It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Hysterectomy Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-23-2008, 09:36 AM   #1
(female)

denise7172 HB User
Had Abdominal Hysterectomy, have questions...Please help!!

Hello, I had an abdominal hysterectomy on June 13. I was supposed to have a LAVH but because I had so much going on the Dr had to do abdominal. She told me after surgery that I was a "mess" on the inside. My uterus was attached to my colon from endo. I had to have a blood transfusion and developed an infection post-op...
Anyway, I was wondering if anyone could tell me what is normal as far as healing goes? I still cant stand up straight and when I pee I have strong pressure and pain. I know it cant be a UTI because I am on 3 different antibiotics. I know that my body has been through a tremendous shock and healing takes time but I thought by now that the pain should be getting a little better? It has been a week and a half since surgery. The slightest bit of activity exausts me, just taking a shower wears me out. My post op visit isnt until the end of this week and hopefully I can get some answers fom my Dr. Any advice or just sharing your experience would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!!

Old 06-23-2008, 09:53 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Jenn4508 HB UserJenn4508 HB User
Re: Had Abdominal Hysterectomy, have questions...Please help!!

Hang in there my friend, there is a light at the end of the tunnel... I am 45 and had to have an abdominal hysterectomy at the age of 29 when my youngest son was only a year old... It does take alot out of you due to the fact that it is a major surgery so don't be so hard on yourself... At the time of mine I had a 1 year old and a 3-1/2 year old... I was not allowed to keep them at home with me when I first came home, my parents took them to the lake for a couple of days and then my husband had to take them to daycare and pick them up because I was not able to pick up the little one...

I do remember going to lunch with my Grandma after about 10 days and the pain became unbearable just doing that.. By the time I went back to have my staples taken out after two weeks, I was starting to feel better... I do remember however, I was off work for about 7 weeks... I do for some reason remember that at about 2-1/2 weeks, I cleaned my carpets, Big Mistake...

Hang in there, you will start to feel better... Jenn

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-23-2008, 01:17 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

Pickle Eyes HB UserPickle Eyes HB UserPickle Eyes HB User

(((hugs Denise))) I'm sorry your doctor had to do the abdominal surgery when you'd planned on LAVH. I was afraid my doctor was going to have to do the cut on me, too. Thankfully she was able to do the LAVH.

I am only 4.5 days postop and still have difficulty standing upright. I can easily imagine your recovery would be slower with the cut. I think it sounds like you are doing fine. Give your doctor's nurse a call and make sure your symptoms are within normal. They sound normal to me (even the easily exhausted), but the nurse will be better able to tell you.

My doctor's nurse called me an hour or so ago and I had a million questions for her. After talking for about 20 minutes I'd answered all of her questions and I think she's answered all of mine. I told her I'll call her back when I had a good long list of questions . . . and she said "I expect you to (call)"! That was such good words to hear. I'm glad she expects me to call her with my worries. I hope your doctor's nurse is the same way.

Take care and be easy on yourself. You only get one chance to heal!

Old 06-23-2008, 07:08 PM   #4
(female)

denise7172 HB User

Thanks Jenn and Pickle for your replies, it really helps to hear how others are doing. I am being very careful not to lift anything and resting alot. I have two daughter's, ages 11 and 7. They are "trying" to help as much as they can. My husband works out of town and has been with me since having the surgery but has to leave tomorrow and I'm dreading that!
Are either of you taking an HRT? My Dr. put me on prempro before leaving the hospital and I am tolerating it ok, no bad side effects yet... I have been having hot flashes and wake up in the middle of night in a sweat. Just wondering if I need to give the prempro time or try something different? I just have soo many questions!! I hope I can remember them all when I go for my check-up.
I hope you continue to do well. Thanks again for your replies and kind words!

Old 06-23-2008, 08:18 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

AnnD HB UserAnnD HB User

Yes you should be getting better and not just staying the same...you could very well have a UTI if you are not on the correct antibiotic and the pain when you pee indicates that you probably do have one and you can buy over the counter pain pills for the pee pain(Uristat,AZO,or whatever your store has) but of course you still need an antibiotic with sulfa for the UTI. But if you can't get in to see the doc til end of week you might want something for the pee pain. You do need to try and stand up straight each day but you are apparently are in too much pain...hopefully you are on enough pain medicine for you to begin to stand straight. You had major surgery with the added mess of everything stuck together...my daughter went though that same messy surgery with everything stuck together just last year and although recovery is rough she feels so much better a year later. Sleep and sleep some more but you really should be feeling better a little each day but if you have another infection it could be wearing you out more so be sure to ask them to test your urine for infection. You might want to take a sample of that mornings urine to speed up the process of testing? Try to see the doctor earlier tell them you just are in too much pain to wait til end of week. good luck.

Old 06-24-2008, 05:23 PM   #6
(female)

denise7172 HB User

Hello. I called my Dr and she asked me to go ahead and come in today. She did an exam and vaginal ultrasound, which was very uncomfortable to say the least! My urine is clear, no infection there. She thinks that I am having the pressure from everything that my body went through during surgery, all the moving things around, and that it's just going to take time to heal on the inside. She gave me some Enablex samples and says those should help with the discomfort when I pee. She says overall I appear to be on the mend and that everyday I should feel a little better. But to keep taking things slowly, resting alot and taking my pain meds when I need them. I am having a lot of hot flashes today, hopefully the prempro will help with that?
Just wanted to give you all an update and thanks again for your responses and advice, they really mean alot to me. I'll be checking back soon!

Old 06-24-2008, 08:42 PM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

Denise, thank you for updating us! It sounds like it was a big relief to see the doctor and know that SHE thinks you are healing well! I hope the meds help you.

Did the doctor take your ovaries during your LAVH? Mine didn't, so I am not on any HRT (Thank God!). I was anxious about whether I'd lose one or both of them.

I hope you are feeling better every day! I also hope you do well with your hubby gone. It sounds like you are probably at the place where the girls can help you with anything you can't do. And if they can't, then it is time to call in help! When does your husband come back in town?

Keep us updated! Hugs!

Old 06-25-2008, 02:35 PM   #8
(female)

denise7172 HB User

Hi Pickle, Yes she took both ovaries. She took EVERYTHING! I am having alot of hot flashes and night sweats. I'm actually having a hot flash as I type this! My Dr put me on Prempro before I left the hospital. It doesnt seem to be doing that much as far as the hot flashes go, maybe I need to give it more time? She told me to give it another 4 weeks and that when I go back to see her then, if it isnt working we can change. She said she wanted to keep me on a low dose because of my age, I'm 35 and also to keep the endo from coming back, sadly, it can grow back even without female organs....
I do miss my hubby terribly , he was such a big help when he was here. He should be back home for good in mid August, I'm praying for that! My girls do help as much as they can, bless them!
Thank you for checking back with me, I really appreciate that! I'll keep hanging in there and hopefully get better with everyday. Take care!!

Old 06-25-2008, 06:35 PM   #9
Senior Veteran
(female)

It's good to hear back from you, Denise. You know, a positive attitude takes you a long way toward good recovery . . . so it sounds like you have a good start! (((hugs)))

Closed Thread