It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Hysterectomy Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-11-2009, 06:02 PM   #1
(female)

glezer68 HB User
pains after total hysterectomy

It has almost been 3 weeks & now the pains are getting worse. My lower left side of my back constently hurts & my left leg tingles like its going numb. I also keep getting these sharp stabbing abdominal pain. Is this normal? I have talked to dr. & he claims that because he had to cut so much from the endemetrosis that my body is still adjusting but my back is killing me.

Old 03-28-2009, 10:11 PM   #2
(female)

titaniumgirl HB User
Re: pains after total hysterectomy

Quote:
Originally Posted by glezer68 View Post
It has almost been 3 weeks & now the pains are getting worse. My lower left side of my back constently hurts & my left leg tingles like its going numb. I also keep getting these sharp stabbing abdominal pain. Is this normal? I have talked to dr. & he claims that because he had to cut so much from the endemetrosis that my body is still adjusting but my back is killing me.
~*~*~*~*~*~~*

Glezer68,

I had a total hysterectomy done about 3 yrs ago, and I also had endemetrosis also. But mine had attached it self to my intestines to the wall of my stomach, I hurt really just a dull ache. It did hurt when I had to cough and do the breathing treatment to keep the fluid off my lungs. But I did not have the kind of pain that you are discribing. Now I have pain on my lower left side where the overies would be when I turn wrong it feels like some one stabbing me it makes me stop i can not move at all until the pain passes.
I hope it is scare tissue, I am a chicken I dont want to know if it is more endemetrosis but I have a feeling that it is.

I would tell your doctor about the pains not getting any better, keep a journal of what you are doing when the pains hit.
My right leg went numb and started tingling but that was because I had to have a disc removed, along with the bad tendons, and nerve endings that was damaged, and the ruined muscles. Now that pain hurt hips lower back down leg and I could not move when it started I ended up walking by holding the walls as a guide.

You are not picking anything up are you over the weight limit the doc gave you. if you have you could have pulled something. I would talk to him and if needed throw a fit until he/she listened to you. ask for a ultra sound to make sure everything is ok.

hope that helps
titaniumgirl

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-29-2009, 10:46 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

Pickle Eyes HB UserPickle Eyes HB UserPickle Eyes HB User

I had a total LAVH (uterus and cervix only) and I had strange pains off and on (sometimes more on than off) for a few months. When you think about it, everything in your abdomen is packed in there. They have to cut muscles, nerves, blood vessels, etc to remove the parts they removed. Then after the hyst, your body has to readjust where body parts are/will be. All of that moving around causes transient (hopefully) discomfort/pain.

Take medicine if you need to to make yourself more comfortable. Ask your doctor what types of stretches might be acceptable (I'd think at week 3 they still may not want you doing anything like that except maybe Kiegels). Keep your doctor informed on your pain level. Call each week if you need to. He won't remember who has had pains and who hasn't.

I hope you are feeling better soon!

Old 03-30-2009, 04:41 AM   #4
(female)

titaniumgirl HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by glezer68 View Post
It has almost been 3 weeks & now the pains are getting worse. My lower left side of my back constantly hurts & my left leg tingles like its going numb. I also keep getting these sharp stabbing abdominal pain. Is this normal? I have talked to Dr. & he claims that because he had to cut so much from the endemetrosis that my body is still adjusting but my back is killing me.
Is this the surgeon who you are talking too or your PCP? All I know is that I was in some discomfort and I walked stooped over for about a week or so. But I did not have pain like you're talking about. If you are concerned call the nurse line that you have with insurance ( personal insurance and state insurance have nurse hot lines. call them and tell the nurse what is going on and she can get you the OK to go to the ER if needed. Then do not ask to see your doc see someone else. I have done this when the stiches in my back broke and I could not get in to see doc. the nurse ok me to go to ER that way my insurance paid for it. )or demand a 2nd opinion. That is your right. Ask him were he cut you excatly did they do a "open" hysterectomy or a Lapo, one. Mine was open so she cut me from one side of my hips to the other, and I did not have as much pain as you are. I was up walking the next day slowly but I was able to walk.

If he took pictures of the endemetrosis during surgery ask to see them. If he/she still gives you the run around, find a second doc and see what they say.

I agree with Pickle Eyes keep calling and telling doc what is going on. And if you start running a fever or something new pops up call asap.

hope u feel better soon
titaniumgirl

Closed Thread