pain reliever. And on top of that I feel crampy and I am bloated big time. Anyone else have this problem after hysterectomy???

The following 2 users give hugs of support to: lourash
1kevinkeon (11-05-2010), acbljs (03-22-2011)
Old 01-05-2008, 09:27 AM   #2
Inactive
(female)

Shshi HB UserShshi HB User
Re: ovarian cysts after partial hysterectomy

Hi,

I had a total abdominal hysterectomy five years ago, but kept both ovaries. In 2005, I went to the ER in extreme pain and was diagnosed with a complex ovarian cyst. I had several other cysts over the last two years, some functional, some complex.

In August, I had an ultrasound which showed a 4-cm complex, solid tumor on my left ovary and a functional cyst on my right ovary. Since I'm 45 years old, my doctor suggested having what was left of my ovaries removed (his words.)

I was scheduled for same-day surgery on December 19 to remove both ovaries laparoscopically. However, when the doctor started the procedure, he found too much scar tissue and adhesions and ended up having to do an open procedure. He said it was a mess in there - my ovaries and fallopian tubes were stuck to my pelvic walls and to my colon. He finally got everything out, but I ended up with an 8" incision and a four-day hospital stay.

I'm doing great now though. It's been 2 1/2 weeks since my surgery and my incision has healed and I'm up and around and feeling much better. The pain, bloating, urinary, and bowel problems I was having because of the cysts are gone, and I feel much better.

Good luck with your situation. I hope you can get some relief soon.

Hugs,

Lisa

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-21-2008, 07:45 AM   #3
(female)

shannonb72 HB User

Hi Lisa, I am having the worst pain inside and out. Like you, I had a hysterectomy that took my uterus and cervix, and left my ovaries. I dont know why he left them, i think because of my age, but my right one was full of fibroids. Now 16 months later, i am being treated for IBS, which is pure hell, no meds can touch it. the drs are baffled by my symptoms, but now, i am learning from your experience and others, that my pain during intercourse can be from and abnormality from an organ, possibly my ovaries, or bladder or even my colon. I am scheduled for a colonoscopy and ct scan on the 29th of Jan. I have dealt with this pain since b4 my hyst. in sept of 06. now since thanksgiving I have been in bad pain, with almost no relief, from my pelvic area all the way up to my liver, all on the right side. I do hope that with the colonoscopy and ct scan that they find what is really wrong. I am hoping for something that can be treated without surgery.

Good luck with you, and wishes for good health.

shannon

The following user gives a hug of support to shannonb72:
bettyboop41 (03-10-2011)
Old 01-26-2008, 06:48 PM   #4
(female)

Peg24 HB User

Ladies,

Let me ask you all a question.

I had a partial hysterectomy about 10 years, which means of coarse I still have my ovaries.

For the last 3 weeks I have been having what feels like menstrual cramps. Since cramps are contraction of the uterus and I don't have one, what is this?

I also have low back pain and I feel bloated.

My question is, what does the pain feel like when you have a cyst on your ovaries?

I am scheduled for an ultrasound on Tuesday. I am disappointed though the doctor did not prescribe a transvaginal ultrasound. I hope a regular one will show this.

All I saw was a Family doctor and she does not think this is what this is. She says if it was a cyst, I would be in alot of pain.

Any input on your experiences?

thanks,

Peg

Old 01-28-2008, 03:37 PM   #5
(female)

shannonb72 HB User

Hey Peg...just wait for your ultrasound and just believe that God is in control...i have been having abdominal pain (sometimes severe, everyday) for going on 2 yrs in July...I had a partial hysterectomy in Sept 06, they left my ovaries...i was fine until around Aug 07, cramping like pms, lower back pain.....i just waited until my yearly in oct to say anything to the drs...boy the last week b4 my appt, i was sick, nauseated sick....so i went in and we said next treatment for me was gastro.....right now, this very minute, i am in the middle of a colonoscopy PREP, i have this procedure 2morrow morning at 830 am......
When you get your ultrasound over with, call your dr and tell him/her that you want to be referred to a gastro-dr....and call your gyn back and make an appt for checkup.......
Im 35 yrs old, and my dr said that this is the best time for your 1st THOROUGH EXAM......
Take care...and i will pray for you

hugs,
shannon

Old 01-28-2008, 04:51 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

estria HB Userestria HB Userestria HB Userestria HB User

Hello Peg,

Yes an external ultrasound will also show if you have cysts and what kind they are (simple fluid filled ones, solid tumours or complex cysts with both solid and liquid tissue). I myself have a 7.5 cm simple fluid filled cyst and experience a lot of pain during ovulation. I also experience some pain between ovulation and my period. The type of pain varies from simple menstrual like cramps to sharper cramping pains that travel down my lower back and feel like they are cramping my rectal area. They are usually brief (5-6 minutes long max). Perhaps your doctor was talking about a ruptured cyst or a cyst that torses the ovary. This indeed is supposed to hurt a lot but cysts sitting on your ovaries can also cause discomfort and pain.

The ultrasound will definitely show if you have any cysts that are present. The transvaginal ultrasound can get a better look and from a different angle so you may want to opt for this if a cyst is found. They can also do a doppler flow analysis with the transvaginal to see if there is any blood flowing to the cyst or if it is simply a ball of liquid just sitting there.

Good luck with the US and all the best.

Closed Thread