It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Hysterectomy Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-10-2008, 02:42 PM   #1
(female)

K1Smiles HB User
28 and Having a Hysterectomy

Anyone have any positive advice? I am terrified of this procedure and how it will affect me. I am 28 and having a hysterectomy in a few weeks. The docs wanted to try me on Lupron at first and after all of the horrible things I had heard, I refused it. I got a 2nd opinion and that doc said he would recommend the surgery. I have numerous fibroids, pelvic adhesions, my uterus is attached to the right side of my abdomen due to massive amounts of scar tissue. Yes, it's painful and my periods (when I have them) are a nightmare!
Anyone go through anything similar?
Happy Sunday!

Old 02-10-2008, 09:56 PM   #2
(female)

Luvmypugs HB User
Re: 28 and Having a Hysterectomy

I am going through basically the same thing as you but I am 10 years older. I am very put out with my OBGYN right now. They have done 2 vaginal ultrasounds in the past month and found basically all the things you describe you have. The pain has been unbearable and he will not give me anything to help with it (other than Naproxen which tore my stomach up) before surgery. I have had so many people tell me this is just totally unacceptable on his part. He says "it will make the surgical pain worse". Well I'm sorry but that makes no sense whatsoever to me!! Now I'm so scared that he will not do a good job controlling the pain afterwards. I have been with this doctor since 1999 and he has always been great but now I'm just upset. I have to go Monday morning for my pre-op bloodwork etc. and I'm going to talk to the Nurse Practitioner about all of my concerns (he won't be there as he does surgery on Mondays). I hope that your doctor is giving you some sort of relief. I feel your pain and for those who don't, they just don't get it.

Take care and God Bless

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-10-2008, 10:25 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

Kari7171 HB User

It really depends on what exactly they are going to be doing. Are they just removing the uterus and leaving the cervix and ovaries?

Old 02-11-2008, 04:10 PM   #4
(female)

K1Smiles HB User

They are doing a total abdominal hysterectomy. Removing, uterus, ovaries and tubes.

Old 02-11-2008, 04:55 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

Kari7171 HB User

Are you having problems with your ovaries?

I have endometriosis and fibroids. I'm actually having an ultrasound tomorrow to see if the fibroids have grown since I am having horrible bleeding. I also had a laproscopy a few years back my uterus had adhered to my intestine and they separated that and removed some of the endo but it does come back. I also get cysts on my ovaries and they burned those away but they can come back too. But what me and my doctor discussed was removing my uterus through Laparoscopic supracervical hysterectomy and leaving my cervix and ovaries in so this won't mess with the hormones.

You might want to see if you can keep your ovaries and cervix. Or you'll probably have to have hormone replacement because you'll go into instant menopause without your ovaries. I will not let them take my ovaries unless I have cancer. When I just had my laproscopy they had me sign a form that if they found my ovaries were cancerous then they could remove them otherwise they would leave them in.

They used to remove the ovaries with a hysterectomy regularly but now you have the option to leave those in. That's what I'll be doing if I have the Laparoscopic supracervical hysterectomy.

Old 02-12-2008, 02:15 PM   #6
(female)

donnajoy HB User

You may want to discuss with your doctor the possibility of having a hysterectomy that does not include removing your ovaries. This will prevent you from being forced into menopause at such a young age. If you have your ovaries removed you will need to be on HRT's until you reach the average age of menopause.

I would also suggest you get a second opinion.

I just had a hysterectomy (complete) and I'm 39.

Good luck.

Old 02-12-2008, 04:44 PM   #7
(female)

K1Smiles HB User

Kari7171: They thought that I was in premature ovarian failure b/c I would go a year with no period, then all of sudden I would have a period every 10 days that was horrible. My periods are unexpected and unpredictable. I have a lot of scar tissue on my ovaries and some fibroids. I have had 3 laps done. They did tell me that there was no way to remove the uterus laprascopically due to the extreme scar tissue I already have from my previous surgeries. Can my doctor refuse to do the surgery if I tell him that I do not want my ovaries taken out?

Donnjoy: That was my second opinion. The 1st opinion was putting me on Lupron. There is no way I was going to do that. My ovaries are not the healthiest. However, they did allow me to have twins 7 years ago...lol.
My biggest concern is the hormones ordeal. I am terrified of the whole menopause thing. How are you coping with your total hys at 39? My mom had hers at 48 and it was a nightmare for her. She had a really rough time.

Old 02-13-2008, 07:10 AM   #8
(female)

donnajoy HB User

K1smiles - I just had the hysterectomy on February 1st, so I'm in the early healing stages now. I was lucky enough to have it done lathoscopic with vaginal assist so my external incisions are minimal. I'm having adjustment issues with the hormone patch but that is normal. It takes time for your body to adjust to it. Certain smells make me sick and not everything tastes the same to me right now. I also have crying spells every once in a while over stupid things. Like I said, it's only been 14 days, so I still have to expect a couple more weeks of healing time.

Most important thing for me to remember is that I had major surgery and I need to sleep more than I usually do and I have to let other people help me - laundry, cleaning, etc. I finally got the green light to drive short distances, so I can take my kids back and forth to school.

It takes patients to allow yourself to heal, but everyone I have talked to that had this surgery at a pre-menopausal age said that it was the best thing they had ever done and they wish they had done it sooner.

Old 02-13-2008, 11:14 AM   #9
Senior Veteran
(female)

Kari7171 HB User

[QUOTE=K1Smiles;3438874]Kari7171: They thought that I was in premature ovarian failure b/c I would go a year with no period, then all of sudden I would have a period every 10 days that was horrible. My periods are unexpected and unpredictable. I have a lot of scar tissue on my ovaries and some fibroids. I have had 3 laps done. They did tell me that there was no way to remove the uterus laprascopically due to the extreme scar tissue I already have from my previous surgeries. Can my doctor refuse to do the surgery if I tell him that I do not want my ovaries taken out?

I would think the doctor can decide to not do the surgery if he wants but I'd talk to him about leaving your ovaries. You might want a third opinion though. Have you had your hormone levels checked so they can be sure that you really are going into premature ovarian failure? I'd want to have that done so I'd know for sure what's going on with them to know if they can be salvaged during a hysterectomy.

Old 02-13-2008, 11:39 AM   #10
Senior Veteran
(female)

AnnD HB UserAnnD HB User

I had a hysterectomy at that age. It didn't change anything for me except that all my female problems were resolved with the removal of the uterus...and I didn't have to go to the doctor every time I turned around! ...will he be leaving your ovaries? My daughter has recently had everything removed and is on HRT and it doing very well. She is feeling so much better and so happy that it is behind her...she was exhausted from the constant pain that she had had for years . Good luck to you

Old 02-14-2008, 09:52 AM   #11
(female)

IhaveENDO HB User

I, too, am 28 and suffer with endometriosis (and doc thinks andomysios (sp)). I am also refusing the Lupron (the horror stories on that drug are insane!) and opting for the TAH with ovary removal. It's your personal choice if you have the ovaries removed but I'll tell you why mine are getting tossed:

At my age, my mother had a TAH for stage 4 endo. The doctor left one ovary in because it looked clean. Two years later, she nearly died. Her stomach bloated to a 9 month pregnant state, she couldn't keep anything down. They went through every checklist and her dumb doctor said it had to be appendicitis because endo couldn't grow if she only had one ovary. Guess what! They opened her up and she was COVERED in endo. It was all over her bowel, bladder, peritoneum. They removed the ovary and as much endo as they could. Now 20 years later she's still in pain because after this mess, her doctor advised she go on HRT to avoid menopause symptoms. She didn't know better, took the meds for over 2 years, and then stopped when a doctor told her she hadn't let the endo die off! Now my mom lives with chronic pain.

This is why my ovaries are going too!

Old 03-14-2008, 12:47 PM   #12
(female)

K1Smiles HB User

Okay everyone. I am 5 days post op now and finally am home. The ended up taking the uterus, tubes and ovaries. I only have to take a shot once every 3 months. They only have to pu me on a light birth control, so no hormone therapy for me. The surgery went well, other than the allergic reactions I had to 3 of the medications. Very scary.
As far as the surgery when they got in there, I had varicos veines on my uterus that were rather large, I had 3 tumors that were mis-shaping my uterus, the endomertosis that they had taken out in August 07 came back with a vengence and was on the outside of my uterus, multple ahesions and lesions. It's been a tough recovery so far, but I am hanging in there. Mostly I have pressure pain and trouble sleeping. The pain is tolerable though. I can feel for those women out there who are having or have had this done later in life. Hot flashes, well, hard to tell, I live in Arizona...lol.
I just wanted to update everyone and thank everyone for all the advice and help. I will keep posting!!

Old 03-14-2008, 04:01 PM   #13
(female)

hearts4120 HB User

Why do they need to put you on birth control pills if you have no uterus??

DDD, Spinal Stenosis, Fibromyalgia,
ALIF surgery on December 10, 2007, numerous Injections, SCS December 2010.

Last edited by moderator2; 03-14-2008 at 04:07 PM. Reason: please delete the quote or use quick reply instead

Old 03-14-2008, 04:10 PM   #14
Senior Veteran
(female)

Kari7171 HB User

It's because she has no ovaries and the birth control pills help replace some of the hormones lost from having the ovaries out.

I'm going in for my hysterectomy in two weeks. I will be keeping my ovaries but there is a chance that they can shut down after the surgery and not produce hormones like they used to so they may put me on either birth control pills or HRT or a hormone patch if I have problems with my hormones. The symptoms from not having ovaries or like in my case if they don't work properly after even if I keep them is hot flashes and mood swings etc. Basically menopause symptoms.

Old 03-29-2008, 07:34 PM   #15
(female)

Lizzie62 HB User

I'm going in for my hysterectomy in two weeks. I will be keeping my ovaries but there is a chance that they can shut down after the surgery and not produce hormones like they used to so they may put me on either birth control pills or HRT or a hormone patch if I have problems with my hormones. The symptoms from not having ovaries or like in my case if they don't work properly after even if I keep them is hot flashes and mood swings etc. Basically menopause symptoms.[/QUOTE]

I had a hysterectomy a little over two years ago. They removed my uterus and cervix but left my ovaries. When I discussed with my doctor what to have taken out and what to leave, he suggested that I leave my ovaries for the hormones which was what I wanted to do but didn't think possible. For many years I had extremely cystic ovaries and figured they were a mess since I had two laproscopies to get rid of the complex cysts, masses of scar tissue and my ovaries were fused to my intestines. I told them if they looked healthy leave them. I fully expected to come out of surgery minus my ovaries, but they left them in.
Now I did have symptoms of menopause in the very beginning, mood swings, crying jags and the dreaded hot flashes. However after a few months the symptoms which were hit and miss to begin with, settled down. I have been on Prozac for years for depression, and my doctor upped the dosage on that for three months, then back to my maintenance dosage. I think your body goes through an initial shock without the hormones that the uterus and cervix give, but then once your body becomes accustomed to the change, everything sorts itself out.
A hysterectomy was one of the best decisions I ever made. I come from a family that never had any reproductive problems. Even my children don't have issues or even cramps! I had extremely heavy bleeding most of my life, and have fainted from the pain of my cramps. There was no 'medical issue' although I have been in pain most of my life, bled so bad I couldn't make a half hour drive without bleeding through a supermaxi pad and sometimes a pad and tampon. And the pain was absolutely horrible. At one point I was in so much pain (just before my hysterectomy) that when I had my period I was taking Vicodan or Percosette AND drinking alcohol because it was the only way I could dull the pain to bearable. I was horribly anemic in fact my anemia lasted for almost two years AFTER the hysterectomy. My last blood test showed that I wasn't anemic for the first time ever. I had such severe anemia that I nearly had to have a transfusion.
I hope everything went well for you and don't worry about the hormones, they should kick back in.
The best of luck!
Liz

"Life is Beautiful" Sixx:AM

Closed Thread