It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Hysterectomy Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-30-2008, 06:47 PM   #1
(female)

asmit93 HB User
Question Hysterectomy on young women

Does anyone know if you can get a hystrerectomy if you are 26, healthy but don't ever want to have kids or the periods? My boyfriend (someday husband) and I don't ever want kids. I know you can get your tubes tied but I don't want to have periods at all. I have horrible depression and anxiety. I am on Yaz because I have had acne problems in the past, spent my teenage years on accutane and antibiotics. Birth control seems to keep the acne in check. I am immune to all the acne antibiotics plus they cause so many other issues (ineffective birth control, yeast infections, etc). I want a way to not have children or periods. Please let me know if you have any other suggestions!

Old 01-30-2008, 09:57 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Kari7171 HB User
Re: Hysterectomy on young women

From what I have heard they will not remove the Uterus or any other organ that is not diseased in some way or causing major problems. So you can't just go in and request for them to remove your Uterus just because you don't want periods anymore.

On thing you might consider talking to your doctor about is taking the birth control pill on a continuous basis where you only take a break a few times a year to have a period. My doctor has me doing that but it's because I have endometriosis. They might go along with that though for you since they do have a new pill out now that actually is prescribed just for that to have fewer periods 4 times a year. It's becoming more and more common.

I don't think you'll find a doctor that will prescribe it to never have one though but having only 4 periods a year is much easier to deal with.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-31-2008, 11:14 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

Thisby HB UserThisby HB UserThisby HB UserThisby HB UserThisby HB UserThisby HB UserThisby HB UserThisby HB UserThisby HB UserThisby HB UserThisby HB User

As far as I know, you couldn't get one if there's nothing wrong with you. At the very least it wouldn't be covered by insurance.

Old 02-06-2008, 02:39 PM   #4
Inactive
(female)

brandy78 HB User

I cant imagine that you will find a doctor that would do one for those reasons. It is hard enough to have one approved when you have actual documented...tested...medical need for it .

Old 02-07-2008, 11:13 AM   #5
(female)

Triple777 HB User

A hysterectomy is a bad choice for birth control. Some of the side effects are sexual dysfunction, bladder and bowel problems, urinary incontinence, just to mention a few. A hysterectomy increases your risk of cardiovascular disease and osteoporosis. There was a study done in 2007 showing that women who had a hysterectomy were at a much higher risk of dementia, and related illnesses. Keep your body parts, you'll stay a lot healthier.

Old 02-07-2008, 02:22 PM   #6
(female)

Suzi Q HB User

I agree with the other ladies. Doctors don't want to remove perfectly okay organs just so they aren't an inconvinience for you. Plus it isn't fun having a hysterectomy at such a young age. You are probably saying, yeah right how does she know? well I had a complete abdominal hysterectomy 3 years ago when I was 22. I had to have one because I have Ovarian Cancer. But it has changed my marriage. I had been married for just over a year when I had to have a hysterectomy. We had a GREAT sex-life I had a very high labido and I was NEVER grouchy or snappy. Now I have painful intercourse 100% of the time, lots of vaginal dryness, I am NEVER in the mood for sex, it is harder to control my belly fat/weight gain and I am grouchy and snappy all the time. I also have all the fun menopause symptoms, you know hot flashes and night sweats and sometime insomnia. Plus to top it off I have a much increased risk of osteoperosis.

Then there is the aspect of you being so young (I can say this since I am still younger than you), and I know it sounds like crazy and you are most assuredly going to disagree, but there might come a time; 10, 15 or even 20 years from now, when you change your mind and want to have a child. A hysterectomy is permanant, Irreversable.

But that is the thing with this life. No matter what I tell you or what I think you get to chose what you think is right for you. I wish you Good luck in finding the solution that works best for you.

Last edited by Suzi Q; 02-07-2008 at 02:35 PM.

Old 02-07-2008, 05:04 PM   #7
(female)

Triple777 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suzi Q View Post
Now I have painful intercourse 100% of the time, lots of vaginal dryness, I am NEVER in the mood for sex, it is harder to control my belly fat/weight gain and I am grouchy and snappy all the time. I also have all the fun menopause symptoms, you know hot flashes and night sweats and sometime insomnia. Plus to top it off I have a much increased risk of osteoperosis
SuziQ, I'm sorry you had cancer and had to have this surgery. Thanks for posting about how it's affected your sex life so other women will know when they are told they need it for a benign condition. Take care, hugs.

Closed Thread