It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Hysterectomy Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-13-2008, 11:19 PM   #1
(female)

TERRY1978 HB User
Hysterectomy Support

I Live In Illinois And I Am Looking For Someone To Talk To On Hysterectomy. I Am Suppose To Have A Complelte Hysterectomy The First Monay In May I Am Not Sure The Date. I Have So Many Different Question, My Head Is Spinning. My Doctor Has Not Been Very Helpful. I Have An Enlarged Uterus With Fibroids, My Doctor Said I Am The Size Of A 3 Month Pregnancy, Is A Hysterectomy Like A Cesarean Section I Have For Kids All By Cesarean Section, I Wanted A Hysterectomy After My Last Child But My Doctor Didn't Let Me Have It. I Have Been Having Very Heavy Bleeding It's So Bad I Have Been Wearing Depend Diapers Since My Last Child Was Born, It's Very Agervating I Had Been Changing The Baby's Iaper And Also Having To Change Myself. My Husband Doesn't Like To Be Out With Me Because He Said He Can See It Moving When I Walk And He Can Hear It. I Am Looking Forward To The Hysterectomy To Get My Life Back But I Am Very Scared Of Not Knowing What To Expect. I Am Afrai Of Being Put Under Can I Be Awake For It Like A Cesarean Section. Like I Said My Doctor Has Not Been Helpful And Doesn't Answer My Questions, I Am Done Having Kids So This Is My Best Opinion I Beleive. My Doctor Has Not Given Me Other Choices I Haven't Gone For A Second Opinion Because I Am Looking Forward To It.

Last edited by Mod-S4; 04-14-2008 at 11:01 PM. Reason: Offering off-board contact info is not allowed on this forum.

Old 04-18-2008, 09:55 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Kari7171 HB User
Re: Hysterectomy Support

I also had fibroids that enlarged my uterus. I had a hysterectomy March 27.
There are different kinds of hysterectomy to choose from. I had mine done laparoscopically which is much easier to recover from then having a large incision. They just made a 1/2" incision at my belly button and then two 1" incisions lower closer to my hips. My uterus turned out to have 100 marble size fibroids all over the inside and outside and the whole mess was adhered to my abdomen.

I was put under General Anesthesia so completely out. It was my third time so I was looking forward to being out. It goes so fast they put you out and the next thing you remember is waking up in the recovery room. I've heard that they can do it with an Epidural so you would be awake during. It all depends on the doctor and what he recommends and gives for options. Maybe find a different doctor. I know mine didn't really answer all of my questions but I knew he was a good surgeon since he offered the Laparoscopic option and not all gyno's even know how to do this yet. It's pretty new technology.

That really sucks with having to wear Depends like that. I almost bought some for at night. I would bleed so heavy that even with a tampon and two pads I'd end up with blood all over the sheets sometimes. I ended up having the hyst and haven't had to worry about that and won't ever again for the rest of my life it's so great.

By the way I kept my cervix and both of my ovaries. There is a chance of getting mini periods with this. I haven't had any bleeding or spotting at all since my surgery 3 weeks ago. In a few weeks I'll know if I end up with the mini periods which are very small I hear just spotting for a couple days. My doctor did say there is only a 5% chance of getting them though.

Good luck with your surgery. Once you are all healed you'll be so happy that you won't bleed anymore. I've been so happy about that. There can be spotting and bleeding as part of the surgery though but that is temporary until you are healed.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-18-2008, 11:51 PM   #3
(female)

mygizzy HB User

I'm not sure if my experience is common or not, but I had my total laparscopic hysterectomy on April 10th. First let me tell you how terrified I was about having this done. I have never been under general anesthesia nor have had any type of surgery. I had 2 huge fibroids, one degenerated in December (of which made me extremely sick and had pain as if I was in labor) and my uterus was the size of an 18 week pregnancy. I had really no choice in the matter and I had very mixed feelings regarding the surgery. A friend of the family recommended a surgeon and after meeting with him I felt very confident that he was the right one for me. After being told by my other gyno that I had to have it done abdominally, this surgeon said he could do it laparscopically. Let me tell you how thrilled I was! After saying "bye" to my fiance and mom in the pre-op room, I had NO memory of anything until I came out of it in recovery. I did have horrible dizziness as soon as I opened my eyes that lasted several hours after I was transfered to my room. It did ease up by 7pm that night but that was something I wasn't prepared for. I had no pain afterward, was given "Motrin" through my I.V., but I did have a catheter in until the next morning. I had excellent care in the hospital. I came home the next day about 4pm. Instructions were given for me to rest at home for 2 weeks, no driving for that amount of time either, and not to lift anything heavier than 10 lbs. Now this is where I don't know if this was normal or that I have been very blessed, but, I haven't had any severe pain! I was prescribed Motrin 600mg and Percoset, but never needed to take anything. My stomach was a bit sore and it felt like it was falling down to my knees when I stood up. It was a bit annoying not being able to sleep on my left side like I normally do, but laying a bit more flat on my back felt much better. Oh, the gas pains were sharp, but that was to be expected. Today my fiance and I went to the grocery store and the home improvement store, he drove of course, and I took my time walking around them so that is very encouraging as well. I just want those of you who are contemplating surgery or those who are already scheduled to not be too afraid and drive yourself nuts like I did. I kept thinking on the way to the hospital, at 6am, what the heck am I doing! I just wanted to go right back home and "wish" the fibroids away! I did alot of praying and alot of talking it out and I do think that helped me. Having a good surgeon and having faith in his/her ability will ease your mind a bit. I am VERY glad I went through with it even though I was literally scared to death! Now I can get back to planning our wedding for June 7th of this year. Talk about having a full plate! We were engaged on Feb 27th, 2008 and 2 days before he proposed he received a letter saying he is going to be deployed to Iraq at the end of August. Now you can see where the mixed feelings about my surgery came into play. My prayers are with all who are facing surgery!

Old 04-20-2008, 10:35 AM   #4
(female)

fizzy70 HB User

Hi, I have an abdominal hysterectomy on 11th March. Now i don't think my expeience was entirely normal but there has been one common thread that I experienced and others in England have when Iv spoken to other women who have had hysterectomys; and it is something nobody warned me about and i wished someone had then i would have 1) known to expect it and 2) not been quite so worried: that being chronic stomach cramps and intestine spasms. Here's my story:-

I am 38 and had my operation due to horrendous periods that left me dangerously aneomic, I also had a 3 lb fibroid that made me look 4 months pregnant, and a huge ovarian cyst that had gone purple and twisted and was settling in behind my womb and pushing my womb out! (Neither myself or my surgeon knew this was there until the op) so i am left with half a fallopian tube and 1 ovary. So naturally I was really looking forward to having my op. I went down to surgery on the Tuesday at half 9 am, was back on the ward just after lunch feeling sleepy. When the nurse cqme to check my blood pressure etc I said that I felt like I was bleeding (in a period way), she checked and I was, but I shouldn't have been, so I was taken back down to theatre, put back to sleep so surgeon could go in vaginally this time and stitch the membranes in where the womb was! Being a very petite build and a size 4 i think 2 anesthetics was too much for my body to handle.

The next day I looked 9 months pregnant with a solid stomach and was in constant pain (but not from my hysterectomy scar or stitches - for this I haven't needed any pain killers or had any pain at all. It just kind of feels very empty). I was violently sick on the 3rd day (not what you want when packed full of stitches), put back on the drip coz I hadn't eaten now for 3 days. I discharged myself on the Friday (couldn't stand it in hospital any longer). I still wasn't eating at this point. On the Sunday I had horrendous diarrohea ( again not what you want when you can hardle walk)! My sister rang the doctor on the Monday coz by this point I hadn't eaten for a week because my stomach was so huge and felt so tight I was having trouble breathing let alone eating; I felt as though I couldnt put anything in not even liquid. And every 4 or 5 minutes I was having chronic labour type pains in the pit of my actual stomach which would then result in my whole torso going into a tight spasm. The doctor put me on liquid diet only for another two days with complete bed rest. I had to drink rehydration drinks. So by the time I acttually ate anything it was 10 days after te op. I looked like an ethopian - big bulging stomach, and skin and bone every where else. I lost over a stone in weight, the stomach cramps continued for over up to 4 weeks but gradually moved their way down throught mt intestines which would get a colic spasm and then release with a huge gurgle. These were so loud one night they kept me awake all night.

However, I am now in my 7th week, have put my weight back on, have just started driving again (which is fab), my loss/discharge has just about gone and am eating well and the stomach pains have gone completely. I am feeling and looking so much better.

Now whether my problems were due to having 2 anesthetics or not I don't know but please just be aware that you MAY experience them. If someone had warned me I would have known not to be so worried and thinking they had stitched my intestines to my something they shouldn't have!!!!!

Do just take it really easy though, coz its amazing once 6 weeks has passed all of a sudden you feel fab and can move properly etc.

Take care, I hope it goes ok x

Old 04-23-2008, 07:11 PM   #5
(female)

Lizzie62 HB User

Hi Terry,
First, ignore Fizzy , just kidding. That was REALLY awful Fizzy! However, I do need to say that I had a hysterectomy due to extremely heavy bleeding, severe anemia, and horrendous dibilitating pain. I had previously had two laproscopic procedures for my lovely cystic ovaries as well as three c-sections and a tubal ligation. When I had my last child, I lost all my weight within a few months. Slowly but surely my bleeding got worse and worse and worse. The cramps I had slowly but surely became so horrible that they made my life a living hell. I went from one medication to another to try to dull the pain. I was finally reduced to Vicodan and alcohol to get numb. Then my period came, went for two weeks, then came back and didn't go away. Within a month I was done. I needed a hysterectomy. I had a good ten years at best of this. I gained 70 lbs since my weight loss from the birth of my last child. I was in too much pain to do anything, I barely wanted to get out of bed. So in January of 2006, I had my hysterectomy. Recovery wasn't really easy, it was slow but steady. They took everything but the ovaries. Now, two years later, I no longer have anemia (the first time I can remember). I have taken off 40 lbs. I have energy and stamina. I am still looking to take off the remaining 30 lbs. Honestly, this is the best decision I ever made. There was some bleeding/discharge after the surgery but lighter and not as long as after having a child. I had two of my c-sections awake and the first one because it was an extreme emergency, I was put totally under. I would prefer to be out of it totally then be awake. But this is my preferance. I really don't think it's anything to worry about.
Good Luck Sweety!
Liz

"Life is Beautiful" Sixx:AM

Old 04-23-2008, 09:13 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

music47 HB User

Terry

I had an abdominal hysterectomy in March 1985. I had endometreosis and a cyst on my left ovary. I was swelled up like I was pregnant before the surgery. The surgery went well and I felt better than I had in a long time. My prayers are with you Terry. If you have any questions I'll be glad to answer them. I hope you'll stay in touch.

Hugs Nadine

Old 04-24-2008, 08:22 AM   #7
(female)

fizzy70 HB User

god I am genuinley sorry. I didn't mean to scare anybody with my exerience I thought the whole point of this message board was to share your experiences. I didn't mean to frighten you it was just something that happened to me that i would have liked to have known about. As I said I had experienced no pain at all from my hysterectomy itself. Once again please accept my apologies. Sorry. Fizz x

Old 04-24-2008, 06:49 PM   #8
(female)

Lizzie62 HB User

Awww Fizz,
I understand, but it did sound awful. It is good that you have your say. This makes it very well rounded. It shows that there is a lot that can happen, good or bad! I have read some people on here that had a laproscopic hysterectomy and had very little pain! I definetly needed a full 6 weeks to recover and felt like I should have done half days at work the first week. So the experiance is very different for everyone. Fizz, you did nothing wrong, Terry wanted to know what people experianced. I was just trying to add some humor to it. I am glad you are doing so much better, Luv!
Liz

"Life is Beautiful" Sixx:AM

Old 04-25-2008, 09:04 PM   #9
(female)

mygizzy HB User
Smile Re: Hysterectomy Support

Hello Lizzie,
I'm wondering if I read your post right (or it's just my tired eyes) but did you say you went back to work the first week out of surgery? I had a lap hyst, just taking my huge uterus out, but my doc said rest and do nothing for 2 weeks, not even any driving was allowed. I'm wondering what kind of hysterectomy you had.

Thanks!
Deb

Old 04-26-2008, 06:20 AM   #10
(male)

randyk47 HB User

My wife had LSH in July of 2006 and was out of work just two weeks. She actually was cleared to go back to work and drive exactly one week after the procedure. Doctor agreed to sign the medical slip for work to let her stay out the additional week but it was more that my wife had it scheduled than it was she needed the extra time. It's going to be different for every person and, in my wife's case, she was in pretty good condition health speaking other than the need for the surgery. She only took the prescribed pain killer, and only half of what she could have taken, for the first two days post-op. She wasn't in a lot of pain even from the beginning and didn't like the "loopy" feeling. The morning of the third day she switched to Tylenol and stopped even taking that by the end of one week.

Closed Thread