It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Hysterectomy Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-19-2008, 10:42 PM   #1
(female)

skymiles HB User
Hysterectomy - Pros & Cons

Hi there -

I'd love to hear any experiences/comments/thoughts - both positive and negative - regarding hysterectomies. Re the actual surgery and hospital stay, the recouperation time (how long before able to work a full day), and life in general afterwards.

I have numerous fibroids (too many to count) and my uterus is the size of a 4 mth pregnancy! My main issue is very heavy and very long periods, causing low iron. Plus, I'd love to get rid of this new mid-riff!

I'd be particularly interested in hearing from anyone who had it prior to menopause, and whether they went through an earlier menopause (even with the ovaries saved). Any changes in sex life, etc, etc?

Any stories would really help me with my decision in weighing the pros and cons ... ie whether it could be better to live with my present situation rather than having a whole new set of problems to deal with afterwards ... (that somehow the doctors don't seem to know about!).

Thank you!

Old 05-20-2008, 12:16 AM   #2
(female)

jill60 HB User
Re: Hysterectomy - Pros & Cons

I had a LAVH in 2007, I also had my bladder tied up. I was out of work for 6 weeks, Dr. said I could be out for 8 but I did go back at 6 weeks. I too had Fibroids. I was bleeding for 25 days straight prior to my surgery.
I had not started menopause prior to surgery. I had my ovaries out because the Dr. said they looked bad. Surgical Menopause is harder, you have your hormones one minute & they are gone the next, where if you keep your ovaries you would go through menopause as usual as long as your ovaries don't stop working. They say they may go to sleep for a brief period from the surgery. I had lost 13lbs withing 3 wks after surgery. I couldn't drive for 2 wks also. I also had my cervix removed & I can't tell any difference as far as sex goes. I still have great orgasams!
I feel pretty good, I am using bio-identical hormones.
Try to keep your ovaries!
Good Luck!
Jill

Last edited by jill60; 05-20-2008 at 12:17 AM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-20-2008, 07:10 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

neffie663 HB User

i can only tell you what my best friend went through. she was 31 at the time of her h she had no complications andwas back to normal 6 weeks later, she said as long as a man would take his time there is no need for lubricant.she still has her ovaries the dr said her bladder might drop and have to have future surgery on it.

Old 05-24-2008, 09:25 AM   #4
(female)

skymiles HB User

Hi, thanks for sharing.

I believe I won't be having LAVH, which I guess means a more complicated surgery and longer recoup time. Will be keeping my ovaries, but I'm still concerned that with the uterus gone, it will might affect them, and bring on an earlier menopause. I'm really terrified of any HRT and don't intend taking anything like that.

Charlene, do you know whether your friend had LAVH or not?

One last question, not sure if anyone knows whether your iron levels need to be at a certain level before they'll do surgery? I really want to avoid blood transfusions.

Thks!

Old 05-24-2008, 09:52 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

neffie663 HB User

my friends was vaginal but my mom was cut the dr was a jerk he took her ovaries for no reason so make sure your clear before hand about what is going to be done

Old 05-26-2008, 07:27 PM   #6
(female)

Lizzie62 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by skymiles View Post
Hi, thanks for sharing.

I believe I won't be having LAVH, which I guess means a more complicated surgery and longer recoup time. Will be keeping my ovaries, but I'm still concerned that with the uterus gone, it will might affect them, and bring on an earlier menopause. I'm really terrified of any HRT and don't intend taking anything like that.

Charlene, do you know whether your friend had LAVH or not?

One last question, not sure if anyone knows whether your iron levels need to be at a certain level before they'll do surgery? I really want to avoid blood transfusions.

Thks!
Hi,
I really think I can help you a bit. I had my hysterectomy 2 years ago at age 43, pre-menopausal. I had a LAVH, kept my ovaries but not the cervix because of a bad pap smear a looooong time ago! So, The first few months, were rough as I did have menopause symptoms. So expect mood swings, hot flashes, cold flashes, crying jags... The good thing is it doesn't last all that long and gets better on a daily basis. I would say that my last hot flash was about six months after the surgery, and by that time it was very few and far between. Now I am completely normal.... well menopause wise anyway.
It took a year and a half to get my iron levels out of the anemic stage but I don't ever remember not being anemic! I was very low, only about 1 point above transfusion, and I didn't get any transfusions during surgery. I would take as much iron as possible if I were you just in case.
My recovery took the entire 6 weeks. Mostly because I wore out very easily. But I think it was from years of anemia.
Good luck!
Liz

"Life is Beautiful" Sixx:AM

Closed Thread