It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Hysterectomy Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-18-2009, 04:14 AM   #1
(female)

chloe71 HB User
Smile 2 weeks post op, very tearful

Good morning ladies........Im 37 and 13 days post op, just found this site and its lifted my spirits already reading about everyones experiences. I had a TAH BSO vaginally after years of suffering from severe endo. However, today I am feeling very tearful. I am due to see my doc tom as I wanted to discuss HRT...I decided yesterday not to continue with it until I am more informed. Does anyone have any advice they can give me please? I am still in quite some discomfort, worse in the mornings but trying to keep on top of the pain during the day. My tummy is still quite swollen but from what Ive read this is quite normal. Im learning to listen to my body and just rest but I may have to return to work next week and im feeling very anxious about it.... does anyone know when it is considered safe to drive?.... I hope you are all resting and recovering too...........

Old 02-18-2009, 07:53 AM   #2
(female)

gtts4u HB User
Re: 2 weeks post op, very tearful

Chloe71,
Sorry your not feeling well. My doc said no driving the first 2 weeks and then only when I felt comfortable enough that I could move (twist) with no pain or discomfort. I started driving shortly after 2 weeks but it was probably a little too soon.
As for HRT, everyone has an opinion. I was dx'd with premature menopause at 38, and the 5 doctors that I saw, all had something different to say about it. Then after my hysterectomy (41) my current doc didn't want to put me back on HRT because his thought was that I had already gone thru menopause. I am back on it now and feel so much better.
All I can say is research and make a decision on whether it is right for you. There are numerous types and not all types might be right. Sometimes, it takes trying some out, maybe making changes, etc. I tried 3 kinds before I found what worked for me.
Now, here is my personal opinion on HRT.
Most of the studies done on women on HRT are done on women age 50-79 (normal menopausal age) and they are usually taking Premerin or Prempro. That is a synthetic estrogen which is made from pregnant horse urine. I feel as a younger women, I am to young to be without hormones and life is to short to live miserably. I am just replacing the hormones that my body would normally produce, much like a person taking thyroid meds. Hormones can effect so much more than just your reproductive system. There are several brand bio-identical hormones on the market. It is not neccessary to use a compounding lab (like on Oprah). I use a patch, which theoretically, bypassess the liver and has less side effects. For me, it provides a steady release of Estrogen which controls my migraines. At age 50, I will reconsider my HRT which is the age most women start menopause.Hope this helps and that you feel better soon! Keep us posted.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-18-2009, 08:27 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

Pickle Eyes HB UserPickle Eyes HB UserPickle Eyes HB User

I Chloe, I don't have any advice regarding HRT, since I am not on it. All I can suggest is write up your questions (and concerns) and leave space to write the answers.

Let us know how the appointment goes tomorrow!

Old 02-19-2009, 04:33 AM   #4
(female)

chloe71 HB User

Hi,
Thankyou for your replies, its great to know that us girls can provide a support network!
Been to the docs this morn, I had such a terrible night sleep and my bleeding has gotten worse, not better! Have an awful headache that I just cant seem to shake off. Ive also been having probs with going to the loo, and subsequenly have some small tears which are painful. Doc given me a thorough once over, and this is the outcome....Ive been advised I must continue with the HRT (Im taking Kilofem) as due to my age its important that I keep up Eastrogen levels and have made a further apt to discuss this properly with my consultant...info from gtts4u was really helpful..thx! (will keep u posted). Ive not been keeping on top of the pain and this is so important, so ive returned from the chemist armed with tramadol, paracetamol, volterol, some fibogel and a lovely pack of suppositories to heal the tears....! I guess the best thing ive learned since having the op is to rest, rest, and rest...take all the advice given about taking the time to heal up properly.
I think I will try and stall going back to work for as long as I can as I know im just not ready to...health wise or emotionally.
When did you have your hyst, gtts4u? Thx for the post, Pickle eyes.
Have a good day everyone

Old 02-19-2009, 05:01 AM   #5
(female)

gtts4u HB User

Chloe,
I had my total abdominal hysterectomy 8 weeks ago. I haven't heard of Kilofem, I'll have to look it up.
Hang in there and do get some rest!
Gtts4u

Old 02-19-2009, 06:29 AM   #6
(female)

chloe71 HB User

Hi Gtts4u
Was there a 'magical point' at which you started to feel fairly normal again?
Kilofem is a combined Oestrogen and progesterone HRT and im really not sure why I need a combined, as I have had a TAH BSO?....
Take care
Chloe

Old 02-19-2009, 06:55 AM   #7
(female)

gtts4u HB User

I really didn't have many problems or pain but I would have to say somewhere around 5 weeks is when I started to feel really good. It's most likely because that is when I started back on the hormones.
Alot of women do take combination even after total and your right, you don't need the progesterone. If you are still having problems later, try asking for just estrogen.
Look up side effects of progesterone and see if you are having any of them.

Old 03-09-2009, 01:20 PM   #8
(female)

Elouise HB User

Hi. Sorry to hear that you are feeling weepy. I felt dreadful for the first 2 weeks as well. I cried at the slightest thing for the longest time ! One evening I started crying at 10pm and didnt stop until lunch time the following day!!

I havnt got advice to offer you, as much as experience.

I had a TAH 7 weeks ago. Initially, there were problems with my HRT medication because of a previous complicated medical history (2 x pulmonary embolisims during pregnancy) My doctor was adamant that I should not have HRT, whilst my consultant was adamant that I could !! My consultant went to the University Hospital to talk to the clinical lead in HRT and reported back to me with his findings. Although he already knew it was fine, he just wanted to put my mind at rest because my GP had made me feel uneasy about it. Simply, all the consultant was aiming to do was to put back into my body what my ovaries would have naturally created had they still been in. This took about 2 weeks to sort out. However, the second I slapped that patch on I never looked back. My stomach is still quite sore, but I have not felt this good in years - bring on the patches !!

Old 03-11-2009, 09:24 AM   #9
(female)

chloe71 HB User

Hi Elouise.. Its good to hear that you are doing so well after the op! You sound very positive :-) I am in such a muddle over the whole HRT thing. There is so much negativity, and I understand the whole thing about putting back what nature intended (im 37) but i am worrying about if its the 'right thing'! Ive read so many differnt thigs and now dont know where to turn. I spoke with my GP and she said it was essential and the reason for prog and Eostrogen combined HRT was because of the Endo I had.
It seems that many women are in favour of patches!
Are you lifting and back to normal now? Im 5 wks post op today and been back to work a week. Im still suffering pain and im sure that im doing too much but with 3 children and 2 dogs, and a job to hold down I just have to get stuck back in! Harsh reality of life I suppose!
Well thank you for the advice, you take care yourself
Chloe x

Old 05-18-2009, 06:37 AM   #10
(female)

Moonie46 HB User

Hi All, I'm 4 weeks post op - TAH and have just started on combined HRT as advised due to history of endometreosis. Very concerned about potential side effects of HRT incluidng weight gain. Chloe - I'm really surprised you are able to work so soon after your op - dont overdo things. I find I feel fine one minute and dreadful the next and I have tended to do more than I should round the house etc only to find it sets me back pain wise for the next day. I have been very tearful but expected that and all things considered, I've been really positive. Back to HRT.....why are patches considered better?

Closed Thread