It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Hysterectomy Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-17-2008, 07:22 PM   #1
(male)

gusferguson HB User
Question Hysterectomy Complications involving abdominal mesh from previous reconstruction

My wife had a hysterectomy two weeks ago, and after what seemed to be a great result and recovery, she hit the wall at 1 week into recovery. She has been in the hospital for 5 days, now. Vomiting, fever, nausea and abdominal pain and swelling, away from the surgical area, in the upper abdomen, and it seems that her bowel function ceased, or was greatly compromised. She had breast reconstruction surgery in 1995, after a mastectomy for breast cancer, and now has mesh in her abdomen as a result. The hysterectomy was abdominal, and it avoided any involvement with the mesh or previous surgery site.
She has started to slowly recover now, but no real diagnosis has been given, other than perhaps her bowels stopped functioning as a result of the surgery trauma. She still has unexplained fluid in her abdomen (after a CT Scan determined no nick or damage to the bowel) and the bowel function seems to have returned after 4 days of a clear liquid diet, iv antibiotics and bed rest. Could the fluid and bowel trouble be a result of the mesh restriction of the natural post-surgical swelling? Has anyone else experienced similar problems. Any advice or suggestions would be greatly appreciated - A concerned husband

Old 07-18-2008, 06:25 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Pickle Eyes HB UserPickle Eyes HB UserPickle Eyes HB User
Re: Hysterectomy Complications involving abdominal mesh from previous reconstruction

I don't know, Gus! I'm sorry she is having such a difficult time. I hope her doctors are able to figure out the problem and help her heal quickly! Your wife is in my prayers. Please write back and let us know how she does.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-18-2008, 01:54 PM   #3
(female)

Triple777 HB User
Re: Hysterectomy Complications involving abdominal mesh from previous reconstruction

Gus, even though a CT scan didn't show any perforation in the bowel, that doesn't necessarily mean that wasn't the problem. The fact that her bowel wasn't working and there was fluid in her abdominal area would make it a good possibility. Plus the vomiting, fever and nausea could also point to that. If I was you I would get a copy of your wife's medical records and maybe that might shed more light. I hope she is doing better. Good luck!

Closed Thread