It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Hysterectomy Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-24-2008, 12:50 PM   #1
Inactive
(female)

jules3 HB User
Polyps and fibroids??

Can somebody please tell me the difference between the 2? I am just curious to know? I am 45 yrs old and been having heavy bleeding for awhile now..it results with me becoming anemic 9-11 hemoglobin every month ,it doesnt go higher that that. my last visit to the doc a couple of weeks ago i was told my uterus is a 14week pregnancy size..he says its big and bulky..nice terminology huh?? anyway lately i have been feeling alot of pressure on my bladder, i keep thinking im getting a uti but im not..its just pressure and urgency. my lower abdomen is also bigger than it ever has been..he suggested an abdominal hysterectomy with possibly leaving ovaries and cervix in..he claims he cannot see my ovaries on the screen cause uterus is too large..i will be going for another transvaginal tomorrow. i had 3 c-sections and must have scar tissue to contend with too..please anyone have any words of advice...my mom said once i go thru menopause they shrink. can i wait 5-6 yrs? living like this??im not sure..the bleeding confines me indoors for about2-3 days a month..so confuse? no chance of a vaginal hysterectomy cause uterus is too big...any suggestions??

Old 02-24-2008, 01:15 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

granny0 HB User
Re: Polyps and fibroids??

Hi Jules,
I'm not really sure what Polyps are other than the ones in your bowels, but fibroids are non-cancerous tumors in your uterus that can cause a lot of discomfort. My periods started coming every 3 weeks and were extremely painful, along with very heaving bleeding. I had a complete hysterectomy, had her take the works. I was your age and peri-meno. anyway so I figured, take it all, one less thing to get cancer in. I can honestly say, it was the best thing I ever did. The recovery was painful the first week but after that quite tolerable. I was fortunate - didn't take any hormones and have not had any meno systems that could compare to the PMS I was going through with each period. My suggestion would be don't worry about going with the abdominal hyst. Since you had C-Sections,the recovery is pretty much the same only the pain is more intense post op, but like I said, only for a week or so. Recovery time is recommended (if you work) 6 - 8 weeks. Since I had a desk job, I went back at 3 weeks. Only experienced discomfort as the belly tends to bloat as the day progresses. Financially, I just could not afford to take the recommended time off.
Best wishes,
JB
Best wishes,
JB

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-24-2008, 06:30 PM   #3
(female)

hearts4120 HB User

Hi Jules,
In 2000 I had a hysterectomy, abdominal. My GYN also took my ovaries out, he was trying to leave one in but both were covered heavily with bloody cysts and were the cause of some of my terrible pain. I was 33 yrs old at the time of surgery but my family was complete so I was at peace with the surgery and after recovery discovered it was a very smart thing to do. I have been on HRT since post op day 1.

I don't know about polyps, but fibroids are non cancerous tumors of the uterus.

Lori

DDD, Spinal Stenosis, Fibromyalgia,
ALIF surgery on December 10, 2007, numerous Injections, SCS December 2010.

Old 02-25-2008, 02:12 AM   #4
(female)

Triple777 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by jules3 View Post
Can somebody please tell me the difference between the 2? I am just curious to know? I am 45 yrs old and been having heavy bleeding for awhile now..it results with me becoming anemic 9-11 hemoglobin every month ,it doesnt go higher that that. my last visit to the doc a couple of weeks ago i was told my uterus is a 14week pregnancy size..he says its big and bulky..nice terminology huh?? anyway lately i have been feeling alot of pressure on my bladder, i keep thinking im getting a uti but im not..its just pressure and urgency. my lower abdomen is also bigger than it ever has been..he suggested an abdominal hysterectomy with possibly leaving ovaries and cervix in..he claims he cannot see my ovaries on the screen cause uterus is too large..i will be going for another transvaginal tomorrow. i had 3 c-sections and must have scar tissue to contend with too..please anyone have any words of advice...my mom said once i go thru menopause they shrink. can i wait 5-6 yrs? living like this??im not sure..the bleeding confines me indoors for about2-3 days a month..so confuse? no chance of a vaginal hysterectomy cause uterus is too big...any suggestions??
Jules, fibroids and polyps can be removed if they are causing too much trouble. You do not need a hysterctomy, because there are many other less invasive alternatives. It is old school thinking that women need a hysterectomy for fibroids. Get other opinions and search for information on the net for alternatives. Myomectomy is the surgical removal of fibroids. When you think about it, why would anyone remove your uterus when they can just remove the fibroids? Most of the reason for that is most doctors are more skilled at amputating the uterus then they are just removing the fibroids. It's important to find a skilled doctor in alternative surgeries because if they only know how to amputate a uterus, then that's all they will recommend. Take your time, look at all the alternatives, and educate yourself. Good luck to you.

Last edited by Triple777; 02-25-2008 at 02:13 AM. Reason: spelling

Old 02-25-2008, 06:38 AM   #5
Inactive
(female)

jules3 HB User

triple, let me ask you this removing the fibroids is the same kind of surgery, an abdominal cut with the same kind of recovery because of incisional healing. fibroids do have a tendency to grow back. why woudnt i just have the source of the problem removed? im 45 ..no more kids in my future,had a tubal ligation 10 yrs ago..i am not interested in having my ovaries removed if they are healthy and he is willing to leave my cervix in place if not attached by adhesions. the function of the uterus is for childbearing..its the ovaries that make the hormones..just my opinion..and thanks for yours i truly value it.

Old 02-25-2008, 07:37 AM   #6
(female)

Triple777 HB User

hi jules, it depends on where the fibroids are located. Some can be removed by going through the vagina or even laproscopy, or they may need to cut abdominally. If all of your fibroids are removed they will NOT grow back at your age. The only reason they would grow back is if they are not all removed, or partially removed. That's why it's important to have a surgeon who is an expert at removing fibroids if you go that route. It is important to keep your uterus because it is hormone responsive and has other functions than just carrying a baby. It has been found in medical studies that women who have had their uterus removed have a three-times greater incidence of heart disease. Your uterus also supports your bladder and bowel. That is why many women have urinary incontinence and bowl problems following hysterectomy. As you can imagine, there is a massive blood supply that goes to your uterus and when it is severed the blood supply to the uterus diminishes the blood flow in the pelvis and to the external genitalia, including the ovaries, vagina, labia, and clitoris, as well as the legs and feet. Because of damage to the blood supply to the ovaries, there is a loss of ovarian function in 35-40% of the women whose ovaries are not removed during hysterectomy. This too results in a loss of ovarian function, which is the same as castration. If you read through this board, you will see a lot of cases where women had to get their ovaries removed following hysterectomy. It's very common. The other reason to keep your uterus is that it causes sexual dysfunction and pain for many women. Of course, it's your choice. If you can deal with the bleeding, you're better off hanging in there until menopause when your fibroids start shrinking. Good luck to you whatever you decide!

Old 02-25-2008, 08:31 AM   #7
Inactive
(female)

jules3 HB User

Yep i was wondering what happens to that space where the uterus is? well today i am having a transvaginal sono this should tell doc what he needs to know as far as location and size right?

Old 02-25-2008, 08:34 AM   #8
(female)

hearts4120 HB User

Quote:
triple, let me ask you this removing the fibroids is the same kind of surgery, an abdominal cut with the same kind of recovery because of incisional healing. fibroids do have a tendency to grow back. why woudnt i just have the source of the problem removed? im 45 ..no more kids in my future,had a tubal ligation 10 yrs ago..i am not interested in having my ovaries removed if they are healthy and he is willing to leave my cervix in place if not attached by adhesions. the function of the uterus is for childbearing..its the ovaries that make the hormones..just my opinion..and thanks for yours i truly value it.
Hi Jules,
I know this is a tough decision, just wanted to suggest to you that you get several GYN opinions before you make up your mind. And don't be afraid to pepper them with lots and lots of questions.

Lori

DDD, Spinal Stenosis, Fibromyalgia,
ALIF surgery on December 10, 2007, numerous Injections, SCS December 2010.

Old 02-25-2008, 10:50 AM   #9
(female)

Triple777 HB User

Quote:
Yep i was wondering what happens to that space where the uterus is?
There are videos on the net of hysterectomy being performed. We cannot post search info or links on here, but you can find them. It's a good thing to watch before you make any kind of decision.

Old 02-25-2008, 01:35 PM   #10
Inactive
(female)

jules3 HB User

well i just had the sono pelvic and transvaginal..hurt like hell, tech took a real long time and made me so nervous..woudnt tell me a single thing..his script said r/o ovarian pathology..im so nervous..

Old 02-25-2008, 05:53 PM   #11
(female)

Ivorygirl HB UserIvorygirl HB UserIvorygirl HB UserIvorygirl HB UserIvorygirl HB UserIvorygirl HB User

Hi Jules.....just popping in to tell you that I am thinking about you and hoping that the results are okay and that this all gets resolved. I have some fibroids that caused me heavy bleeding (went through a pad every 10-20 minutes)....the doctor felt they were small enough to just leave feeling I was so close to menopause and that they would shrink...just like your mother said!! And they must have because I am no longer having any problems.

I am hoping that they will say the same for you....good news is that I am completely through menopause now with no problems. It is nice not having any more bleeding and I really have no problems to speak of.

I agree that if you can keep the equipment that the good Lord gave you, do so!!

Please let us know what the results of your transvaginal sonogram is.

Love ~ IG

Old 02-25-2008, 08:41 PM   #12
Inactive
(female)

jules3 HB User

Hi ig, always nice to hear from you...yeah, so thats the latest with my life...son went to fla to see my parents for a week..his seasonal job is done for a month or so...

im not sure what to do here ,i guess i will just wait to talk to doc on wednesday. i really dont need this right now in my life..but its an ongoing problem.. im hoping its not as bad as that 25 yr old tech made it look today...anywy i will keep you updated...everything ok with the girls???

Old 02-25-2008, 09:46 PM   #13
Senior Veteran
(female)

Thisby HB UserThisby HB UserThisby HB UserThisby HB UserThisby HB UserThisby HB UserThisby HB UserThisby HB UserThisby HB UserThisby HB UserThisby HB User

I was in a similar situation with my fibroids (=18-week pregnancy) tons of bleeding, anemic, pressure on bladder etc, but I chose to have a Uterine Arterial Embolization instead in order to avoid the hysterectomy. This was 2 years ago.

It went very well, and the size of my uterus is down to 25% of the pre-procedure size. All but one symptom were cured (only one left is slightly heavier than normal periods, but still 1000 times less than they were).

Part of my rational was that if it didn't work, I could always have the hysterectomy after. And even better, it could possibly even be a vaginal one, since things are smaller.

Ask your doc about it.

(btw, watching videos of any kind of surgery would put anyone off. Not a good way to make a decision.)

Old 02-26-2008, 07:08 AM   #14
Inactive
(female)

jules3 HB User

thanks thisby, you are right about the videos..gross!! i will ask doc about that when all the test results are in...thanks!!

Old 02-26-2008, 04:32 PM   #15
(female)

Ivorygirl HB UserIvorygirl HB UserIvorygirl HB UserIvorygirl HB UserIvorygirl HB UserIvorygirl HB User

Quote:
Hi ig, always nice to hear from you...yeah, so thats the latest with my life...son went to fla to see my parents for a week..his seasonal job is done for a month or so...

im not sure what to do here ,i guess i will just wait to talk to doc on wednesday. i really dont need this right now in my life..but its an ongoing problem.. im hoping its not as bad as that 25 yr old tech made it look today...anywy i will keep you updated...everything ok with the girls???
I will keep my fingers and toes crossed that all goes well with your health, Jules....the stress has to be making all of this worse. Hey, I know that you miss your friends and they are missing you too...the girls are fine and our friends have been giving me lots of support and encouragement in a group called dbs alliance. I know that it would offer lots for you in terms of support for your son as well and hope that you can find the help and support that you need soon, real soon. There is alot of "hope", "soul" and goodiness to offer and it fits my needs to a "T". Anyway, I hope that the sunshine doesn your son some good and that you take the time to relax some and that your news tomorrow offers you some relief. Please post and let us know how it goes and know that your friends are thinking about you and hoping that you know we are not too far away in heart or soul.

love ~ IG

Closed Thread