It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Hysterectomy Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-19-2008, 10:27 AM   #1
(female)

julie39180 HB User
Question PMS/PMDD/hysterectomy?

hello everyone,
WILL A HYSTERECTOMY HELP WITH MY PMS/PMDD???
i have PMDD (PREMENSTUAL DIFFENCY DISORDER) that is horriable every 2 weeks before i start my monthly period and last until i start. i get really depressed, cry over anything and everything, stay in the bed all the time, bloated, miserable, groucy, loosing my mind, i turn into a whole another person, and take it all out on my family, ETC, ETC.... i have been on every depression meds. there is and nothing helps or if it does it stops working after 6 months or so and the meds. cant be upped.... i have been going thrugh this for years, every since i got off the birth control pill (which gave me yeast infections monthly) and got a tubelazation and im so tired of it and the dr. says, "we have done/tried everything and i dont know what else to do!"
I WAS WOUNDERING HAS ANYONE HAD A HYSTERECTOMY BECAUSE OF HAVEING BAD PMS/PMDD AND DID IT HELP????

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-24-2008, 03:29 PM   #2
(female)

Figaro77 HB User
Re: PMS/PMDD/hysterectomy?

Hi there,

I am new to this forum and have been searching for insight on hysterectomies since my Dr. suggested a RAH (Robotic Assisted Hysterectomy) as a last resort to help with my constant spotting that won't stop no matter what pill they put me on. It is very annoying and life altering to have this problem all the time! I too have PMDD and take meds for it and have actually gotten that issue under control for the most part... those around me don't "fear for their lives" so to speak! I have a family history of liver problems and have also had the essure procedure (sterilization procedure) done as I do not want to have any kids but my Dr. is still trying to control bleeding with birth control pills at the risk of adding to my liver issues. It's a rather difficult balancing situation and my family history suggests that I will have this issue with the bleeding for several years to come (I am 36 and my sister had this issue until she was 48). My thoughts from reading these posts put me in the mindset that I want to get off the hormones that are trying to "stop my bleeding" and I am keeping my ovaries as they are healthy so I am seriously leaning towards having the procedure done. I don't know how all this will play into my PMDD so I guess we both will see how we do... good luck.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-05-2008, 01:52 PM   #3
(female)

TNWalker0709 HB User

Julie, a hysterectomy will only help if you have your ovaries removed too. But then, you're thrown into surgical menopause and may have problems from that, unless you go on HRT and even then, there's no guarantees. You really need to discuss this with your doctor.

Good luck, whatever you choose.

Last edited by TNWalker0709; 07-05-2008 at 01:53 PM.

Old 07-05-2008, 06:10 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

Pickle Eyes HB UserPickle Eyes HB UserPickle Eyes HB User

To add to what TNWalker says, I suggest you get another doctor's opinion on what else can be done.

Old 01-03-2009, 06:31 PM   #5
(female)

JaneDoeToo HB User

I spoke to a GYN that wanted to prescribe Lupron before he would do a hysterectomy to correct hormonal problems. There were a couple of other drugs, injections, but they all force you into a chemical menopause. If the artificially induced menopause 'cured' the PMS/PMDD issues, only then would he consider doing a hysterectomy.

Old 01-03-2009, 07:22 PM   #6
(female)

julie39180 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by JaneDoeToo View Post
I spoke to a GYN that wanted to prescribe Lupron before he would do a hysterectomy to correct hormonal problems. There were a couple of other drugs, injections, but they all force you into a chemical menopause. If the artificially induced menopause 'cured' the PMS/PMDD issues, only then would he consider doing a hysterectomy.

hi janedoetoo,
well i ended up having a total hyst, dec, 17th.... b/c i startrd having heavy non stop periods for 21 days and then start again every week r soo and i was also on birthcontrol pills... and i got very tired of that, the dr also found i had a cis on each ovary plus my utrus was a little big... anywaz, i had everything removed and hopefully it will help with the pmdd... so far, i have been put on harmones for the menopause but hey the way i look at it is, there are lots of med. to help u with the menopause and the seem to know more about treating it, THAN THE PMDD. everything i tried never worked...
so i really hope n pray that the pmdd is a thing of the past......

Old 01-04-2009, 12:57 PM   #7
(female)

JaneDoeToo HB User

Thanks Julie. I am interested in how things work out for you. I've have always had problems with my period - as a kid - severe cramps. 20's: missing periods and mood swings. 30's: ovarian cysts, PCOS, facial hair, temper, etc. 40's: Tons of facial hair, mostly skipped periods...... Too many doctors later, I still have no real help. I've tried birth control pills since teens, and they make me CRAZY!! I'm told it is the progesterone in them. They also give me horrible headaches. Their answer to stopping the facial hair growth is hormones, but I can't take them. I've tried laser, electrolysis, but they don't help, enough or at all.

Closed Thread