It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Hysterectomy Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-22-2009, 04:46 PM   #1
(female)

slsmith1122 HB User
MS and hysterectomy, will it throw me into an exacerbation?

My gyno says i need a v.hysterectomy, rectocele, and cystocele. MAJOR surgery from what i read here. I am worried about it throwing me back into an exacerbation. Have any of you had this?

Old 07-24-2009, 08:20 AM   #2
(female)

NarLyB HB User
Re: MS and hysterectomy, will it throw me into an exacerbation?

I had to have a hysterectomy in 2002 and it did not cause an exacerbation. I had severe endometriosis.

In fact, I actually felt better afterward. Better than I had in years.

I think that is because of the endometriosis, my immune system was constantly running full bore, so I was continually having problems.

After getting rid of the endometriosis completely, my immune system was able to slow down.

Good luck! I hope you feel better afterwards also!!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-24-2009, 08:24 AM   #3
Facilitator
(female)

MSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB User

Interesting that you would post this, im also facing a complete Hyster in either the fall or early next year. Ive had major surgery (trying to postpone this as long as possible) and have MS as well. None of my surgeries have thrown me into any kind of relapse; however the stress of worrying about them has reduced me to a puddle of mud several times!

I think the other poster is right...if you are having any of the same type of problems that I am having, things can only get better post-op!
Please keep us posted....and good luck to you.
Nikki

Old 07-24-2009, 08:39 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

Snoopy61 HB UserSnoopy61 HB UserSnoopy61 HB UserSnoopy61 HB UserSnoopy61 HB UserSnoopy61 HB UserSnoopy61 HB UserSnoopy61 HB UserSnoopy61 HB UserSnoopy61 HB UserSnoopy61 HB User

Hello, slsmith.

Some with MS have eacerbations after surgery and some do not.

I have had 3 surgeries and they never caused an exacerbation.

Old 09-20-2009, 12:25 AM   #5
(female)

slsmith1122 HB User

ok guys, update on the Major surgery deal! I went ahead and had the hysterectomy and all. I had to get clearance from my neuro before the anesthesiologist would put me to sleep. Neuro said that i could be put to sleep,
but with the symptoms i had been having, I would be more hard to wake up. Hmmm, I thought that a little strange. However, he was right, I was a 7am case, and did not really come around until darkthirty. They kept telling me to take deep breaths, and my sat(oxygen%) kept dropping to like 87%. This was unusual for me. I did have a few minor set backs, such as myoclonic jerks the 2nd night, and tingling of legs, numbness of right hip, and the third week, after the tired ness was gone, I started the unusual fatique, where i only had 3-4 hours in the day i could function. That only lasted 5 days. I'm still glad I had the surgery. Feel much better, monday will be 6wks. and back to work I go!!

Old 09-20-2009, 06:46 AM   #6
Facilitator
(female)

MSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB User

Glad to hear you are on the road to recovery!!! Its alittle unusual that you had such a hard time waking up, but I guess its different for each of us. Im seeing another doc next week to make a decision on whether or not Ill go thru with similar surgery...Im not scared to have the surgery, Im scared of the recovery!! I cant sit still for that long!!

Continued success in your recovery.
Nikki

Old 09-20-2009, 04:18 PM   #7
Facilitator
(male)

MSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB UserMSJayhawk HB User

congratulations on your surgery and I wish you a speedy recovery!

Eternally blessed and eternally optimistic!<><

Old 09-28-2009, 06:34 PM   #8
(female)

slsmith1122 HB User

so i thought, exacerbation is awful now, and neuro has put me on my first dexamethasone taper drug for 15 days. this is my 5th day, and i have gained 5lbs already! starving!!! be glad when this is over. he also started me on a new drug for the seizures, vimpat. tonight was my first dose. i am still give out, and today was 7weeks post op. i am sure i am just in an exacerbation now. My work days are twice a week for 1/2 a day. thats all i can last. pray i get better, please!

Closed Thread