It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Hysterectomy Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-15-2009, 08:29 AM   #1
(female)

kmann92 HB User
Smile Total vaginal Hysterectomy yesterday my experience

Hi, For anyone preparing for vaginal hysterectomy I thought I would write on my experience so far. I am 34 years old with 4 children.

I am having hysterectomy due to adenomyosis. Have had sever cramping, bleeding, swelling and diarhea or constipation off and on for years. Even after Endometrial ablation 5 years ago.

On January 7th I went in for pre-op appt. where my blood work was done. Blood was typed for surgery and vitals taken and I visited with the anethesiologist. Surgery was scheduled for January 14th at 10:40a.m. January 13th I ate light all day. I prepared my bag for hospital. Toiletries, pads, books, mp3 player cell phone and list of questions for the doc. Stopped eating and drinkng at midnight. At 6:30a.m. of the 14th I awoke and prepared for the enema I was to give myself before leaving. This was docs order and first one I have ever done. Not so much fun. The enema did not take long but was late getting in shower due to not being able to get off toilet!! Allow yourself at least 40 minutes of restroom time if thThey request an enema. Anyway quick shower and I left my house a 8a.m for hospital. Arrived at 8:30 where I was quickly checked in and taken back to surgery unit. I got a great little hospital gown and they started my IV. Shortley afterwards they begin giving my cocktail to control the nausea I might experience for anethisia. Have always woke up sick in past surgeries!!! They surgery time was running behind. The anetheisologist visited me again and explained that they were going to give me more anti nausea meds and felt that I would wake up with no nausea.

My doc came in and explained that they were going to try to do entire surgery vaginally and expected all to go well. While I was talking with her they gave me something to relax. next thing I know I am in the surgery room and they were strapping my arms to the boards and said good night!

I woke in recovery with no nausea but overwhelming amount of pain. They asked me to rate pain on scale of 1 to 10. Then asked if I was nausetaed of dizzy. Much to my surprise I was not dizzy or nauseated. After allowing me to rest for awhile they wheeled me off to my room where I was greeted by my husband and dad. I was still in alot of pain. They rotated pain meds form being placed in my IV to shots in my legs.

Around 7p.m., I was becoming more coherent and they told me I could go home when I could get up on my own, eat without feeling nauseated and switch to oral meds. I was not hungry but forced down turkey sandwich, Drank a pitcher of water and started trips to bathroom on my own. I switche dot the oral meds although they did not control the pain as well. They released me at midnight. Sleep is hard to come by due to pain and discomfort. However, pan right now is no worse than a normal bad day for me. I am taking Vicadin and Ibuprofen to control the pain. Still not hungry but drinking meal replacement drinks to keep strength up.

I am using nothing more than panty liners for bleeding. Bleeding is sparadic and not heavy.

post op instructions for me: NO sex, douching or tampons for 6 weeks. No work from 2 to 6 weeks depending on recovery. No lifting, pushing or pulling. Baths ok hottubs are not. I can sit in Suana or steam room as tolereated. Overall not to bad.

Let me know if you have any questions or similar experience. Good luck to all of you!! God Speed in your recovery!!!

Last edited by kmann92; 01-20-2009 at 08:07 PM. Reason: better explanation

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-15-2009, 04:43 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Pickle Eyes HB UserPickle Eyes HB UserPickle Eyes HB User
Re: Total vaginal Hysterectomy yesterday

It sounds like your surgery went well. Yay! Now, you just need to rest and take it easy. Your body only gets one chance to heal.

I'm wondering why you didn't stay in the hospital overnight, especially since the oral meds weren't controlling the pain. I had an LAVH and was preapproved for 3 nights in the hospital. I stayed 2 and was chompin' at the bit to get out of there. I slept sooooo much better at home, but my pain wasn't under control until about 8 or 10 hours before I was released.

It always amazes me at how different post-op (or even pre-op) instructions are from doctor to doctor. I was told (and have heard from many other women) that they can't have anything in the vagina for anything from 2-6+ weeks. I've read no baths (or hot tubs) for the same length of time. I'm a little surprised to read that you are allowed a bath so soon. Personally, I waited 2.5 months. I was just too afraid of anything from the tub getting up into my newly closed off vagina! I probably could have taken it at 6 weeks, though.

Anyway, rest, take it easy, and allow yourself to be pampered!

Old 01-15-2009, 10:26 PM   #3
(female)

magpie1970 HB User

I had my TVH in early July and stayed overnight in the hospital. The doc even said that I could stay another night if I wanted--she knew that I had my hands full with a 4-1/2 yr, 2yr and 11 month old--but I opted to go home the following morning.

Give yoursself time to heal. I would forget that I had surgery because I had no outer scar, so take it easy.

Old 01-15-2009, 11:38 PM   #4
(female)

gr8mama HB User

hello kmann92, I am wondering if with your adenomyosis if the pain you had not only came with your period but also everyday. I am 25 and found out last week that I have endo. and my dr. thinks a hysterectomy would be the best choice for me. I am having pain, and tugging sensations whenever I move quikly. I was wondering if this was your case. I am happy to here that you are doing well. It must have been hard to make the choice for this surgery being so young. please let me know what life was like with endo. for you I still have so many quiestions.

Old 01-16-2009, 07:23 AM   #5
(female)

kmann92 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by gr8mama View Post
hello kmann92, I am wondering if with your adenomyosis if the pain you had not only came with your period but also everyday. I am 25 and found out last week that I have endo. and my dr. thinks a hysterectomy would be the best choice for me. I am having pain, and tugging sensations whenever I move quikly. I was wondering if this was your case. I am happy to here that you are doing well. It must have been hard to make the choice for this surgery being so young. please let me know what life was like with endo. for you I still have so many quiestions.
Yes, I was haing daily pain. My stomach would swell to the size it was at 6 months pregnant. For me, the decision to have the hysterectomy was an easy one. I have 4 children. 2 biological and 2 adopted. The younges is 11. I had days where I hurt so bad I thought I was giving birth even when I was not on my period. I had an endomerial ablation 5 years ago and a tubal ligation after my son 13 years ago due to althe complications of both pregnancies. I haver been dealing with the pain and severe periods since age 14. I truly believe this was the right choice for me. Please feel free to ask any questions you may have. All I have is time right now!!!!!

Old 01-16-2009, 07:33 AM   #6
(female)

kmann92 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pickle Eyes View Post
It sounds like your surgery went well. Yay! Now, you just need to rest and take it easy. Your body only gets one chance to heal.

I'm wondering why you didn't stay in the hospital overnight, especially since the oral meds weren't controlling the pain. I had an LAVH and was preapproved for 3 nights in the hospital. I stayed 2 and was chompin' at the bit to get out of there. I slept sooooo much better at home, but my pain wasn't under control until about 8 or 10 hours before I was released.

It always amazes me at how different post-op (or even pre-op) instructions are from doctor to doctor. I was told (and have heard from many other women) that they can't have anything in the vagina for anything from 2-6+ weeks. I've read no baths (or hot tubs) for the same length of time. I'm a little surprised to read that you are allowed a bath so soon. Personally, I waited 2.5 months. I was just too afraid of anything from the tub getting up into my newly closed off vagina! I probably could have taken it at 6 weeks, though.

Anyway, rest, take it easy, and allow yourself to be pampered!
Pickle eyes,

I was approved for overnight in the hospital. I talked with my doctor prior to surgery. I have never really had a good experience in the hospital. I have 3 teenagers and a pre-teen at home as well as a very supporting husband. My doctor knew that I wanted to be released asap. My husband had prepared my room as well as the couch complete with body pillow, candles, heating pad, laptop, meds, remotes and such to make things as easy as possible. The doctor told me if I chose to stay she would see me the morning after and if I chose to go she would call. I have had to take my temp and record it and take it slow but it was actually my choice to leave. I will admit I should have stayed to control the pain a little better but now almost 48 hours post op the only pain I have is from getting constipated. I have taken some dulcolax and praying that works.... Any ideas or things that worked for you?? I was surprised about the bath thing to but honestly the time I feel best is standing in the shower. Have not tried the bath thing yet and will probably give that a couple weeks. The Doc said that the vagina actually heals quicker than the 6 weeks but at six weeks the vagina is stronger and better able to handle the sex. Its nice to hear from other with similar experiences witch is why I chose to post my experience here. I found the board looking for info before my surgery!!! Thanks for posting and again, if you found something that helped with the constipation I would love to know! I have taken dulcolax last night and this morning and increased fiber intake. Other than that? neither has worked so far!!!

Old 01-16-2009, 07:46 AM   #7
(female)

kmann92 HB User

Day 2 post op from vaginal hysterectomy. I must say that today is better than yesterday. I actually slept last night. I took pain meds at 11p.m. I actually slept until 3:30a.m. I was pleasantly surprised that I awoke because my dog wanted to go outside not because I was in pain. I laid back down and fell asleep without any medication to help!!! I then awoke a 7 and realized the pain had caught up with me. I took 1/2 dose of pain meds and a shower and feel pretty good. I have some pain in my lower back which I am quite certain is the constipation setting in. I took some dulcolax last nite and again this morning. I know the first bowel movement is not going to be fun. I started moving the gas around last night and it was slightly painful although not as bad as I thought. Still getting lots of rest. I do get up and walk around a little bit every once in a while which I was told to do so by doctor. Otherwise I let the husband and kids do the cooking, cleaning and they even fix my plates for me! Its kinda nice to be pampered a little!! The best feeling ever is standing isn the shower and letting the water run over me. Takes a little motivation to get in but then I dont want to get out!!! I will keep you posted as the days go on! If you have any questions please feel free to post. I will try to answer them soom. WE are all different and each experience is different but I think it helps to arm ourselves with as much infor as possible before we go into these major challenges in our lives!!

Old 01-16-2009, 07:57 AM   #8
(female)

kmann92 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by magpie1970 View Post
I had my TVH in early July and stayed overnight in the hospital. The doc even said that I could stay another night if I wanted--she knew that I had my hands full with a 4-1/2 yr, 2yr and 11 month old--but I opted to go home the following morning.

Give yoursself time to heal. I would forget that I had surgery because I had no outer scar, so take it easy.

I think if I were in your situation I would have opted to stay. Having older children and help at home I was anxious to get home where I could relax and not have people poking at me all night. Your right about the scar thing as well. It is easy to forget you just had major surgery since you have not outer sign of it. Although when I start moving around I quickly remember! I plan to take it fairly easy for the next couple of weeks. The doctor thinks after 3 weeks I may return to work. Right now we have family and friends bringing dinner and kids are in school all day. My husband works nights and sleeps all day so it is fairly quiet and relaxing here! I hope that all has gone well in your recovery!! And any advice on constipation would be helpful! Thanks! Have a wonderful day!!

Old 01-16-2009, 06:43 PM   #9
Senior Veteran
(female)

For constipation, be careful with the increase in fiber. Make sure you are drinking PLENTY of water (not sodas), you want the water to help move that fiber along or it will compound (literally) your problem. :yikes!:

You can always try prune juice. It sounds horrid, but it really isn't bad at all. I usually drank mine cut with some water or with some 7up. That was actually pretty yummy!

It sounds like you are doing really well. Yay!! I'm also glad to hear that your family is doing such a good job of pampering you!

Old 01-16-2009, 07:56 PM   #10
(female)

Nona33 HB User

I found it humorous they told you to avoid tampons, obviously.
I keep reading that, your body only has one chance to heal. What happens if you don't? Say if you exerted yourself for some reason?
If I ever do this, I am out of luck as we only have a bath and not a shower.
And do you get some sort of hormones because of surgical hysterectomy.

Old 01-16-2009, 08:51 PM   #11
Senior Veteran
(female)

What happens if you over exert yourself? From what I understand, you can form adhesions (or worse adhesions) in your abdomen which can cause various pains, and problems later on down the road. Adhesions are thick fiborous tissue which connect organs to other organs which makes it difficult for the organs to move the way they should within the abdominal cavity.

Old 01-17-2009, 08:01 AM   #12
(female)

kmann92 HB User

Day 3, Post op Vaginal Hysterectomy. Well, last night was rough. The Dulcolax and fiber kicked in and was not pleasant. Slept off and on last night and feeling better this morning. Pain is controlled by Ibuprofen. Still better than before surgery where I was in constant pain and swelling is better than prior to surgery. Day is pretty uneventful. Kids have ball games. So, My oldest daughter is staying home and watching movies with me today. Have slight discharge today no bleeding to speak of. Feel weak and tired but taking it easy helps!

Old 01-17-2009, 09:23 AM   #13
Senior Veteran
(female)

kmann, I remember the first couple of BMs I had. Ooooh! So I sympathize! It *does* get better. I had discharge for a week or 2, nothing that really needed a pad (not even a panty liner) but it was enough to know that things were still healing in there and that I needed to be extra careful.

Once that oozing (for lack of a better word) stopped, it was somewhat difficult to determine the extent of my internal healing. I felt I was further healed that I really was. So I over did it a few days, until I just decided I had to sit back and chill out - even if I "looked" like and pretty much acted like I was ok.

Enjoy your movies and time with your daughter!

Old 01-18-2009, 10:56 AM   #14
(female)

kmann92 HB User

Day 4 after total vaginal hysterectomy! Well each day is a little better. Last night I ran a very low grade temp and was very tired. Got fed up with being on the couch so I went with my husband to the store a few blocks away. We were in the store for about 10 minutes. I actually enjoyed walking somewhere besides my house!!! When I got home I curled back up on the couch and slept better than I have in months! I only woke once during the night and was able to fall right back to sleep. The bowels are working normally again thank goodness!!! My appetite has returned and I am getting restless. There has been no bleeding for two days. The clear dicharge is dwindling! I may be human again before long. Each day is better than the day before. I am still sore but nothing Ibuprofen can't handle! The belly swelling is going down and I actually got up and did my hair after my shower today. Wow! Hopefully tomorrow is even better!

Old 01-18-2009, 11:06 AM   #15
(female)

Nona33 HB User

Thanks for keeping us updated like this. If we face this in the future, we'll have a better idea of what to expect.

Closed Thread