It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Hysterectomy Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-27-2009, 04:51 PM   #1
(female)

mamaof2boys HB User
Microsulis Endometrial Ablation or Hysterectomy???

I'll try to make this short. I have been having really heavy periods pretty much since my last baby (Sept 07) that has many clots and bright red blood. I went to the Gyno yesterday and he did a transvaginal ultrasound and it showed that I have a fairly large fibroid and thickening of the uterine lining. He basically said that I have 2 options.....Microsulis Endometrial Ablation or a Hysterectomy. He did do a biopsy to check for precancer but the results won't be in for probably 3 weeks or so. I go back in 4 weeks to let him know what my decision is and i'm just looking for some advice from anyone with this experience. My periods are definetely affecting my life and the cramps are intense and i'm just tired of dealing with it. The ablation scares me but so does the hysterectomy. I guess I just need to hear about other women's stories. I'm 35 and am done having kids!!!

Old 08-27-2009, 05:05 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Pickle Eyes HB UserPickle Eyes HB UserPickle Eyes HB User
Re: Microsulis Endometrial Ablation or Hysterectomy???

If your only problem is the fibroid, then you have other options. You might be a candidate for uterine fibroid embolization (UFE, also called uterine artery embolization UAE). It is a fairly slow (over a year or two) shrinking of the fibroid, but it isn't nearly as invasive as the ablation or a hyst.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-28-2009, 08:01 AM   #3
(female)

mamaof2boys HB User

Has anyone had the Microsulis Endometrial Ablation? I just don't want to have that done and it not work or worse not be able to get any uterine biopsies if needed. The UFE or UAE wasn't given to me as an option so I don't think my Dr does this??? I'm going to wait until I get my biopsy results and then make a decision. I wish I didn't have to make this decision but I can't live with my cycles as they are......it's a good thing I work from home as I don't like leaving the house for the 9 days or so my perios lasts.

Old 09-01-2009, 12:11 AM   #4
(female)

tammykinz HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by mamaof2boys View Post
I'll try to make this short. I have been having really heavy periods pretty much since my last baby (Sept 07) that has many clots and bright red blood. I went to the Gyno yesterday and he did a transvaginal ultrasound and it showed that I have a fairly large fibroid and thickening of the uterine lining. He basically said that I have 2 options.....Microsulis Endometrial Ablation or a Hysterectomy. He did do a biopsy to check for precancer but the results won't be in for probably 3 weeks or so. I go back in 4 weeks to let him know what my decision is and i'm just looking for some advice from anyone with this experience. My periods are definetely affecting my life and the cramps are intense and i'm just tired of dealing with it. The ablation scares me but so does the hysterectomy. I guess I just need to hear about other women's stories. I'm 35 and am done having kids!!!
Hello

I am 33 and I have 2 kids. I have had major problems with my periods ever since they started when I was 13. Lots and lots of pain. when I was about 19 I had it diagnosed as endometriosis. the pain I had was so severe I could hardly move, I would just lay in bed for the first few days of my period, it was awful. I ended up getting married and had my 2 kids. I breastfed each of them for a year so I had about a 4 year break of no periods. But when the started up again, the pain was coming back. Doctor put me on depo provera shots, I had also tried every birth control I swear that was ever made prior to having kids. anyways the depo worked for awhile. I was a very heavy bleeder with clots and did I mention Pain? Then I started bleeding irregularly with the depo provera shots. I gained 80 pounds on that shot in 1 year. The doctor felt that I should double the dose because I was heavier set. Well a few months later I had a severe episode of bleeding and i was passing huge clots, filling pads, overflowing pads in less than 15 minutes. I began noticing it was getting worse and worse. I was bleeding to death. I was taken to the hospital by my mother. My blood count was way down. anyways I ended up having an emergency hysterectomy due to hemorrhaging and needed a blood transfusion. My uterus was the size of a 3 month pregnancy. Doctor said that I had a large fibroid and adenomysosis which is like endometriosis in the uterine wall. Since my hysterectomy which would of been about 5 years ago. I have been pain free, it was the best thing for me. I never have periods. I have my ovaries becuase they were in good shape so not on any more hormones. I am telling you, if you are done having children, go for the hysterectomy. You will rid yourself of these horrible problems. If you are afraid of it, talk about it with your doctor. what is it that concerns you? are you worried about having to take hormones, can you keep your ovaries? ....If you don't need your uterus and it is giving you nothing but trouble........my opinion would be to take it out. I think you'll feel much better.

Old 09-01-2009, 10:29 PM   #5
(female)

jill60 HB User

I had fibroids & I opted for the ablation. If your fibroids are a certain size it will not work. Mine didn't work & then I started bleeding for 24 days straight. I ended up having a hysterectomy about 7 months after the Novasure.

Jill

Old 09-08-2009, 09:26 AM   #6
(female)

mamaof2boys HB User

Well i've pretty much made the decision to go ahead with the hysterectomy (4 days ago when my period hell arrived). The only thing that worries me is being put to sleep. I'm terrified something will happen to me. I'll find out my biopsy results next week or the week after at my appt but even if they come back i'm going to go ahead and get my uterus taken out. I'm so done with it..LOL! Hopefully I wont have to wait too long for a surgery date. How long should I expect to be off work for? I have a Home Daycare.

Old 09-11-2009, 01:21 PM   #7
Veteran
(female)

moommin HB User

Quote:
Well i've pretty much made the decision to go ahead with the hysterectomy (4 days ago when my period hell arrived). The only thing that worries me is being put to sleep. I'm terrified something will happen to me. I'll find out my biopsy results next week or the week after at my appt but even if they come back i'm going to go ahead and get my uterus taken out. I'm so done with it..LOL! Hopefully I wont have to wait too long for a surgery date. How long should I expect to be off work for? I have a Home Daycare.
hi i had hysterectomy,9 weeks ago ,due to fibroid,i was scared to be put to sleep so had it with eperdural (spelling) they also give you a sedative,i remember going in to theatre and the next thing i knew i was in recovery,i tried embolisation but it diddnt work i had an unusual blood supply,im 49,and been on iron for over 2 years feeling like hell,after every period,i couldnt wait for menopourse,i suffererd long enough, its early days post hysterectomy to say if i did the wright thing, i now have hormone issues,and need to build my blood up again,only time will tell good luck shirley

Old 09-11-2009, 09:38 PM   #8
(female)

Dragonomine HB User

I had the ablasion and then 2 yrs later I had a partial (uterus only) hysterestomy.

I didn't have heavy periods. I just spotted 3 out of 4 weeks. Needless to say, it was ruining my life. I also had fibroids. Usually they don't bother you, but mine were painful. So I chose to get the ablasion and absolutely loved it! Period and pain free! I would absolutely say try this method first. It's much less invasive. Less painful, faster healing time.

I got my hysterectomy 2 years later when I began to spot yet again. Can you believe it? After taking my uterus lining out? What blood was there to shed?? But alas, yes I began spotting again. So I called up my ob/gyn and told her look...I'm done having kids, don't need it, don't want it, take it out. So she did. Now that was 2 years ago. Very painful and slow recovery but again, I was thrilled w/ the results.

However yet again, once in a blue moon I will spot for a few days. I have no uterus!!! Ugh no idea what's going on but at this point I don't care anymore.

Old 09-11-2009, 10:35 PM   #9
(female)

tammykinz HB User

Quote:
I think they say not to lift anything heavier than a small grocery bag for 6-8 weeks so a daycare ...I don't know...with kids and stuff I would at least think 6 weeks. they can do abdominal or vaginal but given that you have such problems it will probably be abdominal. For me it took awhile because I also had hemorrhage and had to recover from all the blood loss. being put to sleep was the best part....I actually like that part. You close your eyes and next thing you know you are awake and it is done. not like when you go to sleep at night. the recovery pain wasn't too bad either. I had to sleep on my back, hurt to sleep on my side. but I had a laproscopy done which was like a very tiny incision at the umbilicus area and that hurt more because of location. I think you will be fine and you will feel so great. having no periods is truly a gift !!!

Old 09-11-2009, 10:37 PM   #10
(female)

tammykinz HB User

oh the laparoscopy was a differnt operation I had. my hysterectomy was abdominal with incision I guess 5 or 6 inches above the pubic area. I think that location isn't as painful as the lap was for me.

Old 09-12-2009, 06:18 AM   #11
(female)

mamaof2boys HB User

I had a c-section with my last child so I would imagine the recovery will be similar? It was pretty painful and took a while to recover from but nothing that I can't handle. It's reasurring to hear stories from other women who have had it done. I will probably give myself 6 weeks off, hopefully the parents will be understanding. The ablation doesn't really seem to have great results. It seems that either it doesn't work or it only works for a little while and then women have a hysterectomy anyways. I'm really looking forward to be period free. We were invited to my bil-'s campsite last weekend but didn't go because I had my period. I hate having to go anwhere for 8 days because i'm changing my pad every 45 minutes. I certainly won't miss that!! And because I have 3 boys (no girls) i'll never have to buy a pad again...LOL!
I think i'll opt for the abdominal hyst. I already have a scar and i've read that the abdominal has less complications. Due to the fibroids I don't think I would qualify for the other options anyways.

Last edited by mamaof2boys; 09-12-2009 at 06:20 AM. Reason: added

Old 09-12-2009, 07:46 AM   #12
(female)

Dragonomine HB User

Yes, the hysterectomy is very painful! And the laproscopic one that I had was supposed to be less! I can only imagine the other! I was down for at least 4 weeks and the pain was horrible. No lifting more than 10 lbs for 4 weeks, no pushing/pulling. No driving for at least a week I think it was. It was great having DH do all the housework and grocery shopping! But seriously, it takes a long time for your body to heal from it. You won't be up and dancing any time soon after.

Closed Thread