It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Hysterectomy Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-31-2009, 05:58 AM   #1
Veteran
(female)

dolejaly HB User
Would a hysterectomy help?

Awhile back my doctor suggested to have a hysterectomy, beings I am 44 yrs old and do not have any plans on more children. I have had issues w/ tenderness and pain in my lower stomach for a long time and although w/ ultra sounds show maybe once in awhile very small cysts on my ovaries or issues that aren't that big of a deal. I was checked for endometry ( I don't know how to spell the full word) He did mention fibroid, which I am not for sure what those are.....

But, I have been dealing w/ menopause symptoms for a very long time and it is driving me absolutely crazy w/ the hot flashes, night/day sweats, the tiredness, emotional roller-coaster, bloating, etc....It has been a nightmare and only seems to be getting worse....I am on synthroid for my thyroid issues found a couple of years back and I also take "Black Cohosh" to help w/ the sweats being I can just be sitting doing nothing and you would think I just got done in the shower, my head is drenched in sweat, unfortunately the herbs don't help either....

Now my question is if I get the hysterectomy will that stop all these symptoms and what other issues would I be dealing w/ if I got this procedure done? My doctor said it was up to me. I don't know what to do...I just hate feeling the way I do and want it to stop....

Old 05-31-2009, 07:12 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Thisby HB UserThisby HB UserThisby HB UserThisby HB UserThisby HB UserThisby HB UserThisby HB UserThisby HB UserThisby HB UserThisby HB UserThisby HB User
Re: Would a hystorectomy help?

No, a hysterectomy won't get rid of your menopausal symptoms. It would get rid of your fibroid and you won't have periods any more but if those aren't a problem, it seems overkill to have such a serious surgery for that.

Unless he plans on taking out your ovaries too (oophorectomy) but that's something to avoid unless you have something like ovarian cancer. Women generally want to keep their ovaries. If you have an oophorectomy along with the hysterectomy, you will go into full menopause immediately and you may or may not want to take hormone replacement after that.

Hysterectomies are one of the leading overdone surgeries so I'd think hard about if it's actually necessary and going to help.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-31-2009, 09:08 PM   #3
Veteran
(female)

dolejaly HB User
Re: Would a hysterectomy help?

Thank you for the info....I hear some say its worth it and then I hear about some of the issues others go through and it sounds a lot worse than the issues I am dealing with presently...What are fibroids anyways? That was the main reason the doctor suggested the hysterectomy, plus at that time I was having like 2 -3 periods a month, only for a couple of days at a time, but it was annoying.....My periods sometimes are normal and other times I may still have 2 in a months time.....What exactly do you gain from even having one done?...
I just don't want to do something I regret later.....

Closed Thread