It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Hysterectomy Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-01-2009, 12:31 PM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

hopetofeelwell1 HB User
11 yrs post-hysterectomy--still having menopause symptoms??

Hi all! I know I'm probably asking the stupidest question in the world, but I have to anyway. The question is: I had a hysterectomy in April of 1997 at age 40. Just prior to that I began to have mood swings that drove me bonkers. After the surgery and the usual routine of HRT products, my moods never really staightened out along with the dry skin, weight gain, etc. Could I still be having these issues almost 12 years later? Has anyone had a similar problem? I've tried every mood stabilizer out there and all I get is a bunch of horrible side effects. If anyone has gone through a similar problem, please drop a line. Thanks so much--Hopeto--

Old 02-01-2009, 03:01 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

I C Hot HB User
Re: 11 yrs post-hysterectomy--still having menopause symptoms??

Hi hopetofeelwell1, Yes is the answer. I had a hysterectomy in April 1998 and I still am having these issues. I have tried the HRT on and off and am currently backed way off mine but the moodiness always returns when I go completely off it. It is nice to know when you are not alone but sure hate that anyone else is having to go thru this. Take care,
Julie

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-01-2009, 03:27 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

AnnD HB UserAnnD HB User

I had hysterectomy when i was in my late 20's but one ovary was left but eventually you still go into menopause and that was 12 years ago and my symptoms are as bad then as they are now. There isn't anything I didn't do or haven't tried to alleviate symptoms but I always go back to Premarin for relief. I don't see any improvement over the years. I just finished 8 months without Premarin and I can't describe how miserable I was. Good luck to you.

Old 02-01-2009, 04:10 PM   #4
(female)

diane777 HB User

Oh no. I'm in my 6th year of that stuff and hoping it would end soon, but I don't think it will since you women are on 12 years. In the book I'm reading -- can we mention books here? -- Christianne Northrup's book on menopause -- she said menopausal symptoms can last anywhere from 6 to 13 years. So I hope it's over soon for those of you on 12 years post! Please let me know there's a light at the end of this tunnel. Actually, there is. A woman at work had it for over 10 years and now says she needs a sweater because she's cold and doesn't have the hot flashes anymore. I hang my hope on that.

I have to add one thing that really helped me the most, but it's not easy. It's following ayurvedic rules. Nothing spicy, hot, sour, or salty. Not easy! I ate mostly all bitter and sweet for that whole week -- NO hot flashes and NO mood swings. There's a long list of foods in those 2 categories but it gets rough when you have to stick to it and need to buy your lunch out during the week. But it worked. Bitter is dark green veggies, sweet is alot of the fruits (but not all). Berries are very good. Coconuts, pineapple, and carrots are on the list. It really works and I felt great and SANE.

Old 02-01-2009, 05:30 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

I C Hot HB User

AnnD, I'm with you, I have always ran back to Premarin. I went just about 1 year without and it was awful. I sure wish there was a OTC that would help.
Julie

Old 02-01-2009, 07:20 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

hopetofeelwell1 HB User

Hi IC and gang! THANK YOU SO MUCH FOR MAKING ME FEEL THAT I'M NOT TOTALLY CRAZY!!!! I have gone for years trying this med and that med and of course sometimes depending on what doctor you go to they'll tell you "Oh, you're all over that by now". I had an original diagnosis of depression and anxiety and now they're telling me since 1996 that I'm bipolar. That's funny---just before the hysterectomy I started with the mood swings that begun when Hell was created. I didn't have mood swings(at least I think I didn't have them) prior to this. I've been on Prozac(low dose) and if that is what mania is, I don't want it. Luckily, I have a good therapist who listens to me and I will bring this up to her this week. Thanks so much all & god bless--Hopeto--

Closed Thread