It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Hysterectomy Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-29-2008, 08:35 PM   #1
(female)

denise7172 HB User
Solid mass on ovary wth adenomyosis need Hysterectomy..worried!

Hello. I have a history of endometriosis, infertility, miscarriages, very heavy periods with clots and alot of pain. This has been going on since I was teenager. I am now 35 and have 2 beautiful daughters, 11yrs and 7 yrs. I have begged and fought with numerous doctors for years to give me a hysterectomy. I have finally found a wonderful Dr who takes me serious and wants to find out whats wrong with me and make it better. I had a transvaginal u/s today and my Dr said I have a solid mass on my right ovary, fluid filled cyst on my left, scarring on both tubes and adenomyosis. I can handle the scarring and the fluid cyst but the solid mass or tumor is really worrying me. I guess my question is has anyone else had this? And what was your experience with a LAVH? The DR also told me that I may possibly have to have it done abdominally depending on what she finds when she "gets in there"....She says that with my history it is very likely.... I guess right now I just need some positive comments and to hear from someone who has been through this, and what to expect... I am currently 6 weeks post op from having my gallbladder removed and this board has been a tremendous help with that. Any thoughts or advice will be greatly appreciated. Basiclly I am a single parent, my husband works out of town and is only here one weekend out of the month. It helps alot to hear from others! Thank you in advance for any advice!
Denise

The following user gives a hug of support to denise7172:
lisacarter (06-17-2011)
Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-30-2008, 05:39 AM   #2
Inactive
(female)

Shshi HB UserShshi HB User
Re: Solid mass on ovary wth adenomyosis need Hysterectomy..worried!

Hi Denise,

I'm sorry you're having to go through this. I know how scary it all can be.

Does your doctor feel that there is anything to be concerned about with the solid mass on your ovary? Doctors can usually tell via ultrasound if a cyst or tumor is cancerous, though of course, the only certain way to tell is through biopsy. The good news is that almost all cysts, even the solid ones, are benign.

I had a total abdominal hysterectomy in 2002 for fibroid tumors. In 2005, I was diagnosed with a complex cyst on my left ovary. We just kept an eye on it for several months, but my doctor didn't feel there was any risk since it wasn't growing in size.

Last year, I started having pain in my lower abdomen, bloating, loss of appetite (actually lost 25 lbs. in 3 months without dieting), alternating constipation/diarrhea, etc. All of these are symptoms of ovarian cancer, though ovarian cancer is difficult to diagnose just by symptoms because there are so many other conditions with the same symptoms. I had an u/s and they found a 4 cm solid tumor on my left ovary and a functional cyst on my right ovary. Even with all of the symptoms that I had my doctor, who is a gyn/oncologist, didn't feel that the tumor was cancerous.

However, he did recommend having my ovaries removed, so I did on Dec. 17 last year. Sure enough, the tumor on the left and the cyst on the right were both benign. In addition, I had a tumor in one of my fallopian tubes, and adhesions (scar tissue from my hysterectomy) had basically glued everything together inside. My ovaries were stuck to my bladder and my colon, and everything was stuck to my abdominal wall. My doctor said I had extremely severe adhesions. (I was supposed to be having the surgery laparoscopically, but after the doctor saw all that mess, I ended up with an 8" incision through my old hysterectomy scar and a four day hospital stay.)

Anyway, good luck with everything. Just hang in there, and let us know how you're doing.

Big hugs,

Lisa

Last edited by Shshi; 04-30-2008 at 11:27 AM.

Old 04-30-2008, 08:17 AM   #3
(female)

denise7172 HB User

Hi Lisa, Thanks so much for your response. Wow, sounds like you had a rough time of it! Glad to hear that the cyst were benign. My Dr didnt really seem concerned with the tumor...maybe that means I shouldnt worry? She even told me that even though she didnt know what it is, chances are it's a spot of endo. It's just that the word "tumor" scares me because I have alot of cancer in my family, none have had ovarian though. Guess I'm just being a little paranoid! I know that I need this surgery and I'm very thankful to have found a Dr that will do it. It's comforting to hear that you are doing well. I do worry about having to go back later and have the ovary out, that has happened to several people that I know. Makes me wonder if I should just go ahead and tell her to take them both and be done with it. Are you doing any kind of HRT? If so, do you tolerate them ok? Thanks again for your response and kind words, they mean so much! I'll keep you posted!
Denise

Old 04-30-2008, 11:26 AM   #4
Inactive
(female)

Shshi HB UserShshi HB User

Hi Denise,

My doctor started me on the Vivelle-Dot transdermal patch the day after surgery, and I have had no problems with it at all. In fact, if it weren't for the scar from the surgery (which has faded almost out), I'd never even know I had surgery. I've had no hot flashes, no mood swings, nothing. In fact, one benefit has been that my hair is not going grey as fast as it was before. (I've been going grey since I was 27. I'm 45 now.)

Talk to your doctor about the benefits and drawbacks to removing your ovaries at the time of your hysterectomy. (If I had it to do over, I'd probably have just had them taken out when I had my hysterectomy.)

Hugs,

Lisa

Old 04-30-2008, 12:45 PM   #5
(female)

denise7172 HB User

Thanks again Lisa!!

Old 05-02-2008, 05:31 AM   #6
Inactive
(female)

remtana HB User

I recently had a hysterectomy with an abdominal insicion. I got to keep most of the cervix. Happy about that. I also have been on the Vivelle Dot since 2 days after surgery and really like it. Maybe one or two very mild hot flashes. But nothing for about 2-3 weeks now. It has really seemed to increase my sex drive too.

Old 05-02-2008, 10:32 AM   #7
(female)

denise7172 HB User

Hi remtana, Thanks so much for your response, thats just the kind of thing I need to hear. Glad your doing well, I will mention the vivelle-dot to my Dr if she has to take both ovaries. Hope you continue to do well!
Denise

Closed Thread