It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Hysterectomy Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-07-2008, 06:55 PM   #1
(female)

TSS3 HB User
Question CA-125 test before hysterectomy?

Has anyone had the CA-125 test prior that may have been the deciding factor on doing a hysterectomy? Though it is a marker for ovarian cancer, sometimes it is unreliable and many women don't get it as it creates alot of anxiety...I can tell you first hand. On the other hand, it could be right. There are many reasons as to why the test can be elevated. I have firbroids, recently had a complex ovarian cyst that disappeared and my uterus is 14 weeks. I have been trying to put this off till menopause but it's not coming anytime soon, I'm 52 with a very high estrogen level still. Recently, my CA test 3 times came back elevated, next week I'll have another and if it is elevated, I don't think doc will mess around. I don't really feel that bad with the exception of some extra pain before and after my period. I was just wondering if anyone else has had the test or the series done?? It's really scary. I was told at last ultrasound that my ovaries are very healthy. So it must be the adenomyosis causing some pelvic pain. I think I've made the decision that I need to get this overwith.

Let me know if anyone has had this test and your overall experience. The number alone may be the deciding factor and I don't know if I should make a decision just on that right now. But with my age, doc doesn't think I'll make it to menopause to shrink those babies.

Thanks for your support.

-K

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-08-2008, 05:23 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Pickle Eyes HB UserPickle Eyes HB UserPickle Eyes HB User
Re: CA-125 test before hysterectomy?

Hi K, you still sound a bit undecided. Have you sought a second opinon? If not, I suggest you do.

Old 11-09-2008, 06:05 AM   #3
(male)

randyk47 HB User

My wife had a CA-125 test before her hysterectomy but it wasn't a deciding factor. There was some confusion over her mother's cause of death and it mistakenly got written down as ovarian cancer. This scared my wife and her sister and they both immediately when out and got tested. It just turned out that it was about the same time my wife was going through the initial steps of getting a hysterectomy or not. The test can back negative, her mother's cause of death was changed to breast cancer, and my wife had a partial hysterectomy leaving her ovaries.

Old 11-10-2008, 07:56 AM   #4
(female)

TSS3 HB User

Thanks, Randy K. It is a tough decision. I personally think it's the fibroids wreaking havoc on everything including the CA number. But the elevation definitely has been a cause for anxiety. I'm having another one tomorrow (different timing) and more tests next week. I may see an gyn/onc if the next test is high. My ovaries were healthy 4 months ago but prone to cysts.

Thanks for sharing your story about your wife and family.

Old 11-10-2008, 11:01 AM   #5
(male)

randyk47 HB User

I don't want to ever go through that whole process again. It was, without doubt, the most stressful time of my life. Once it was over and everything turned out so well, pretty much perfect actually, we could sit back and "laugh" a bit at how stressed we got but our mutual support, support of friends, and a couple of really good doctors got us through it. In retrospect it was the best thing for my wife's health and quality of life. Best wishes to you and prayers for the best outcome for you.

Last edited by randyk47; 11-10-2008 at 11:02 AM.

Old 11-11-2008, 02:50 PM   #6
(female)

TSS3 HB User

Thank you. All prayers are appreciated. I know I will feel better when it's over with, it's just scary not knowing.

Closed Thread