It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Hysterectomy Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-05-2008, 12:00 PM   #1
(female)

abeeson01 HB User
Laproscopic Assisted Vaginal Hysterectomy

Has anyone here ever had a LAVH? If so, can anyone tell me what the expected hospital stay is for this procedure? I probably should have asked the doctor this when she told me I needed the surgery. However, I was in shock from the news and neglected to ask any questions. I do not see my doctor again until March 31st for my pre-op appointment. (surgery is April 3rd) I have searched the internet over and over but I can not find a rough figure regarding the hospital stay. Some of the information I have come across has stated 1 - 4 days, others say less than a day. I don't know what to expect!

Also, can anyone tell me roughly how long it will be after the surgery before I am able to go back to work? Any feedback is greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance...

Old 03-06-2008, 07:37 AM   #2
(female)

mom9302 HB User
Re: Laproscopic Assited Vaginal Hysterectomy

I had this procedure on 2/5/08 and have had no problems with it. If you see post under 10 days post op I have my story posted there. I am now 4 weeks post op and do not regret my decision. It was the best choic I ever made. There was minimal pain post op and it seems there's a fast recovery period. I hope this has helped some. also my oncologist said you only have to wait 4-6 wks off work.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-06-2008, 12:25 PM   #3
(female)

TatCat HB User

I had this procedure done on 2/13/08, I went home the next day, and will be going back to work on 3/10/08.
I was amazed at how quickly I felt good again.

Cat

Old 03-06-2008, 02:03 PM   #4
(female)

abeeson01 HB User

Thank you both. You have helped to ease my mind somewhat. I have one more question to ask (for now....) Did either of you have your cervix removed during the LAVH? I read another post on this message board that said the doctor always removes the cervix during a vaginal hysterectomy. I have researched this topic quite extensively and have come up with contradicting information. Does anyone know if this is true or not? Thanks again.

Old 03-06-2008, 04:27 PM   #5
(female)

TatCat HB User

Hello again,
I had uterus, cervix, tubes and ovaries removed when I had my hysterectomy. I knew before hand that this was going to be the case.
I don't know if this is always the case, I'm sorry, I wish I could answer that for you.
I can tell you that after only 3 weeks, I feel great. I am amazed how good I feel. I still have to be careful and take it easy, but I am really amazed.
Maybe you should call your Drs office and speak with a nurse. I had questions after I met with them and scheduled my surgery and they were happy to answer my questions. I'm sure they are used to this happening since they perform this procedure all the time.
I hated to call, but after I did, they helped me feel better about what was going on. This is a major surgery, and a major decision for you and they are there to help you through this.

Cat

Old 03-06-2008, 06:32 PM   #6
(female)

Elaine444 HB User

I am the poster on the other thread that mentioned that the doctor always removes the cervix with a vaginal hysterectomy.

By all means ask your doctor. He/she should provide this information to you anyway.

Personally I had an LAVH with removal of both ovaries in August of 2005 and my life has been a nightmare since. I wont go into detail about what happened to me but I did sustain nerve damage and lots of scarring in my vaginal and lower pelvic area. I was in the hospital for three days trying to get my pain under control before I could go home. The doctor also performed an episiotomy on me to get my uterus out (which I did not find out about until my 6 week post op appointment) because I was so small and narrow in there and had never had children. I have had to have more surgery since then (with another doctor) and am now seeing a pelvic floor physical therapist. I also suffer from urinary incontinence since my hysterectomy and find this frustrating, ironic, and humiliating since I have always been very thin, active, and never even had children. I am only 35 years old now. I did everything right in my recovery and was off work for four weeks, and light duty for three weeks after returning to work. I share this information because so often women think a vaginal hysterectomy is so much easier to recover from than an abdominal hysterectomy but there are just as many risks involved and complications are still possible. It is important to be prepared for all possible outcomes and hear both sides of the story. Best of luck whatever you decide to do.

Last edited by moderator2; 03-06-2008 at 08:33 PM. Reason: posting search instructions is the same as posting websites

Old 03-07-2008, 10:30 AM   #7
(female)

mom9302 HB User
Re: Laproscopic Assisted Vaginal Hysterectomy

I had my uterus and left ovary and tube removed that was all.

Old 03-09-2008, 01:31 PM   #8
(female)

abeeson01 HB User

Thanks Mom! I feel better knowing that the removal of the cervix is not always the case. I've heard several different views about this. I still think I am going to ask me doctor to remove mine since she told me that my pain stemmed from my cervix. Thanks again!

Old 03-10-2008, 07:57 AM   #9
(female)

mom9302 HB User
Wink Re: Laproscopic Assisted Vaginal Hysterectomy

One thing I am going to tell you that no one should dispute is that YOU must trust and feel comfortable with your doctor. No one can go by gutt feeling and personal relationship with your doctor except you. However being a nurse and also having a hysterectomy I have not been told before that the actual cervix will cause pain unless there is some form of trauma there. Just make sure you do what you believe is right for you because we can all offer our experiences and advice but we don't have to live with YOUR decision. Take care and God bless you.
Brande

Old 03-12-2008, 03:23 AM   #10
(female)

pink2813 HB User
Unhappy Re: Laproscopic Assisted Vaginal Hysterectomy

Hi. I'm a new user. I am looking for encouragement about my upcoming hyst. (Next week)I'm realizing that I don't even know if my doc will take out my cervix or not. I'm so miserable right now (cramping, bleeding every 2-3 weeks, bloating, breast soreness) that I actually can't wait to get this over with! Just yesterday I found out that my Thyroid TSH levels are "off". I take 90mg of Armour, and my symptoms lead me to think I wasn't taking enough. Turns out I'm taking way too much. I thought the nurse said my level was at 16??? I have such fog brain that I don't remember. I have to write EVERYTHING down these days. Encouragement and hysterectomy success stories is what I need.

Old 03-12-2008, 01:11 PM   #11
(female)

hearts4120 HB User

I had a hysterectomy done in 2000. I knew going in the OR that my GYN would remove cervix, uterus (of course) but we were not sure about both ovaries, when he got in there they were covered with bloody cysts and a pain generator for me so out they came. I can tell you that for me it was a good choice to have the surgery. I had complete faith in my doctor. Was I worried and do I worry sometimes now about being on HRT, yes. But given the fact that my life was being seriously altered by pain, etc I made a good choice.

Best of luck to you...

Lori

DDD, Spinal Stenosis, Fibromyalgia,
ALIF surgery on December 10, 2007, numerous Injections, SCS December 2010.

Old 03-12-2008, 04:58 PM   #12
(female)

pink2813 HB User

Thanks. Did you have an ultrasound before your surgery? My doc says that mine was normal except for a follicle on my ovary. But I bleed for 1-2 weeks out of 3. Even harder to deal with is the breast soreness, weight gain and bloating. Did you have a weight probs after surgery?

Old 03-13-2008, 03:28 PM   #13
(female)

abeeson01 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by mom9302 View Post
One thing I am going to tell you that no one should dispute is that YOU must trust and feel comfortable with your doctor. No one can go by gutt feeling and personal relationship with your doctor except you. However being a nurse and also having a hysterectomy I have not been told before that the actual cervix will cause pain unless there is some form of trauma there. Just make sure you do what you believe is right for you because we can all offer our experiences and advice but we don't have to live with YOUR decision. Take care and God bless you.
Brande
Mom, thank you for your encouraging words. I appreciate you taking the time to reply to my post. As for my cervix issue...upon doing a pelvic exam my doctor began "poking" around on various parts of me and when she began examining my cervix I immediately knew something was wrong, as did she. I wanted to scream! Now, I don't know much about things like this. I like to think that my doctor is experienced enough for the both of us but after reading your reply I am beginning to question whether or not my cervix is actually the issue? Can you tell me what kind of trauma would cause this kind of pain? Do you think that sexual abuse could contribute to cervical trauma? What about cervical cancer? The only thing I know for sure is that the exam of my cervix was PAINFUL! I just wish I knew what was causing the pain. I don't want to make the wrong decision but I don't want to realize in a few years (or however long) that I actually should have had my cervix taken out. If this is necessary, I want it all done at the same time. I don't want to have another surgery.

Old 03-14-2008, 04:47 PM   #14
(female)

mom9302 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by abeeson01 View Post
Mom, thank you for your encouraging words. I appreciate you taking the time to reply to my post. As for my cervix issue...upon doing a pelvic exam my doctor began "poking" around on various parts of me and when she began examining my cervix I immediately knew something was wrong, as did she. I wanted to scream! Now, I don't know much about things like this. I like to think that my doctor is experienced enough for the both of us but after reading your reply I am beginning to question whether or not my cervix is actually the issue? Can you tell me what kind of trauma would cause this kind of pain? Do you think that sexual abuse could contribute to cervical trauma? What about cervical cancer? The only thing I know for sure is that the exam of my cervix was PAINFUL! I just wish I knew what was causing the pain. I don't want to make the wrong decision but I don't want to realize in a few years (or however long) that I actually should have had my cervix taken out. If this is necessary, I want it all done at the same time. I don't want to have another surgery.
I also hurt upon pelvic examination however now on my 2 week postop it DID NOT hurt and I have my cervix. Various things can cause scaring which at anytime can become tender such as sexual abuse, IUD, using tampons such as when they are inserted, or any kind of injury such as bike accidents. from what I understand which no I am not a doctor or expert cervical cancer generally does not cause pain. what I would do if I had the questions you have is write them down and ask your doctor. any good doctor will take all the time in the world to answer your questions. I also do not want you to have to have a second surgery but I just want you to think about this: If you take it out there is no option to put it back however if you leave it there you have the option whether you want another surgery or not to get it removed. Like I have stated before I felt this surgery was a breeze and one little thought to help you maybe with your decision is if later on you do chose to have the cervix removed it is a very relative simple procedure. I hope I have helped. God bless you in your decision.

Old 03-16-2008, 09:05 PM   #15
(female)

jill60 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by abeeson01 View Post
Has anyone here ever had a LAVH? If so, can anyone tell me what the expected hospital stay is for this procedure? I probably should have asked the doctor this when she told me I needed the surgery. However, I was in shock from the news and neglected to ask any questions. I do not see my doctor again until March 31st for my pre-op appointment. (surgery is April 3rd) I have searched the internet over and over but I can not find a rough figure regarding the hospital stay. Some of the information I have come across has stated 1 - 4 days, others say less than a day. I don't know what to expect!

Also, can anyone tell me roughly how long it will be after the surgery before I am able to go back to work? Any feedback is greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance...
I had my LAVH on a Thurs. & went home on Sat. I stayed the extra day due to having the bladder sling. They said they would normally have sent me home on Fri. They will also take your cervix. I had been told when doing a LAVH your cervix has to come out.

good luck

Last edited by jill60; 03-16-2008 at 09:08 PM.

Closed Thread