It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Hysterectomy Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-13-2008, 10:15 PM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

Kari7171 HB User
Vaginal Hysterectomy and the cervix question

So my question is do they or have they ever done vaginal hysterectomy's where they leave the cervix. My mom says she had a vaginal hysterectomy and they left the cervix in. Then she also said when they first did the surgery she did not know if they left the cervix in or not until she had a pap smear and now she thinks they left the cervix in.

I'm really interested in knowing this info since she also thinks they left her ovaries in and she said she went into menopause right away after but it seems she may not really know what they actually took out since she didn't even know if they took her cervix.

From reading about a vaginal hyst they remove the cervix also. Any info would be great.

Old 02-13-2008, 10:20 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Kari7171 HB User
Re: Vaginal Hysterectomy and the cervix question

I also wanted to add that this was about 35 years ago that she had a hysterectomy she's 70 now. My understanding is that they took it all out back then.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-14-2008, 07:19 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

1sunny1 HB User1sunny1 HB User

I had a vaginal hysterectomy in 1992, they took everything except the ovaries. If there is nothing wrong with the ovaries, leave them in, you need those hormones running around in your body, they do a lot for you. I never felt the menopause thing the way some people do. I had hot flashes even before the hysterectomy, and even though I get them less as time goes on, I still get them.

Sunny

Old 03-05-2008, 12:13 PM   #4
(female)

abeeson01 HB User

Kari, I am scheduled for a vaginal hysterectomy on April 3rd. My doctor told me that she would be taking my uterus, right ovary and possibly my cervix (depending on the results of my recent LEEP procedure). I am under the impression that if the results of the LEEP come back ok she will not be removing my cervix.

I honestly think I am going to have her take the cervix regardless of the LEEP results. I am having the hysterectomy to alleviate pelvic pain and heavy, abnormal menstrual cycles. Additionally, I may also have cervical cancer (I won'y know until next week sometime). I read somewhere that if the cervix is left in, a woman still has possibility of having her monthly cycle (I think the possibility of this happening was said to be about 5%). If I am going to go through the trouble of having a hysterectomy in the first place, I certainly don't want to continue having my period. With my luck, if I left my cervix in, that's exactly what would happen

Old 03-05-2008, 05:58 PM   #5
(female)

Elaine444 HB User

The cervix is always removed with a vaginal hysterectomy. It would be impossible to leave the cervix in when the uterus is pulled out through the vagina since the cervix is the neck of the uterus. The cervix can be left in place with a laparoscopic subtotal hysterectomy (LSH) that does not involve a vaginal route (but not laparoscopic assisted vaginal hysterectomy (LAVH) ), or an abdominal hysterectomy if a woman chooses to keep her cervix.

Last edited by Elaine444; 03-06-2008 at 04:17 AM.

Old 03-24-2008, 06:12 PM   #6
(female)

Elaine444 HB User

Out of curiosity I followed up on this subject by contacting several gynecologists and then did some more research based on the information they gave me. I found the following reference book which backs up what the gynecologists said:

"Advances in Reconstructive Vaginal Surgery" by S. Robert Kovac, MD and Carl W. Zimmerman, MD. (chapter 12 "Subtotal Vaginal Hysterectomy and Myomectomy", page 149).

Apparently, there is a vaginal hysterectomy technique that allows the cervix to be kept, called the Doderlein technique, which was invented in 1906. The book describes this technique in detail but is very scientific. However, it can only be accomplished with a small or only slightly enlarged uterus. The uterus must be freely mobile as well (ie no adhesions or scar tissue binding it to other organs as is common with endometriosis and certain fibroids). Apparently, the technique is outdated, was only performed by a handful of surgeons, and is rarely used anymore since it is quite complicated and has largely been replaced by the LSH (laparoscopic supracervical hysterectomy) which does not involve a vaginal route and does not require as many restrictions in order to preserve the cervix.

One of the gynecologists I spoke to said that in her opinion, most women that would qualify for a vaginal hysterectomy using the Doderlein technique would be suitable for an ablation or other more conservative treatment nowadays and be able to avoid a hysterectomy altogether.

Anyway, just thought I would pass this information on.

Closed Thread