It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Hysterectomy Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-13-2009, 04:56 AM   #1
(female)

robin63 HB User
Need Some Input

I am 46 and have uterine prolaspe with fibroids. I had an endometrial ablation 2 years ago that helped the bleeding somewhat. The problems I am having is with the prolaspe. When I am having a BM the prolapse is hindering and blocking the area so that I cannot have a BM unless I push up on the area of the perinium. Between the vagina and the rectum. I went to a urogynecologist and she recommends a vaginal hysterectomy and taking both ovaries out. I would like to know more info about the procedure and the recovery. How painful is it. Thanks to anyone that can help.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-13-2009, 02:57 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Pickle Eyes HB UserPickle Eyes HB UserPickle Eyes HB User
Re: Need Some Input

Hi Robin, I had an LAVH last June (lap assisted vaginal hyst) for cervical cancer, but I was able to keep my ovaries. I wanted to keep mine so that I could benifit from my natural hormones as long as I can (to give me more time to figure out what I want to do when I hit menopause). My gyn/onc said if it were her she'd have the ovaries taken . . . but I chose to keep mine. I think it is a personal choice regarding the ovaries (assuming they are healthy). I was 44 at the time.

My doctor only had to take my cervix and uterus. I stayed in the hospital 2 nights, but could have gone home after 1. I was uncomfortable and I had to move about very carefully, but the pain meds helped a lot and I rested a LOT. I had my hyst on a Wednesday, went home on Friday, hubby was home with me through the weekend, and he went to work on Monday. He came home at lunch time to check on me and his office is only 10 minutes away if I had needed him to come home.

There was quite a while before I was able to go grocery shopping alone (do you know how heavy those carts are without food in them?! YIKES), but I took short walks starting on Thursday.

If you have any questions, let me know. I'll do my best to answer your questions!

Last edited by Pickle Eyes; 04-13-2009 at 02:57 PM. Reason: add my age

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-14-2009, 04:59 AM   #3
(female)

robin63 HB User

Thank you so much for your reply. This is something I have been trying to avoid doing for 2 years now. That's one reason I opted for the endometrial ablation instead of a hysterectomy 2 years ago. My GYN. gave me the choices. My biggest concern is the early menopause. The urogyn. I saw told me there was 1 in 80 percent chance of ovarian cancer developing if I left the ovaries at my age. I ask her if it was her doing this what would she do? She said "Take the ovaries" Soooo!!! I don't know what to do. I am very happy that she can do it vaginally. The down time is so much shorter. I hate to be down and out. I think it will make a big difference in one way and a bad difference with the hormones. I have until July to decide. The situation is not going to get any better. I am choosing July because of using Vacation time and I will only be out of work for 2 weeks she said. This way I only miss one week of work. My concern is that I stand all day. I am a dental assistant and always on the move. She said it would take up to 6 weeks to get my strength back. What do you think?? Is 2 weeks enough time to feel well enough to return to work???? Thanks alot for everything and have a great day.

Old 04-14-2009, 07:40 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

I suggest you do all of the research you can when it comes to taking the ovaires or not. Get opinions and see what feels right for you. For me, I didn't want to lose my uterus and cervix (even though I had cancer - crazy, I know, but I didn't feel bad). I don't believe in having more organs removed or cut upon (by surgery) than has to occur . . . and since the chances were pretty small for ovarian cancer, I decided to keep mine. I know that I'll continue seeing my gyn/onc for follow up visits and I'll be sure to mention any strange things to her. I feel more comfortable keeping my ovaries and knowing I'll be going to a gyn/onc than if I were keeping them and going to a regular gyn. But that's me.

I'm glad you have some time to do some research. I'm certain you'll decide what is right.

And honestly, regardless of what you do you'll wonder "what if" the other way. The most important thing is to be aware of how our body feels, to let the doctor know, let the doctor know of our concerns. In addition to that I pray that I made the best decision for my life. I am confident that I did.

Now, as for 2 weeks, LAVH and VH are different. I'm not sure how, but I know they are. Do you know if you'll end up with a few "holes" in your abdomen? If so, then it sounds like an LAVH. At 2 weeks I was ok to drive, and sit for 20 or 30 minutes at a time. I still rested a lot during the day. I don't know that I could have leaned over (like you'll need to do as a dental assistant) for extended periods of time. I would think that if you returned at 2-3 weeks that you still might require times that you'd need to lay down. It is amazing how a 10 minute rest can really restore you after that type of surgery.

And just because the external wounds heal, and you feel better, it can take up to a year for your body to completely adjust to the removal of a uterus.

Good luck! Let us know how you are doing!

Old 04-15-2009, 04:55 AM   #5
(female)

robin63 HB User

Thanks again for all of your help and info. I will certainly take all of this into consideration while making my decision. The doctor did mention that I would have the laproscopic holes in my stomach. She said I would be in the hospital a little less than 48 hours if all goes well. She said she likes to use packing the day of surgery. I have thought about 1/2 days when I return to work for a couple of weeks. I only work 4 days so that is an option. Thank you so much for everything.

Old 04-15-2009, 05:47 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

You are so welcome, Robin. I think returning to half-days is a good idea. It'll get you use to doing your work, and if you can't do it, then you need more time. The main thing to remember after surger is that you only get one chance to heal, so take it easier than you think you should/can. You need to get up and move, but lifting, pushing, pulling, standing, sitting, doing too much . . . can become too much very fast.

Take care and write back when you think of more questions!

Closed Thread