It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Hysterectomy Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-04-2002, 07:58 AM   #1

claujuh HB User
Question how do you know if you're "in menopause" if you've had a hysterectomy?

i will be 50 years old in july and i had a hysterectomy with removal of one ovary four and a half years ago, so that remaining ovary is still chugging along, despite the fact that endometriosis has returned and the ovary has cysts on it. i had the hysto because stage four endo was discovered while the surgeon was attempting to just remove the other ovary that had cysts and was causing me great pain. so....how the heck am i supposed to know when i am actually in the thick of it , so to speak???? my mother had a hysterectomy at the same age as i did and my sister is 53 and has just started with menopause in full swing.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-04-2002, 03:50 PM   #2

cozy HB User
Unhappy

Sorry about your ovarian problems. Sounds like your being "forced" into mena I stopped having a
period for 1 full year at age 46. After seeing a GYNO to rule out any other possabilities I was told I'm in mena. Still have these darn hot flashes tho.
At least 1 an hour. Thats a good day.LOL! I'm 49 now & just hoping my last drenching hot flash will soon cease. http://www.healthboards.com/ubb/rolleyes.gif Hope you get a better answere from someone going thru your probs.
I just had to reply to you. Best to you

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-05-2002, 05:39 AM   #3
Senior Veteran

bjg HB User
THERE IS A BLOOD TEST THAT CAN DETERMINE IF YOU ARE MENOPAUSAL..I THINK ITS CALLED FSH...ASKY YOUR DR ABOUT IT

Old 04-08-2002, 01:43 PM   #4

HMC HB User
Unhappy

I am 49. I had a hysterectomy 16 years ago with both ovaries removed. I was on HRT for about 7 years but was taken off it when I developed a clot in my leag and was on Warfarin. Now recently off warfarin and HRT and have started having hot flashes, particularly at night and now am suffering from sleeplessness. Have seen suggestions of Black Cohosh, also Menosan....are these any good? Any other ideas of what might help? Thanks in anticipation.

Old 04-12-2002, 05:17 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

AnnD HB UserAnnD HB User
I am 56...had a hysterectomy in my late 20's ..leaving one ovary. I began my journey through menopause 3 years ago and believe me I knew exactly when menopause started...it hit me on the same day that I had a thyroid storm. That was a very hot day I can tell you! I take .625mg Premarin every day. I have taken myself off of it from time to time just to see if the heat wave is over and to try other things. Absolutely nothing else in the 'natural' medicines worked nor did any foods, nor did other types of hormone replacements. There isn't anything I haven't tried. I have had blood clots while on a larger dose of Premarin (.9mg). I cut that back to .625mg and take 2 aspirin a day to keep my blood thin enough to avoid blood clots...I would prefer not taking anything but I just get so sick with nausea, sweats,and just overwhelmingly tired so I risk the Premarin. Menopause is different for everyone so you just have to figure out what works best. Of course if you have other diagnosis you have to just concentrate on getting each one somewhat under control so you know when something is not right. Now that's the tough part. Good luck to you in your struggles.

Old 04-13-2002, 10:21 AM   #6

claujuh HB User
i've decided to use progesterone cream. can't do HRT because of family history of breast cancer.

Old 06-25-2002, 11:16 PM   #7

Dejobink HB User
Hi! I stumbled on your post while surfing around and am asking the same question. How do I know if I am in perimenopause or not? http://www.healthboards.com/ubb/confused.gif
I am 47 years old and had a partial hysterectomy in March 2001 and kept my overies. They are still functioning and every month I experience ovulation, breast tenderness, irritability and the symptoms of a period without the actual period. I started using the progesterone cream in February 2002 and this month, I really notice a difference. I didn't have breast tenderness or soreness http://www.healthboards.com/ubb/bang.gif and I seem to be not so anxious and snappy. What a relief http://www.healthboards.com/ubb/bang.gif
Everyone says that it takes about 3 months to get noticeable results.

I have also been taking a female supplement, flax seed, and added soy to my daily diet. The combination seems to have made a difference for me!!!!

Old 06-26-2002, 07:05 AM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

drs HB Userdrs HB Userdrs HB Userdrs HB User
claujah there is a natural HRT it's called Tri-est. it's in a cream form and has to made by a pharmacist. I had a partial hist. at 35 and a total hist. at 36. Iam now on tri-est. I love it compared to the others I've tried. Also taking progest. cream, kinda started to slack off on that and right now I have severe breast tenderness, wondering if thats my problem and not the awful mamogram apt. I had on April 5th.

Old 07-03-2002, 08:33 AM   #9
Senior Veteran
(female)

drs HB Userdrs HB Userdrs HB Userdrs HB User
Claujuh, the Tri-Est cream I told you about is suppose to be the closest to natural HRT that you can get. They told me after my total hysterectomy that I would be in menopause imediately. Did you try any progesterone cream yet? Diana

Closed Thread