It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Hysterectomy Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-07-2009, 07:07 PM   #16
(female)

Perifedup HB User
Re: Here I go again yet another prob - polyp

Thank you SO much Kszan!!! You've put my mind more at ease! I wasn't really all that bothered by the pinching of the pipelle going in for the biopsy so, if that's what it feels like (more or less), I can handle that for that second or two. I was worried about that and the saline as they said it would cause cramping. I was expecting it to be horrid cramping...like worse menstrual cramps type thing. With the uterine biopsy, it was a pinch, then some pretty "fiery" cramping for a couple of secs and it was over. I was worried about the saline because I know that it's going to be a few minutes worth to get the frames/shots they need so was worried it would be uncomfortable for a longer period of time.

They have also prescribed Doxycycline to take 2 hours prior to the test and said..."It may make you nauseous and cause vomiting". They said to take Gravol an hour prior to taking the antibiotic but, I have weird reactions to Gravol so, I'm bypassing it and hoping for the best or that I can tough it out if I do feel nauseous. It doesn't make the testing any easier when they're giving you meds that make you feel nauseous to begin with LOL. The doc who did the biopsy uses Misoprostol (Cytotec) prior to the biopsy to soften the cervix and also told me to take Gravol because it might cause nauseousness but, again I couldn't use it so, I went without but, had no problems with the nauseousness. Talk about CRAMPING though! Holy crow, that med causes cramping and bleeding and you have to insert two of those tabs 12 hours before the biopsy. I went in cramping and bleeding on top of the biopsy LOL. The prep med was worse than the test! LOL HOURS worth of prior cramping.

I'm sure that I'll have more questions as I go along and I'm working up my courage to pick up the phone and make that appointment.

THANK YOU for being here for those of us who are travelling through what you've already been through. It helps so much to have someone to talk about it with. It takes some of the fear out of it all.

HUGS!!!!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-07-2009, 07:27 PM   #17
Senior Veteran
(female)

Kszan HB UserKszan HB UserKszan HB UserKszan HB UserKszan HB UserKszan HB UserKszan HB UserKszan HB UserKszan HB UserKszan HB UserKszan HB User

You're welcome! I'm glad I could help! If you think of anything else, don't hesitate to ask.

I don't remember any cramping with the saline. I just remember it felt really weird having the water in there.

I've never had to take cytotec, but I've heard some women have. I guess it's something that some doctors use and others don't.

I think you'll be alright. Just let me know if you have any other questions!

Old 10-08-2009, 08:24 AM   #18
(female)

Perifedup HB User

Thank you Kszan! I so appreciate you being here.

I'm sure that I'll have more questions for you.

Thanks to you, I've just made my appointment. It's set for October 19th. I have the transvaginal ultrasound portion on the 15th, then the sonohysterogram on the 19th. I'm scared but, I keep thinking of you saying that you've been through it so many times and here you are, still walking and living to help those of us who are shaking in our boots over it! LOL

I will "pay this forward" by trying to help others in the same way that you are helping me through this. You don't know how appreciative I am for your help and being here for me! I won't be one of the ones that just totally disappears and doesn't give updates or keep in touch. I hate that when others do it.

HUGS!!!!

Old 10-08-2009, 01:13 PM   #19
Facilitator
(female)

MSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB User

Hi just an FYI. I had the sonohyesterogram done, and used Cytotec. Ive had really bad problems with trying to have biopsies and them not being able to get a good sample.
The test was easy as cake. I was terrified to use the Cytotec, which I was told to insert the night before...but other then some minimal cramping- I slept thru the night and had no real problems.
The test went much easier because I used it...and the test itself, didnt hurt nearly as badly as the biopsies they had attempted to do previously. I was up and about that night, with minimal problems.
The end result, is Im now trying to schedule a hysterectomy, but have been told "i have time" its not immediate and urgent...
Good luck to you....its not soo very bad ..
Nikki

Old 10-08-2009, 07:08 PM   #20
(female)

Perifedup HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by MSNik View Post
Hi just an FYI. I had the sonohyesterogram done, and used Cytotec. Ive had really bad problems with trying to have biopsies and them not being able to get a good sample.
The test was easy as cake. I was terrified to use the Cytotec, which I was told to insert the night before...but other then some minimal cramping- I slept thru the night and had no real problems.
The test went much easier because I used it...and the test itself, didnt hurt nearly as badly as the biopsies they had attempted to do previously. I was up and about that night, with minimal problems.
The end result, is Im now trying to schedule a hysterectomy, but have been told "i have time" its not immediate and urgent...
Good luck to you....its not soo very bad ..
Nikki

Thank you MSNik for your response as well. It really helps to bolster my courage to go and do these tests to hear from others who have had it done and been ok.

I have no idea why I'm so worried about this since I've already had a biopsy and did fine with it. Maybe, I'm just wearing thin on patience and nerve now as well as developing white coat phobia LOL? I'm going tomorrow (Friday) to get the results of my thyroid biopsy & ultrasound done a week after the uterine biopsy. Oh what fun! LOL

With the Sonohysterogram, I won't be using the Misoprostol this time because they are not prescribing it. The doc I had do the biopsy did prescribe it. I had some pretty uncomfortable cramping with it as well as a light flow of bleeding. Perhaps, it's due to the fact that I haven't had any menstrual cramping for so long and have forgotten what it's like??? I didn't sleep well that night. Part of it might have been the worry/anxiety over the biopsy??? However, I'm sure that it must have helped because it was done and over so quickly.

I'm wondering if the catheter used in the Sonohysterogram is thinner than the pipelle used for the biopsy? The reason I'm wondering is because they didn't even think of using the Misoprostol for this and yet, they still have to enter the cervix into the uterus in the same fashion. Hmmmm??? I guess if I reach out and grab the doc's hair with a good yank and a yell, I'll know that I should have asked for the Misoprostol again, huh?!

Thanks again! It really helps!!! I'm getting braver.

Old 11-03-2009, 02:06 PM   #21
(female)

malikaah HB User

Does anyone know about pregnancy with polyps? I dont have any problems with my cycle every month but I had an ultrasound 2years ago whcih was fine but a year later it came back with a hemmoraghic cyst on left ovary with endometrial polyp. And I am like whataat? All this within a year? I was put on bcp for 5 months but still the same. Also have mild endometriosis but I really dont have problems. Done one laproscopy. But does anyone know if the chances of kids is impossible ?? Thanks.,

Old 01-20-2010, 08:16 AM   #22
(female)

Perifedup HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by malikaah View Post
Does anyone know about pregnancy with polyps? I dont have any problems with my cycle every month but I had an ultrasound 2years ago whcih was fine but a year later it came back with a hemmoraghic cyst on left ovary with endometrial polyp. And I am like whataat? All this within a year? I was put on bcp for 5 months but still the same. Also have mild endometriosis but I really dont have problems. Done one laproscopy. But does anyone know if the chances of kids is impossible ?? Thanks.,
I'm sorry that we missed your question and I hope that by now, you've gotten your answer from your doc????

From what I understand in literature I've read on the net, a uterine polyp *may* cause infertility problems. They will often go in and remove the polyp just to ensure that it doesn't interfere with a pregnancy....although, it hasn't been proven one way or the other whether it does truly affect fertility if the polyp is small. Larger ones seemingly can interfere.

Old 01-20-2010, 08:20 AM   #23
(female)

Perifedup HB User

UPDATE if anyone is still reading this thread.

I had my sonohysterogram done and as Kszan has said...it was nothing! I really didn't feel a thing. Maybe, I just had a great doctor who was really skilled at it but, I'd not have any reservations about doing it again if I had to have it done again...other than time off of work to get it done.

They did find 2 larger polyps that my gyn wants to remove. She said that she'd also like to do an ablation at the same time to ensure they won't grow back again, which I've agreed to have done. I'm waiting for a surgery date but, as of now, she figures it won't be until March or even April as she is backed up on surgeries and I'm not considered a "rush" or "urgent" case.

Anyone still reading this that can tell me about the ablation portion of this surgery?

Old 01-20-2010, 05:25 PM   #24
Facilitator
(female)

MSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB UserMSNik HB User

There are several types of ablation surgery availalbe. I had NovaSure done...which is actually like microwaving your uterus and lining. I had it done due to excessive heavy periods which were uncontrollable. For me, it didnt work.
I was alseep when they did my ablation- so I dont remember much, but its basically a wand which has radioactive heat, which basically sears your insides, thus making scar tissue everywhere...I woke up fine. Alot of discharge for almost 2 weeks. No sex or hot baths for 6 weeks, but no problems aftewards- except I bled like crazy and continued to do so. They say you might bleed heavily for up to a month; but it should subside..almost 2 years later, Im facing a hysterectomy. In case they didnt tell you, its very dangerous to get pregnant after ablation, so be sure you know all of that.

Another thing that they dont tell you about any ablation, is if you ever need to have any biopsies done- its basically impossible. Ive now had 6 biospies done of what they now believe is a fibroid, but for a year- scared me saying they didnt know what it was...each biopsy showed insufficient tissue,due to the amount of scar tissue.....so, now Im still not sure what is growing inside me, and am electing to have the hysterectomy just to be sure! Talk to your doctor about all of this and make sure its what you want to do...to be honest, I would never recommend anyone having any type of ablation- there are so many things I wasnt told before hand, and I know so many people who had it done and wish they hadnt.
good luck to you....
N

Old 01-21-2010, 02:05 PM   #25
(female)

Perifedup HB User

MSNick...wow, you've been through a lot! I guess that I would also opt for the hysterectomy and be over and done with it all rather than going on and on and on with things and worrying. I'm sure that it's likely a fibroid and everything is fine but, as you've said, being "sure" is peace of mind. At the least, you'll be done with the bleeding for good!

For me, it's not heavy bleeding that's the problem as I'm spotting on and off. I have 2 polyps (as likey the cause of that spotting) that she said needs to be removed and while she's in there, she said that she wanted to do the ablation so that the polyps don't grow back again. So, it's more of a preventative measure than to stop heavy bleeding.

You've brought up an excellent point though! If they destroy the uterine lining, how do they get samples of the lining after that??? That's a question that I need to ask!! Thank you for bringing that up!

As for getting pregnant.....LOL....I'm 53 years old so that "vessel" is closed for business for good now LOL! :

So, I shouldn't panic over the surgery then? It's not that bad? I'm not sure which method she will be using but, she said that she will NOT be using the balloon as it's "blind". I don't know what other kinds there are. If you know, please share with me.

Thank you for responding!

Closed Thread