It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Hysterectomy Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-17-2008, 01:58 PM   #1
(female)

LinuxRocks HB User
Question Abdominal pain (years after hysterectomy)

When I had my hysterectomy (which included both ovaries) when I was 22, I know that my doctor did something in terms of uterosacral supports, although at the time I didn't get the specifics. (And she's long gone, unfortunately. She was the best doctor I've ever had.) I was more concerned about saving my life, and little details like uterosacral supports just didn't seem like a big deal. Anyway, I know that she mentioned something way back when about the potential for scar tissue building up on these supports and causing problems down the road...well, now, I wonder if that's where I am.

I've had intermittent pain symmetrically in my abdomen, i.e., occurring (not at the same time) in the same place in both the right and left lower abdomen. The pain varies from a dull ache to downright breathtaking, depending on the circumstances. For example, if it occurs as a result of twisting to one side, it'll be a SHARP, quick pain that subsides again quickly after realigning myself. If I use my abdominal muscles to sit up, the pain can happen on either side and is, again, sharp and breathtaking.

Because I've been plagued with IBS (the diarrhea variety to be specific) for MANY years, I think this has been overlooked as a possible explanation for some of my abdominal pain. The assumption always seems to be that IBS + abdominal pain = must be due to IBS. I saw my GI doc yesterday (for unrelated reasons) and I'm scheduled for a colonoscopy in two weeks. I talked to him about this symmetrical pain and he agreed that it could very well be the uterosacral supports; he said scar tissue can involve nerves which, obviously, would cause pain. Assuming that he can rule out a colon-related issue for this pain (and he agrees it doesn't sound colon-related), I'm just not sure what to do next.

I haven't had a gynecologist in years, since after my favorite doctor retired due to illness and I didn't like the doctors who bought her practice. Since I don't exactly have "female" issues any more, I've been fine for years just seeing my primary doc and having her do pelvic exams and the like. But I wonder now if maybe I need to see a gyno? Also, I recently moved back to my home state, and the primary doc I used to have--and really liked--is out of the picture. I'm not all that comfortable with the one I have here; she's okay, but she's...well, she's not my OTHER one.

Has anyone else experienced pain like this, LONG after a hysterectomy? If so, what was done to diagnose it and to treat it? Should I go see a gynecologist? (I'll wait until after the GI tests, though.)

Sponsors Lightbulb

Closed Thread