It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Hysterectomy Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-22-2009, 08:35 PM   #1
(female)

Calleigh HB User
Unhappy Cystocele/Rectocele surgery...AGAIN!

In April 2008, I had the following things done: TVH, cystocele and rectocele repair and a Monarc sling (TOT) put in for stress incontinence.
I wish I could say that everything worked out well and is going fine. Unfortunately, I can't. A couple months after surgery, I felt the 'bulge' starting again. Sure enough, when I returned to the doctor, she told me that the cystocele was reforming. I was also having extreme difficulty urinating---the TOT sling was too tight. So I ended up back in the OR in August 2008....first to remove the sling and second, to again fix the cystocele.
I came out of the hospital with high hopes, even though I knew the stress incontinence would return. But I was willing to live with urinating on myself when I laughed, coughed, etc if only the cystocele would remain fixed.
Fast forward to January 2008---I'm not kidding, the dang cystocele just won't stay put!! I returned to my doctor in March 2009 who not only confirmed it was back, but now the rectocele has too!!! GRRRRRR!!! I simply don't know what else to do. I know I can't afford to keep returning to the OR every 4-6 months.
The doctor has agreed to yet another surgery. With it being almost July 2009, I know you must be wondering why I haven't had surgery yet. Unfortunately, I had to put it off for a couple of months due to an unrelated accident that forced me to have surgery on my knee. I'm now recovering from that. But as soon as I'm able to, definitely before September, I plan on going back in for more surgery down below. We've discussed it at great length and the doctor told me that she was going to talk to some colleagues and figure out a better plan of action than what we've chosen and done previously. Hopefully it will work out this time.
Is there ANYONE here who's experienced this? I can't believe I'm the only one who's had repeated failures. It sure is lonely to be me.

~Calleigh~

p.s. If you do know where I'm coming from, I'd love to hear some feedback on the different things your dr tried with each failure and repeat surgery. I know they can't keep performing the same surgery each time. So I'm just wondering what the doctor might try this time around. So far I've been lucky and everything has been performed vaginally. I'm hoping I won't find myself with abdominal this time around.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-02-2009, 07:39 PM   #2
(female)

anorman202 HB User
Re: Cystocele/Rectocele surgery...AGAIN!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calleigh View Post
In April 2008, I had the following things done: TVH, cystocele and rectocele repair and a Monarc sling (TOT) put in for stress incontinence.
I wish I could say that everything worked out well and is going fine. Unfortunately, I can't. A couple months after surgery, I felt the 'bulge' starting again. Sure enough, when I returned to the doctor, she told me that the cystocele was reforming. I was also having extreme difficulty urinating---the TOT sling was too tight. So I ended up back in the OR in August 2008....first to remove the sling and second, to again fix the cystocele.
I came out of the hospital with high hopes, even though I knew the stress incontinence would return. But I was willing to live with urinating on myself when I laughed, coughed, etc if only the cystocele would remain fixed.
Fast forward to January 2008---I'm not kidding, the dang cystocele just won't stay put!! I returned to my doctor in March 2009 who not only confirmed it was back, but now the rectocele has too!!! GRRRRRR!!! I simply don't know what else to do. I know I can't afford to keep returning to the OR every 4-6 months.
The doctor has agreed to yet another surgery. With it being almost July 2009, I know you must be wondering why I haven't had surgery yet. Unfortunately, I had to put it off for a couple of months due to an unrelated accident that forced me to have surgery on my knee. I'm now recovering from that. But as soon as I'm able to, definitely before September, I plan on going back in for more surgery down below. We've discussed it at great length and the doctor told me that she was going to talk to some colleagues and figure out a better plan of action than what we've chosen and done previously. Hopefully it will work out this time.
Is there ANYONE here who's experienced this? I can't believe I'm the only one who's had repeated failures. It sure is lonely to be me.

~Calleigh~

p.s. If you do know where I'm coming from, I'd love to hear some feedback on the different things your dr tried with each failure and repeat surgery. I know they can't keep performing the same surgery each time. So I'm just wondering what the doctor might try this time around. So far I've been lucky and everything has been performed vaginally. I'm hoping I won't find myself with abdominal this time around.

Hi Calleigh,
So sorry about all your problems. My rectocele and cystocele surgery done by a urologist and my GYN at the same time Sept/2008 didn't go well either. I still have a little leakage after the sling done on my bladder...and a couple of times recently I woke with my panties full of urine...this happened 2 mornings in a row. This hasn't happened anymore? I also had to go back into surgery 6 mos following the 1st surgery of 9/2008 because of extreme tenderness in the bladder area. My urologist found an abscessed stitch...one that never dissolved, also he removed some scar tissue. But, the worst luck has been that sex isn't possible. My GYN stitched me up too tight! Even my urologist later admitted that she'd [GYN] messed me up! Although, I'm 62 and my husband is 67...we were still able to have sex before my rectocle surgery. Just wondering, did you have this problem too? I don't know what to do? My GYN has never mentioned that she made a mistake; but, she has said she'd refer to to someone who specializes in support [pelvic] surgeries. Wished I seen them first! I'd had a very complicated hysterctomy around 30 yrs ago...was cut from my lower stomach down through my body to my tailbone where my ovaries were found surrounded with varicose veins. I warned my GYN about this before the surgery...but, she said she didn't find anything unusual. Anorman

Last edited by anorman202; 07-02-2009 at 07:41 PM. Reason: didn't sign my name

Old 07-03-2009, 04:30 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

Martha H HB UserMartha H HB UserMartha H HB UserMartha H HB UserMartha H HB UserMartha H HB UserMartha H HB UserMartha H HB UserMartha H HB UserMartha H HB UserMartha H HB User

I hope your doctor can get that problem fixed for you, it sounds like a serious mistake on someone's part...

I am recovering well from rectocele surgery and have not been back for post surgery examination yet ... I am hoping nothing has gone wrong. I do not have a husband so that is one less thing to worry about ...

Martha

Old 11-23-2010, 01:55 PM   #4
(female)

jillyhiggy HB User

hi calleigh
i know its many months since you posted this and i sincerely hope you have got respite from some quarter at this stage. this is my first time to reply to anything on a board but such was my relief and i have to say roll around on the couch laughter after reading what you wrote i was left with no choice but to do just that. i had the same surgeries as you in june of this year -minus the knee i might add- and have just this week noticed the return of the horrible bulge heeeeeeeeelp! what to do. would be very curious to know what you did etc etc, thanks again for a much needed laugh

jillyhiggy

Old 12-07-2010, 09:37 PM   #5
(female)

Steffi721 HB User
Unhappy Re: Cystocele/Rectocele surgery...AGAIN!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jillyhiggy View Post
hi calleigh
i know its many months since you posted this and i sincerely hope you have got respite from some quarter at this stage. this is my first time to reply to anything on a board but such was my relief and i have to say roll around on the couch laughter after reading what you wrote i was left with no choice but to do just that. i had the same surgeries as you in june of this year -minus the knee i might add- and have just this week noticed the return of the horrible bulge heeeeeeeeelp! what to do. would be very curious to know what you did etc etc, thanks again for a much needed laugh

jillyhiggy
I would also love to know how you made out. I had surgery to repair a rectocele and a bladder sling put in. The bladder is fine, but I'm 8 months post op and now I have a grade one rectocele with a SECOND bulge coming down over that one! The urogyn that did the surgery made me chose between using a graft or mesh, all the while discouraging me from using the mesh because I imagine she had been involved in a lawsuit because of it. I foolishly chose the graft, but I haven't a clue as to what would have prevented my recurring prolapse. I did everything I was supposed to. When the doctor examined me 3 mos. after surgery, and told me the rectocele was reforming, I wanted to sink into the exam table and disappear. When I asked how concerned I should be about this, she shrugged her shoulders and made a face as if to say, "I did MY best" and then she told me, "It's not like I can make you like you were when you were 18 again!" I was nearly knocked over on my a** by this comment. I wanted to say, "I wasn't asking you to make me like I was at 18 again, just fix my rectocele!" but I said nothing and just left.

I'm seeing an ortheopedic surgeon on Thursday for possible back surgery for a compressed nerve in my spine, but after going through this, I'm not as hopeful about surgery correcting a problem as I was before.

Anyone with recurring prolapse after surgery?

Closed Thread