It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Hysterectomy Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-12-2009, 07:38 PM   #1
(female)

Liticia37 HB User
why is my stomach so huge after my hysterectomy

why is my stomach so huge after my hysterectomy

Old 01-13-2009, 06:49 AM   #2
(female)

scarolinagirl HB User
Re: why is my stomach so huge after my hysterectomy

How long ago did you have your hysterectomy? I remember mine being swollen for about 4 months after surgery. They call it swelly belly. It does go away with time.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-13-2009, 10:33 AM   #3
(female)

sandra0315 HB User

Hi everyone. I am 6 days post op from a Lap hysterectomy. Got to keep my ovaries and I was happy about that. I stayed in the hospital for one night and though it was abit painful, it has been all worth it. My belly had been swollen for about 3 days and now it looks smaller than before I went in. I think it just depends on the person. I had a very large uterus felt as though I was 5 months pregnant, so this has made a big difference in the size of my belly too. It does get better everyday. Take care.

Old 01-13-2009, 04:53 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

Pickle Eyes HB UserPickle Eyes HB UserPickle Eyes HB User

Your abdomen is swollen because you have had a large organ removed from your abdomen. The body's natural response to cuts is to send blood to the area. This usually causes some swelling. The swelling will go down eventually.

Compression helps (perhaps wearing bike shorts under your dress or slacks if you can handle it) and so does heat or ice. You need to check with your doctor first before using compression, ice, or heat.

I hope you are doing ok otherwise!

Old 01-13-2009, 06:47 PM   #5
(female)

gbtwinmom HB User

Last edited by gbtwinmom; 08-06-2009 at 10:49 AM.

Old 01-14-2009, 04:55 PM   #6
(female)

sandra0315 HB User

Its been almost a week post op now and the belly has been going down a bit too, but I have been so tired especially in the morning. Has anyone else felt like this? I have been taking my vitamins, I also feel "air headed" (if that makes any sense) in the morning and it takes me awhile to adjust. I still usually at night have to take a pain killer, still alittle sore inside too, but I only take IBprofin during the day. So far its been not as bad as I had thought it would be. Thanks for all the info, it really has helped. Hope you are feeling better too!

Old 01-14-2009, 05:46 PM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

Pickle Eyes HB UserPickle Eyes HB UserPickle Eyes HB User

I felt dingy for a month or so, good thing I was on summer vacation and didn't have to work! I also took pain pills, usually at night for almost 10 days. I probably could have gotten off of it and taken just OTB meds at about 7 days, but I was afraid of getting behind the pain.

I'm glad you are feeling pretty good otherwise!

Closed Thread