It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Hysterectomy Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-18-2009, 04:37 PM   #1
(female)

copitamie HB User
Hysterectomy or not? What are my options?

I'm 48, am quite anemic due to heavy menstrual flow, suffer from hormonal migraines (at least once a month), and suffer from fibroid cysts.

My PCP has recommended that I look into either a uterine ablation or hysterectomy as a way to take care of the anemia, which he feels will also help with my migraines and will improve my overall feeling of well being. I have researched the Novasure (uterine ablation), and due to the amount of horror stories that I've read, I am leaning more towards a hysterectomy, however, I'm not sure that I need one.

I take iron supplements, but I don't tolerate it well and have a problem with absorption. But, I haven't been to a hemotologist to explore my options with the anemia issue.

And what about the fibroid cysts? Are they a concern? My gynecologist feels that I should just have my uterus removed, since I don't want more children and that it's (the uterus), is just a fertile ground for tumors to grow.

And if I have a hysterectomy, will my migraines, which are mainly hormonal, subside or get worse?

Please help, how do I find the answers?

I really appreciate your comments.

copitamie

Old 05-19-2009, 07:22 AM   #2
(female)

Moonie46 HB User
Re: Hysterectomy or not? What are my options?

Hi there, having just had a total abdominal hysterectomy 5 weeks ago as a last resort - I would suggest there could be other options for you to consider from what you have described. Can the fibroid cysts be removed and the anaemia treated by some other means? What about reducing the blood flow by having the uterus scraped out......can't remember the term for this procedure but it significantly reduces menstral flow or can stop it altogether, and is recommended for women who do not wish to have more children. The question of hormones is complex - I am still researching HRT. Best of luck

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-19-2009, 07:34 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

Pickle Eyes HB UserPickle Eyes HB UserPickle Eyes HB User

Hi,

Do you currently have a uterine fibroid (or more)? If not, I wouldn't think you would begin to develop them this close to menopause. (even if you have 10 or 15 years until meno). If you don't have fibroids and your doctor is using the "fertile ground for fibroids," then I'd HIGHLY suggest you get to another doctor for another opinion. Most women devleop their fibroids over decades, usually from their early 20s into their 30s and/or 40s. Fibroids begin to shring (at least a little) after menopause.

Oh wait, you asked about "fibroid cysts." I don't know what those are.

If I were you, I'd ask my doctor about the effect my ovaries had on the migraines. That needs to be a consideration in whether you keep them or ask the doctor to remove them. Your doctor can do a hyst and leave the ovaries, or take them (also called bilateral salpingo oophorectomy or BSO).

I hope that helps.

Old 05-28-2009, 09:44 AM   #4
(female)

tigeer HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by copitamie View Post
I'm 48, am quite anemic due to heavy menstrual flow, suffer from hormonal migraines (at least once a month), and suffer from fibroid cysts.

My PCP has recommended that I look into either a uterine ablation or hysterectomy as a way to take care of the anemia, which he feels will also help with my migraines and will improve my overall feeling of well being. I have researched the Novasure (uterine ablation), and due to the amount of horror stories that I've read, I am leaning more towards a hysterectomy, however, I'm not sure that I need one.

I take iron supplements, but I don't tolerate it well and have a problem with absorption. But, I haven't been to a hemotologist to explore my options with the anemia issue.

And what about the fibroid cysts? Are they a concern? My gynecologist feels that I should just have my uterus removed, since I don't want more children and that it's (the uterus), is just a fertile ground for tumors to grow.

And if I have a hysterectomy, will my migraines, which are mainly hormonal, subside or get worse?

copitamie

Old 05-28-2009, 09:53 AM   #5
(female)

tigeer HB User

Hi i hope you will get another opinion, women should have hysterectomy only if they don't have more options .I had hysterectomy do to edno i take hormones now ,its never the same save your organs if you can good lock

Old 06-21-2009, 12:45 AM   #6
(female)

jenn1000 HB User

I want a hysterectomy. I am having trouble finding a doctor who will agree to it. One doctor put me on Megace which is supposed to mimic a hysterectomy. She said if I can come back to her in three months and tell her that I didn't have any migraines or any other pain, she will do the hysterectomy. My problem is I don't want to wait three months for what I know now. My husband is in the military, currently stationed in Iraq. I am living in Rhode Island for the year. I want the surgery done here by a civilian surgeon. (Military "doctors" don't know their backside from their front) For the past five years all I have heard is, "You should consider a hysterectomy". I was not ready then. I had false hope that the migraines, fibroid, and pain from the cysts and Endometriosis would go away. Now that I am ready, I can't find a doctor to agree to it. The civilian doctor I saw on the Naval base told me I should of had one by now. The surgeon who tied my tubes six years ago, told me I would need a hysterectomy in a few years. What really gets me is a woman can cry "My body, my choice" when she wants to kill her unborn child, but I can't get someone to perform a hysterectomy on me, so I don't have to be in pain anymore. All they want to do is give me drug after drug that causes me to gain weight. I am tired of having to starve myself, and exercise continuously just to keep from being obese. I have talked to many woman who have had hysterectomy's, every single one of them said they felt great afterwards. They felt better than ever.

Old 06-23-2009, 07:19 PM   #7
(female)

tigeer HB User

Quote:

copitamie

Old 06-23-2009, 07:30 PM   #8
(female)

tigeer HB User

Hi dear.You really need to think about hysterectomy because nothing is easy about that .I take primeryn 1.25 mg daily after hysterectomy and is never the same i miss my own hormones .WE have the organs for reason ,you think of hysterectomy only if there is no other choice .If not my ednometriosis that was the only reason for that please try anything before you go that far good lock

Old 06-23-2009, 09:21 PM   #9
(female)

jill60 HB User

Have you had a D & C ? I have had a few of those.
I did have fibroids & polyps. I opted to try the ablation rather than the hysterectomy. I ended up bleeding for 24 days in a row each month after that. I have 2 cousins that had ablations, they didn't have fibroids, & they haven't had a period since.
I ended up having a hysterectomy & they took my ovaries so now I am in hormonal hell.
My daughter has hormonal migranes, When she was pregnant she never had one. She had her tubes tied 3 yrs ago & has had very few migranes since.

Jill

Old 06-23-2009, 09:27 PM   #10
(female)

jill60 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by jenn1000 View Post
I want a hysterectomy. I am having trouble finding a doctor who will agree to it. One doctor put me on Megace which is supposed to mimic a hysterectomy. She said if I can come back to her in three months and tell her that I didn't have any migraines or any other pain, she will do the hysterectomy. My problem is I don't want to wait three months for what I know now. My husband is in the military, currently stationed in Iraq. I am living in Rhode Island for the year. I want the surgery done here by a civilian surgeon. (Military "doctors" don't know their backside from their front) For the past five years all I have heard is, "You should consider a hysterectomy". I was not ready then. I had false hope that the migraines, fibroid, and pain from the cysts and Endometriosis would go away. Now that I am ready, I can't find a doctor to agree to it. The civilian doctor I saw on the Naval base told me I should of had one by now. The surgeon who tied my tubes six years ago, told me I would need a hysterectomy in a few years. What really gets me is a woman can cry "My body, my choice" when she wants to kill her unborn child, but I can't get someone to perform a hysterectomy on me, so I don't have to be in pain anymore. All they want to do is give me drug after drug that causes me to gain weight. I am tired of having to starve myself, and exercise continuously just to keep from being obese. I have talked to many woman who have had hysterectomy's, every single one of them said they felt great afterwards. They felt better than ever.
They must not have had their ovaries removed. I do feel better than when I was having the heavy periods but now I have to deal with hormones or not having any. Surgical menopause isn't fun. Fortunately I have found a good Dr. to take care of the hormones.

Jill

Old 06-28-2009, 09:29 PM   #11
(female)

sandra0315 HB User

WE have alot of organs for reasons, but if an organ isnt functioning correctly...its gotta go. Sorry. I had a hysterectomy in Jan. this year. Best thing I have every done for my body that was in pain everyday. I feel like a whole new person, and my life has changed for the better. NO MORE PAIN!
My advise would be to do whats best for your body, so you can be painfree and live a healthy happy life. I am.

Old 09-01-2010, 02:17 PM   #12
(female)

Jen Q HB User

COPITAMIE: If you want no more children (like me) have serious health problems that are affecting you day to day life, why would you want to keep your reproductive organs. I did not and had a complete hysterectomy on June 24 2010. I'd had a Uterine Thermal Ablation (hot water) done last year and it was great, but I had problems it could not cure and the heavy bleeding came back in a year. I do not think ablation would help your fibrioid problem or your migranes. After my hyster I found out I had 2 fibroids, I never had any before, I had a tumor on my right ovary and my urterus was growing into my abdomin and had attached to my intestines and bladder. The surgery was worth it for me, it was not easy for sure, as it is major surgery, but you are suffering terribly right now. I would seriously talk to another doctor about a complete Hysterectomy. I am on a estrogen patch, its only been 3 months and I feel great compared to before. Get a second opinion I think your PCP is on the right path, but talk with an OB GYN about all of your symptoms. I wsh you the best.

Old 09-01-2010, 02:20 PM   #13
(female)

Jen Q HB User

Amen!! I am so glad I did a complete hyster 3 months ago!! I am glad to hear you are doing well. I am a different person on the inside, funny, I didn't remember what it was to be pain free.

Old 09-01-2010, 08:09 PM   #14
Senior Veteran
(female)

Mel52 HB UserMel52 HB UserMel52 HB UserMel52 HB UserMel52 HB UserMel52 HB UserMel52 HB UserMel52 HB UserMel52 HB User

I am really glad I had my surgery. So far I haven't had the pain and itching in my side that tortured me for the last several years. I see the surgeon Friday. I plan to ask him if the fibroids or something was pressing on my intestine.

Old 09-09-2010, 10:45 AM   #15
(female)

sharonjules HB User

Quote:

copitamie
Sounds like you need a hysterectomy to me. TAHwBSO then low dose ERT thereafter. Probably will fix H/A only if ovaries are removed...

Closed Thread