It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Hysterectomy Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-29-2009, 08:57 AM   #1
(female)

kakinlaw HB User
Question post hysterectomy cramping, gas, bowel pain

Help ! 2 weeks after surgery

I had a hysterectomy july 13th, and ever since then, I've really had trouble with my bowel movements. They are very painfull, and the gas pain is terrible.

I just started back to work again, because other than my bowels, I feel pretty good.

Is this normal ? ( problem with bowels after surgery? ) I feel bloated, and irriatable, but not in too much pain. I can't push at all when I am taking a bowel movement, I just have to sit and wait.....and sit and wait.

Would it be alright to take a laxitave ? Stool softener ? I dont want my body to become to used to them. I was having to take 4 iron pills daily for 2 to 3
months before surgery, so I also took stool softeners then too.

I also have a flabby handle around my waist, above the cut, that wasnt there before, will that eventually go away? Is that just part of my abdomen healing ? My body looks normal everywhere else, but there.

Also, how long does one have this pinkish,yellowish, redish discharge after surgery? Is that normal too?

Sorry, I'm just a wreck, any comments would be so helpfull and appreciated.
thanks, law.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-29-2009, 02:05 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

shisslak HB Usershisslak HB Usershisslak HB Usershisslak HB Usershisslak HB Usershisslak HB Usershisslak HB User
Re: post hysterectomy cramping, gas, bowel pain

You just had surgery two weeks ago and you are already going back to work???? A hystroectomy is major surgery which typically take 4-6 weeks for your body to heal. It is very common for you to have bowel problems, if you think of the surgery you just had, the surgeon had to go around if not literally pick your bowels up and move them out of the way to get to your uterus and ovaries. It is good that you are having some gas because that mean that your bowels are working although they still may be slow. You had to take stool softeners when you were on iron supplements so you bowel have not been forced to work as hard as they use to. If you do not want to take stool softeners any longer, than try eating lots of fruit (apples, pears grapes) and lots of green veggies (green salads, brocolli, asparagus...) these natural foods will add the extra fiber that you need to push everything though. If you are still taking pain medications, those also can be contributing to your having a hard time. Try increasing the fruit and veggies route along with some stool softners to get things moving again without any discomfort. (you do not want to end up with hemrroids from all the hard pushing) and than gradually reduce the use of stool softners and see if your bowels correct themselves.

When is you post op visit with the surgeon? You really should not be returning to work until to you have had time to heal...even though you feel great, returning to work is really going to tire you out.

I am not aware of how long you should experience this discharge, you should write the question down and make sure that you ask it at your follow-up appointment. You can also call and asked the nurse or check your discharge sheet. They may have address the discharge question right on the discharge instructions.

Hope this answers your question. Please take it easy and be good to yourself.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Closed Thread