It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Hysterectomy Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-06-2008, 10:48 AM   #1
(female)

stepheebeez HB User
Vaginal Hysterectomy

I am having a vaginal hysterectomy on the 22nd of Jan. SCARED AS HELL! My Mom had one about my age and I can't talk to her because she passed away in July. The questions I have is what is usually the recovery time and the pain afterwards? I am a boob I know. Guess I am just nervous and scared.:

The following user gives a hug of support to stepheebeez:
milliesmamaw (09-25-2011)
Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-06-2008, 05:26 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

1sunny1 HB User1sunny1 HB User
Re: Vaginal Hysterectomy

I had one is '92, there was no pain, a week after I was walking the beach everyday. Keep in mind, I still watched what I did, no heavy lifting, etc.. I wouldn't worry, unless there are complications, you should be fine and no pain.

Sunny

Last edited by 1sunny1; 01-06-2008 at 05:26 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-08-2008, 09:03 PM   #3
Veteran
(female)

hotdam HB User

I am also having one done on the 29th of Jan, I am also scared to hell, not too sure about the pain afterwards and length of time it will take to recover. also my twin is having her surgery tomorrow she is having an abdominal.

Old 01-08-2008, 10:56 PM   #4
(female)

stepheebeez HB User

I hope all goes well for you and your twin. I have to have mine because of andenomyosis. I am anxious to get it done just because I am tired of being in pain but like you I am terrified! I was almost having seconds thoughts until the pain hit this week. I am just glad that I have 3 children and my uterus decided to be done with children just like I am!

Last edited by stepheebeez; 01-08-2008 at 11:09 PM.

Old 01-08-2008, 11:08 PM   #5
(female)

stepheebeez HB User

Thanks for your comment Sunny!

Last edited by stepheebeez; 01-08-2008 at 11:10 PM.

Old 01-09-2008, 08:27 AM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

1sunny1 HB User1sunny1 HB User

Hi Steph, I am sure you will be fine and will go thru this surgery like a breeze, please don't worry, it really is a pretty easy surgery to go thru. My step daughter just had a abdominal hysterectomy on Dec 4th, she is back to work akready that that kind os harder than the vaginal one. I will be thinking about you, let me know when it is over, try to stay calm, it will be fine. (I know, easy for me to say), but you will be fine.

Take care,
Sunny

Old 01-09-2008, 05:28 PM   #7
(female)

stepheebeez HB User

Thanks again Sunny. That makes me feel better. I will let you know how it goes when it is done and over with.

Steph

Old 01-09-2008, 09:51 PM   #8
(female)

Julesjewels HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by stepheebeez View Post
I hope all goes well for you and your twin. I have to have mine because of andenomyosis. I am anxious to get it done just because I am tired of being in pain but like you I am terrified! I was almost having seconds thoughts until the pain hit this week. I am just glad that I have 3 children and my uterus decided to be done with children just like I am!
Stephee,
I'm also having a vaginal hysterectomy. My surgery is scheduled for Jan. 24th. I also have adenomyosis. I know what you mean about the pain -- it can be debilitating. Mine will be a partial, which will include the cervix because I have a history of severe dysplasia. I'm worried about hormone levels, which I fear will drop off in a few years. I can't take hormone replacements because I have a history of blood clots. I'm also scared about clotting after surgery but will endure shots of Lovenox for about 5 days. Good luck with your surgery! I'll keep you in my thoughts.
Julie

The following user gives a hug of support to Julesjewels:
Old 01-10-2008, 07:18 AM   #9
(female)

stepheebeez HB User

Hey Jules!
I wouldn't worry to much about your hormones....I don't. They are leaving the ovaries for me also but taking my uterus and cervix. My Mom had a vaginal hysterectomy actually about my age also (34) and she went through her normal menopause at around the age of 55 or so. I also talked to my doctor about it and he says that doing this will not set me in menopause any earlier than my body wants to go into it. I had the Novasure done after my son was born about 2 years later because my periods were really bad, clotty, and painful after my son was born. We did the Novasure to avoid having a hysterectomy but here I am! Having one anyways. But from what I have read on this board and some gals that come into my work and one that I work with say that having a hysterectomy was the bes thing that they ever did. Good luck and I will keep you in my thoughts.

Steph

Old 01-10-2008, 09:33 PM   #10
(female)

Julesjewels HB User

Hi Steph!
Thanks so much for telling me about your mom. That really eases my mind!
Since I've had so many female related problems, I've always said a hysterectomy would be a blessing. I need to keep telling myself that. It really is best to stay positive throughout all of this. Take care!!

Old 01-12-2008, 08:07 PM   #11
Veteran
(female)

hotdam HB User

Hey girls well I know some of us wished at one time or another we could just get it all taken out, no more periods, no more issues, well I know I have said it many times and now that reality is hitting I am scared, I know I am being a wuss, If my twin can do it (Wed) than I can, plus she had an abdominal, I am having a vaginal.

Old 01-14-2008, 08:31 AM   #12
(female)

stepheebeez HB User

That was me to Hot. I was done with the pain, tired of all of it. I told my ob/gyn that I was done and I wanted it taken care of. He tried putting me on birth control to see if it helped, which in a way it did but I am 34, I smoke, and going on birth control is not the smartest thing which he agreed. He said that he wanted to show the insurance company that something was being done before he decided to let me have my way. Now that I am getting my way, I am scared. This is my last week of work until the surgery on the 22nd and I hope to God that this week will draaaaaaaaaaaaaaaag on. Does anyone know approximatley how long the vaginal surgery time is??? I think my biggest fear is the anest. I have only had it for the novasure which was a total of 15 minutes, my L.E.E.P procedure about the same total and my wisdom teeth getting pulled. Ya I think that is my biggest issue is going to sleep and not waking up. Dumb huh?

The following user gives a hug of support to stepheebeez:
Old 01-14-2008, 09:54 AM   #13
Veteran
(female)

hotdam HB User

No Steph that is not dumb, its my biggest fear too, the surgery I am told lasts for about an hour or so. Try not to worry and I wont either. We will both wake up feeling drunk ha ha ha, at least thats what my sister sounded like, she sounded like she was hammered. We will both be just fine. Think Positively.

Old 01-14-2008, 05:39 PM   #14
(female)

Automatic47 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by stepheebeez View Post
I am having a vaginal hysterectomy on the 22nd of Jan. SCARED AS HELL! My Mom had one about my age and I can't talk to her because she passed away in July. The questions I have is what is usually the recovery time and the pain afterwards? I am a boob I know. Guess I am just nervous and scared.:
Hi I have had a hysterectomy 18 months ago. My doctor never told me about the repairs that she did to me. I don't mean to scare you but I was lied to. So here is my advice. You can use it or not. I would talk with your doctor and asked them to draw you a picture of everything they are going to cut, suture, and reposition inside. Some people don't want to know what will be done to them. I was shocked when I found out after surgery. I wish I could talk with you more about this. My story is very lengthy and hasn't stopped yet. I found this bit of information I hope you can use, it from a web site I found.

"Most women are taught little about the functions of the female organs beyond iinformation about menstruation and pregnancy. The uterus and ovaries are the female hormone-responsive reproductive sex organs. The female organs are internal and their functions are not visible. Most women and men know more about the functions of male reproductive sex organs than female female reproductive sex organs because the organs are external and visible. One of the common myths perpetuated by doctors that has become folklore is that the female organs are only needed by women who want to have children and that after they complete their family they no longer need these organs. Nothing could be further from the truth. The uterus is a hormone responsive reproductive sex organ that supports the bladder and the bowel. It functions all of a woman's life. Many women are sexually active and experience uterine orgasm into their 80's. The uterus provides support to the bladder and the bowel. When a hysterectomy is performed the support to the bladder is compromised, and the bowel drifts down to take up the space where the uterus had been. The vagina is shortened, made into a closed pocket. Because the uterus separates the bladder from the bowel, when the uterus is removed the bowel drifts down and takes up the space where the uterus had been. When there is stool in the bowel it presses against the bladder and down into the top of the vagina. This would not have been possible with the uterus intact."

What ever you decide (you can still change your mind) good luck.
Automatic47

Last edited by Automatic47; 01-14-2008 at 05:42 PM.

Old 01-15-2008, 04:20 AM   #15
Veteran
(female)

hotdam HB User

Automatic, this is not something I asked for, this is something that has to be done, if there is another way to handle this I would love any suggestions but I have a fibroid growing on my Uterus and a cyst that has taken over my left ovary which doesnt seem to want to go away. My gyn has been my gyn for over 20 years, he delivered all 3 of my children, I trust him no one else. I have faith in his medical opinion. I appreciate your concern. And I will ask about the bowel and bladder.

Closed Thread