It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Hysterectomy Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-03-2008, 11:05 AM   #1
(female)

puddlescat HB User
What to Expect Post Op?

Hi everyone. I'm due to have my hysterectomy on the 14th. I went for my pre-op yesterday and we discussed the operation and I was told I would be in hospital for about 3 days with a catheter and drip for 2 days.

After reading some of the threads on this board I'm getting quite concerned. I wasn't really told about what to expect afterwards apart from what I've just written. I didn't know about the bleeding some of you have mentioned (where does this come from if the uterus has been taken away?). Is there anything else I should be aware of and prepared for?

PS Pickles, you asked if I was having laparascopic on my last post. My hospital call it keyhole but i'm pretty sure it's the same thing.

Old 08-03-2008, 12:40 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Pickle Eyes HB UserPickle Eyes HB UserPickle Eyes HB User
Re: What to Expect Post Op?

Ok, from what I've read the keyhole hyst is the same as the LAVH (laparoscopically assisted vaginal hyst). The doctor makes several (I have 3) holes in the abdomen: one in the belly button and 2 elsewhere. The doctor inserts tools through those holes. One is a camera, the others are various tools. This allows the doctor to see (through the belly button hole) and cut loose the vessels, muscles, etc that are attached to the uterus. The Uterus is then delivered through the vagina.

I went in on a Wednesday and came home Friday afternoon. I had a catheter until midday Thursday and an IV until Friday morning some time. For Thursday and Friday my pain was between a 4 and 7 (on a 1-10 scale, 10= extreme pain). It was controlled by meds through my IV.

I think my initial bleeding was actually just left over blood from when they did the hyst. I wore a pad for 1 day and the blood flow didn't increase. After that, I had very, very, VERY light discharge. It was enough for me to wear a panty liner, but nothing heavy. I believe that bleeding/discharge is from the vaginal cuff.

After the doctor removes the uterus (or uterus and cervix) the doctor sews up the end of the vagina. My friend referrs to it as a "sausage casing". LOL Anyway, I think the oozing comes from that area healing.

I hope that helps.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-13-2008, 07:48 PM   #3
(female)

AmyW HB User

I think the other poster gave you some great information. I just wanted to wish you the best of luck!

Old 08-14-2008, 12:59 PM   #4
(female)

puddlescat HB User

Hi All. Many thanks for your replies. The op was meant to be today and I was all ready to go down to theatre, bloods done, in gown, all forms signed etc when they decided that they couldn't do it today because I am sensitive to Latex and they wanted to test me to make sure it is just a sensitivity not an allergy After all that being worked up and getting stuff organised.
I have a new date of 9th Sept. I also talked to the doctor and we decided I will keep my ovaries after all, so thank you again for your info - that was what helped me decide.
Best wishes, Karen.

Old 08-14-2008, 01:03 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

Pickle Eyes HB UserPickle Eyes HB UserPickle Eyes HB User

Aaargh!! I would be so frustrated!

Why couldn't they just proceed as if you are latex allergic just to be cautious?

I have been developing latex sensitivity over the last 5 or 10 years. At my postop appointment, I told the doctor about blistering that happened when I used a latex bandaid and she said she was going to write Latex ALLERGY on my records to be on the safe side. She also advised me to just tell doctors/nurses/pharmacists, etc in the future that I have an allergy.

Anyway, I hope you are doing ok!

Old 08-20-2008, 01:04 AM   #6
(female)

sarah2773 HB User

Hi! I'm so sorry to hear they changed your surgery date; I know how you must be anxious to just get it over with. I had a LAVH last March because I was having severe ovulation and menstrual pain for 2 weeks/month and I had ovarian cysts. I had a total hysterectomy, ovaries and all. I was terrified of having major surgery and was nervous about making the right decision about having this surgery (I'm only 35 yrs old). But the surgery went really well...in fact, I only spent one night in the hospital and I was doing laps around the nurse's station by the next day! The pain wasn't near as bad as I feared; in fact, I went back to work full-time after only 2 weeks! And I've never regretted my decision because I have no more pain at all. All I have now are the hot flashes, but they're so much better than the pain, I don't care. I can't take any hormones because I developed a blood clot in the past, but I'm really doing fine without them. Anyway, don't worry, the surgery's not bad at all and you'll be up and going in no time. Hang in there!

Closed Thread