It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Hysterectomy Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-10-2009, 06:20 PM   #1
(female)

DoodleCT HB User
Slated for hysterectomy, cystocele and rectocele repair

Hi i am new at this. I really appreciate all of the information on these posts. I am slated for hysterectomy, cystocele and rectocele repair on Oct 19. I am very nervous after all the reading.

Background: I was so shocked to learn there was such a thing as a cystocele! I had my third large child normal delivery at 43 and it showed up thereafter. I have lived with it for 18 years but it was never that bad. I would go months without even thinking about it.

In the past year it got a lot worse. When I sit down it is like a little fish jumps back in there. I can't go around with my insides falling out. I don't have leaking but it is uncomfortable and getting worse generally.

One of my big issues is how fit I will be able to stay. I work out and have for years. Being fit is totally key to my life and my mental health. My MD is at Yale and he says I go back to a normal life after 6 weeks. I am not seeing that happen to a lot of people on this blog. So tell me--do I have a choice about this surgery? There are so many more serious health things, I feel like I should just suck it up? or is this going to wreck my normal life?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-11-2009, 01:34 AM   #2
(female)

helenm55 HB User
Re: BLADDER PROLAPSE - desperate for advice...

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoodleCT View Post
Hi i am new at this. I really appreciate all of the information on these posts. I am slated for hysterectomy, cystocele and rectocele repair on Oct 19. I am very nervous after all the reading.

Background: I was so shocked to learn there was such a thing as a cystocele! I had my third large child normal delivery at 43 and it showed up thereafter. I have lived with it for 18 years but it was never that bad. I would go months without even thinking about it.

In the past year it got a lot worse. When I sit down it is like a little fish jumps back in there. I can't go around with my insides falling out. I don't have leaking but it is uncomfortable and getting worse generally.

One of my big issues is how fit I will be able to stay. I work out and have for years. Being fit is totally key to my life and my mental health. My MD is at Yale and he says I go back to a normal life after 6 weeks. I am not seeing that happen to a lot of people on this blog. So tell me--do I have a choice about this surgery? There are so many more serious health things, I feel like I should just suck it up? or is this going to wreck my normal life?
Hi,
I also had three vaginal births my last one at age 35 he was a big baby. I had my bladder lifted in a sling at age 42 and a Hysterectomy at age 44 and now all this other prolapse repair done at age 55. I was extremly fit before I had my bladder repair and hysterectomy and my recovery was only six weeks for both of the surgeries and I was able to go back in the gym they were both a hugh success and I would certainly recommend having it done. I was no where near as fit before this last surgery and I am sure that has played a big part in why it has taken me so long to get over my surgery. My advice to you would be to have the surgery but stay as fit as you can before you go in and do exactly what the physio says from day 1 and I am sure you will be so glad you have had it done and back to working out in 6-8 weeks post-op.
good luck and please keep posting to let us know how you get on.
Love Helen x x x x

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-11-2009, 12:55 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

Martha H HB UserMartha H HB UserMartha H HB UserMartha H HB UserMartha H HB UserMartha H HB UserMartha H HB UserMartha H HB UserMartha H HB UserMartha H HB UserMartha H HB User
Re: Slated for hysterectomy, cystocele and rectocele repair

I also had 3 large babies ranging from 8 lbs 8 oz to 11 lbs 0 oz...

I only had the rectocele repaired, and some work done on the area between the rectal and vagina opening (pertitoneum). This was done 3 months ago and I have recovered really well. I can do just about anything. I swim, ride a bike, do exercises at Curves, walk, mind two grandchidren. I do try hard to avoid heavy lifting. Otherwise I am really fine.

Love,
Martha

Old 09-13-2009, 04:56 PM   #4
(female)

DoodleCT HB User
Re: BLADDER PROLAPSE - desperate for advice...

You sound great, and thanks very much for the words of encouragement!! it means so much to me! I have a plan for workouts, nutrition, stretching, r&r, accupuncture and getting to know a physical therapist between now and October 19!! (not to mention working and going to see my daughter in Cleveland for her 18th bday!) I will def share the journey-this site is terrific!

Old 09-13-2009, 05:00 PM   #5
(female)

DoodleCT HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martha H View Post
I also had 3 large babies ranging from 8 lbs 8 oz to 11 lbs 0 oz...

I only had the rectocele repaired, and some work done on the area between the rectal and vagina opening (pertitoneum). This was done 3 months ago and I have recovered really well. I can do just about anything. I swim, ride a bike, do exercises at Curves, walk, mind two grandchidren. I do try hard to avoid heavy lifting. Otherwise I am really fine.

Love,
Martha
thank you Martha, there are so many stories of outcomes that were less than ideal, I was starting to think I was making a mistake. I am trying to stay focused and not let this get out of perspective. But the nerves creep up on you. I will stay in touch and will probably have more questions going forward.

Old 09-15-2009, 01:50 PM   #6
(female)

jdsun HB User

Doodle,
I just found out today that I need a hysterectomy, cystocele and rectocele repair too! I am also very nervous just thinking about all of this. I had 2 vaginal deliveries, and both babies were just over 7 lbs. My cousin had these same exact issues, so I believe there is a genetic component to this.

I will be keeping my ovaries and the hysterectomy will be preformed by laporscoptic (sp?). He will then fix my prolapses and also recontruct my vaginal canal.

I am "only" 36 and feel like I am 80!!! I am waiting for the nurse to call back wtih a surgery date. I am hoping it is sooner than later before I lose the nerve to go through with this!

Please keep me posted on how you are doing. My friend just had the lap hysterectomy and she is 4 weeks post-op. She is doing great! That gives me lots of encouragement.

Jdsun

Old 09-17-2009, 04:07 PM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

Martha H HB UserMartha H HB UserMartha H HB UserMartha H HB UserMartha H HB UserMartha H HB UserMartha H HB UserMartha H HB UserMartha H HB UserMartha H HB UserMartha H HB User

I had only a rectocele repair a couple of mnths ago .. no hysterectomy ... but it was an easy operation with little pain. I will keep you in my prayers as you make your plans.
Martha

Old 09-18-2009, 06:29 PM   #8
(female)

DoodleCT HB User

Hi it is good to have someone anticipating this at the same time.
I am visiting my daughter at college more later.
Doodle

Old 09-18-2009, 06:31 PM   #9
(female)

DoodleCT HB User

When for you?

Old 09-21-2009, 02:10 PM   #10
(female)

jdsun HB User

Doodle-
I am having surgery next monday, Sept 28th. I am getting very VERY nervous.

Jdsun

Old 09-23-2009, 09:09 AM   #11
Senior Veteran
(female)

I had rectocele surgery in June and I recovered very fast. I was only in the hospital 2 nights, and was driving a car within a week, and able to exercise and ride my bike after 6 weeks. Everything healed well and I have no further problems. Good luck to you!

Love,

Martha

Old 09-23-2009, 02:05 PM   #12
(female)

jdsun HB User

Martha-Did you have hysterectomy too?

Jdsun

Old 09-23-2009, 06:53 PM   #13
(female)

DoodleCT HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdsun View Post
Doodle-
I am having surgery next monday, Sept 28th. I am getting very VERY nervous.

Jdsun
Hi JD,
Sorry for the slow reply! I am so following your progress. I was out in Ohio visiting my 18 year old who just started college. I will be waiting anxiously to hear how it goes. What is the expected stay in the hospital and what have they told you about recovery time?
Doodle

Old 09-24-2009, 04:20 AM   #14
Senior Veteran
(female)

No, only rectocele repair, and some peritoneum stitching to make it tighter and thus prevent rectocele from coming back. Hope all goes well for you next week.

Love,

Martha

Old 10-22-2009, 03:25 PM   #15
(female)

DoodleCT HB User
Thumbs up Re: Slated for hysterectomy, cystocele and rectocele repair

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martha H View Post
No, only rectocele repair, and some peritoneum stitching to make it tighter and thus prevent rectocele from coming back. Hope all goes well for you next week.

Love,

Martha
This is Doodle checking in. I had the surgery on Monday. I am doing much better than I expected (please note that I am a very dramatic person and wondered if I would live). i did have to come home with a catheter. The first 24 hours were bad because I never had surgery before. Then I have been feeling steadily better although def on slow speed which is novel and I am enjoying-like who ever gets two naps a day? Nothing is hanging out. Pain is very manageable. So I am living one day at a time and seeing what happens next. Hope you all are well and progressing too at whatever your own speed is.
Doodle

Closed Thread