It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Hysterectomy Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-20-2009, 07:06 PM   #1
(female)

Lbrown63 HB User
Smile Full radical hysterectomy, back to work in 2 weeks?

I am new and scheduled for a full radical hysterectomy. My question is, do you think that I may be able to go back to work in 2 weeks? My doc said 3-4 weeks, due to possible bleeding out. Also, how much can I do after a week of rest? Do you think I will be able to do laundry and things of that nature? I am a caregiver and work with a half paralyzed 84 yr old , 300 lbs, 6'-4" man. I do more respite care. But I do alot of bending to remove his foot rests and the shower stall is small so I am constantly dodging his feet. But I think I can do it. What would your suggestion be? And if anyone can give me anymore advice please do so.
One more quick question, "hormones", what am I to expect? and will sex be different?

I just need "input"...not sure of what to expect. I did watch the PACE film though.
Any advice or past experiences that will help will be appreciated.

Last edited by Mod-S4; 01-21-2009 at 09:45 AM. Reason: Please start new threads for your own questions. Reference to other thread deleted. Thanks.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-20-2009, 07:20 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Pickle Eyes HB UserPickle Eyes HB UserPickle Eyes HB User
Re: Total vaginal Hysterectomy yesterday

Hi Lbrown! How is your doctor planning to do your surgery?

Women who get an abdominal cut take the longest to heal (generally speaking) because of the large incision through the skin, muscles, etc.
Then I'd say that women who have LAVH or VH come in next.
Then, women who have Lap or DaVinci.

I had an LAVH and I didn't drive until 2 weeks post-op and I struggled with bending, even momentarily at 3 weeks. I ended up buying one of those grabby-arm thingies (a GrabIt, I think they're called). I didn't lift a laundry basket (even half full) for 3 weeks. I didn't carry more than 5-7 pounds (just more than a gallon of milk) at one time for more than 5 weeks (per my gyn/onc's directions).

It would have been easy to overdo it and just put up with the little bit of pain, discomfort, discharge, BUT, I knew my body only had one chance to heal. I wanted as few adhesions as possible after the hyst, so I took it pretty easy.

I didn't have my ovaries removed, and I am not on hormone therapy.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-20-2009, 09:00 PM   #3
(female)

kmann92 HB User

LBrown,

First of all I am glad these posts have been helpful. I had hoped to help those that are preparing for hysterectomy and are as scared as I was. I had a vaginal. They took the uterus and cervix but thankfully the ovaries looked good and they left them. I did drive yesterday but only a few blocks. I am now 6 days post op and while I have been taking showers, doing my hair and finally my make up today, I will tell you Iam still taking it very easy. I put on jeans and sweater with intention of going to my oldest sons basketball game today. I did not make it. Belly was very tender in jeans so after about an hour I changed back into my sweats. I am not a patient person and ready to get back to life but find myself exhausted after simple tasks. The thing that hurts worse as pickle eyes has stated is bending over. I would say that if you have a vaginal then in 3 to 4 weeks you could possibly return to work but may still have restrictions! Bending over hurts and I still have not lifted a laundry basket at all. I did make my bed and picked up my bedroom with some light dusting. That wasnt bad but after an hour I was tired and sat back down to rest. Each day is better than the last and I know soon I will be back tonormal. I dont go back to follow-up appt until next week and she will determine a release date then. As far as the sex part, I am wondering myself about that and will post as soon as I know. The desire and drive are still there but obviously Im not doing anything about it right now. I would say after a week of rest you will be able to do very light house work. Ride in a car. get out of the house for short periods of time but you will NOT be healed. Take it easy and heal right! I know how hard it is but I know I only get one shot at this!!!!

Old 01-21-2009, 03:48 AM   #4
(female)

Lbrown63 HB User

KMann & Pickle Eyes
Thank you so much for your input. Whew! It looks like 2 weeks is NOT going to be enough for me. Good to know ahead of time. And because I have a history of breast cancer, they are going to take out everything, doc said a Radical Hysterectomy. She did say that the procedure would be done with a Lap. So will healing be faster? or I suppose it would about all the same and depending on the individual. But you are right. This is my 5th major surgery and I am scared. I have 2 grandchildren I care for also (ages 2 and & 4). I'm just praying my husband can handle what I do. Hehehe I dont think he can, but him trying is enough for me. Thank you again ladies and May God Bless you and restoreth your health soon!

Old 01-21-2009, 07:57 AM   #5
(female)

kmann92 HB User

LBrown63,
The healing with vaginal and scope is very similar. And you are so right. Everyone recovers at a different rate. Sounds like you have your hands full. I hope all goes well for you and to a speedy recovery!! Good luck and best wishes!!

Old 01-21-2009, 05:23 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

Pickle Eyes HB UserPickle Eyes HB UserPickle Eyes HB User

Yep, lap and vaginal (and robotic) heal faster than abdominal cuts. I think it takes longer to heal when a radical hyst is done vs a total (cervix and uterus only). The radical removes the uterus, cervix, ovaries, tubes, and the fatty tissue (omen?) that surrounds those organs.

Thank you for the blessing for health! You too!

Closed Thread