It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Hysterectomy Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-03-2009, 05:33 AM   #1
(female)

stedwell HB User
Do I really need a hysterectomy?

Sorry for this question I imagine it is asked many times on this site.

Here is my situation:
Heavy periods which mean I am constantly dealing with low iron issues.
Removal of 3 polps so far.
Was meant to have another polyp removed this week but it was delayed because it was found to be joined to a fibroid. This proceedure was meant to be followed by an ablation.

I am seeing my consultant next week to discuss the next step. I think he is going to recommend a hysterectomy. My family want me to have one as they are fed up of seeing me tired and unwell. I would rather they removed the growths and do an ablation. (Novasure)

Any thoughts would be really appreciated as I am trying to get my head together before the appointment.

Many thanks

Old 04-03-2009, 07:09 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Pickle Eyes HB UserPickle Eyes HB UserPickle Eyes HB User
Re: Do I really need a hysterectomy?

Hi Stedwell, I don't know if you need the hyst or if that is your best choice. I do know that it is not normal for a woman to bleed so much each month that she is anemic. If/when she does, it is time to seek some sort of intervention. I think it is important to make sure all tests have been performed to be sure nothing else is wrong (besides the polyp(s) and fibroid).

Something to consider is if you wish to have any (more?) children and/ or if you desire to not have periods any more.

When is your next appointment with your doctor?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-04-2009, 02:00 AM   #3
(female)

stedwell HB User

No - I am 45 - no more children. Don't mind not having any more periods!!! Also there is a worrying family history of cancer icluding uterine whcih is pushing me towards a hyst. Your comment about making sure all the tests have been performed is interesting. Do you mean like biopsies of the lining etc. I hadn't considered that.

Old 04-04-2009, 08:57 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

Pickle Eyes HB UserPickle Eyes HB UserPickle Eyes HB User

Yes, I'm thinking testing of the uterine lining (D&C and/or endometrial biopsy).

If you have such heavy bleeding then I would think the doctor has done those tests. Ok, I'd *hope* a doctor has done those tests.

I tend toward cautious since I was diagnosed with cervical cancer last year (and the diagnosis came out of the clear blue - or was it dark and cloudy- sky). So I tend to suggest testing/biopsies!

If you decide to get the hyst, I suggest you get a couple of doctors' opinions. Different doctors have different types of surgeries they prefer (some prefer abdominal, others prefer laparoscopic, etc). Find one you feel comfortable with.

Take care and write back!

Old 04-18-2009, 11:18 AM   #5
(female)

rachelle01 HB User

I would NOT have a hyster, only if you had cancer to begin with. If they can leave your ovaries MAYBE I would, but would try the ablation first. I had at hyster 3 years ago
at 40 and its been just a living hell. I never had emotional issues etc, and now Im one big mess, not to mention weight gain, depression, anxiety, personality changes, extreme joint pain, constant migraines, dizziness, stomaches, bladder and bowel problems. Having alot of symptoms similar to MS, but they say its from a hormone inbalance. The little natural estrogen I take ,I can barely tolerate the side effects from it, and alot of women cant take it either?.,,listen to your gut and not the doctors

Old 05-08-2009, 06:41 AM   #6
Facilitator
(female)

MSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB User

Having had Novasure 1 year ago,; and knowing what I know now- There is NO WAY Id recommend the ablation! I went thru it for much the same reasons...and I had my tubes tied at the same time. The recovery is awful- a month on your back. NOW IM LOOKING AT A HYSTER anyway! THe novasure only worked for 2 months...not worth it in my book!
GO for the hyster, and let us know how you do

Closed Thread