It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Hysterectomy Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-25-2009, 04:38 AM   #1
(female)

kimiesoscared HB User
Angry Here I go again yet another prob - polyp

I went for my pap and while speaking to the dr I mentioned I have been spotting a few days before my period is due-She said this is not normal (of course-nothing with me is) and sent me for a ultrasound to rule out fibroids. I went yest and told by the nice tech that I don't have fibroids but I have a polyp - oh yippie I think I prefer the fibroid because that is quite common polyp not so common to me anyway. So I ask what is next and is this cancerous - she said no it does not appear cancerous and these polyps are usually benign not to worry-well that isn't going to happen does she not know who I am - Ms worry wart. She said I would prob need a D/C. I must vent how fed up I am first, HPV, ACSUS pap and now a polyp. I am 42 and never have been able to get pregnant so this body of mine does not do what it is supposed to do but it gives me this mess. I wish I was a freaken man sometimes. So now I am scared, a nervous mess and have to wait for the first week of Oct to speak with my doctor. I am so stressed you could not believe-sorry but I just can't help it. Worry Wart I am. Any advice would be helpful thanks.

Old 09-25-2009, 05:03 AM   #2
Inactive
(female)

Tivo123 HB UserTivo123 HB UserTivo123 HB UserTivo123 HB User
Re: Here I go again yet another prob - polyp

If you had a choice of a polyp or a fibroid, it would be easier to have a polyp because removing that is very easy. The doc just has to go in and snip the little stalk and the polyp is gone. But removing a fibroid is a LOT harder because those grow into the tissue much deeper and sometimes they can't be removed because of how deeply they are grown into the tissue. And fibroids grow rather large also, whereas polyps don't get that big.

My sister has had this procedure to remove polyps done many times. Each time I have been with her in the hospital. It's no big deal at all. She is the biggest baby about this stuff and yet she is able to handle it each time without any problems. If someone like her, who fears needles and anesthesia and everything else can handle it then you should have no problems.

It's better to get the polyp removed because otherwise you'll have the spotting continue and it will annoying you and it will put a huge damper on your sex life. Just do it and you'll be glad it's gone. But don't worry about it, there's literally nothing to be afraid of with this surgery. It's so easy that even my chicken sister has had it done a number of times!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-25-2009, 06:35 AM   #3
(female)

kimiesoscared HB User

Maybe we are related because I am just as scared of all those things just like your sister by biggest fear like most is cancer and everytime I find out I have any little thing this is what I think about first. They can tell me it is 99% non cancerous and 1 % chance of cancer and I will focus on the damn 1% I am so scared it takes over my mind sometimes. Thanks for your words they truly truly help.

Old 09-25-2009, 07:41 PM   #4
(female)

kimiesoscared HB User
Re: Here I go again yet another prob - polyp part II

Dr. called me today after having transvaginal sonsonohysterography o yest. which scared me because that was quick. She said everything overall looks fine but of course there is always a butt they suggested I do a sonohysteroprahpy with some saline stuff because they think it is a polyp but it is so tiny they can not truly see it and this will give them a clearer pix. Uggghhh does it end. I then asked her is this a bad thing like cancer and she reassured me that was not something I need to think about and she doubted that very much. She explained it is up to me if I want to do this other test and I agreed that I would because as much as I hate this crap I rather be safe than sorry. Since I am also up there in age 42 and never had children and want 1 at least if possible I figure it is best to do this now because I am truly running out of time. I have not been able to get pregnant and the doctors don't know why because we have both been checked and nothing has come up but that was a few years ago and now I want to try one last time. So lets see what happens-I am soooooo sick of this.

Old 09-30-2009, 01:34 PM   #5
(female)

Perifedup HB User
Re: Here I go again yet another prob - polyp part II

Quote:
Originally Posted by kimiesoscared View Post
Dr. called me today after having transvaginal sonsonohysterography o yest. which scared me because that was quick. She said everything overall looks fine but of course there is always a butt they suggested I do a sonohysteroprahpy with some saline stuff because they think it is a polyp but it is so tiny they can not truly see it and this will give them a clearer pix. Uggghhh does it end. I then asked her is this a bad thing like cancer and she reassured me that was not something I need to think about and she doubted that very much. She explained it is up to me if I want to do this other test and I agreed that I would because as much as I hate this crap I rather be safe than sorry. Since I am also up there in age 42 and never had children and want 1 at least if possible I figure it is best to do this now because I am truly running out of time. I have not been able to get pregnant and the doctors don't know why because we have both been checked and nothing has come up but that was a few years ago and now I want to try one last time. So lets see what happens-I am soooooo sick of this.

Kimmie...I hope that you're still reading this thread because I'd like to know how you made out!

I had an endometrial biopsy done in August and got the results last week. (Yeah, long time to be in torture). I had it done because my ultrasound came back with a thickened endometrial lining (16 mm's). Thankfully, it came back "good news" but, during the biopsy, they also picked up fragments of a polyp and figures that it may be the cause of my neverending spotting (light and on and off since April). I'm waiting for an appointment for a sonohysterogram (the saline infusion ultrasound) now. She said that if there is still polyps, she will do a hysteroscopy in hospital to remove whatever polyps may be there. I'm assuming that they are benign as well since the fragments of the polyps were there in the biopsy sample and I'm assuming that they'd also done that to get the "good" label. But, I'm spotting even more now since the biopsy. She said that if it isn't the polyps causing the spotting, it may just be my body's way of ending off. I somehow doubt that the fragments were the totality of the polyp/polyps so, I'm sure that I have a chance of ending up in an O.R. to have whatever removed.

Please update us on how you made out with the sonohysterogram and if you have had anything further done and how it all went. I am very much like you...a total worry-wart!

Last edited by Perifedup; 09-30-2009 at 01:37 PM.

Old 09-30-2009, 01:43 PM   #6
(female)

Perifedup HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by kimiesoscared View Post
Maybe we are related because I am just as scared of all those things just like your sister by biggest fear like most is cancer and everytime I find out I have any little thing this is what I think about first. They can tell me it is 99% non cancerous and 1 % chance of cancer and I will focus on the damn 1% I am so scared it takes over my mind sometimes. Thanks for your words they truly truly help.
Kimmie...if this helps....I was told that only 1% of polyps before the age of 65or those that are found during perimenopause are cancerous. It's rare for uterine polyps during this stage of things to be cancerous so, take heart and relax a bit. I'm holding onto that otherwise, a psychiatric ward will be my next stop!!! White coats with arms that tie in the back aren't my idea of a fashion statement so, I'm sticking to those figures and reassurance.

Old 09-30-2009, 01:51 PM   #7
(female)

kimiesoscared HB User
Unhappy Re: Here I go again yet another prob - polyp

Yes I will definitely give an update - I scheduled hysteroscopy - unfortunately they said it has to be scheduled a week after period because that is the best time to see the lining-ugggh meaning my appt for hysteroscopy if for ending of October-so another few weeks of simply waiting. In addition, I am waiting for my pap results/hpv to come in and hopefuly pap is normal and HPV is still dormant - and the good news is this coming week I go for a Mammo - yippie - I'm so happy happy happy-NOT I TRULY HATE THIS CRAP. This is so scary but what can I do. One of my co-workers never has gone for a pap/mammo and she is 43 and she said she never will and she is as happy as can be - I am checking all this stuff and I feel miserable, afraid and sooooo fed up - I just want to have normal results - seems like everyone in my circle can not truly relate because all their tests are normal and I always have some stuff going on. Anyway sorry I am happy everything worked out for you and I wish you the best - sorry for venting but I am so fed up with all this I just want to live worry free-if that is at all possible.

Old 09-30-2009, 01:53 PM   #8
(female)

kimiesoscared HB User

I will join you at the ward -LOL thanks so much I heard the same statistics so that is good news. Thanks so much!!!

Old 09-30-2009, 06:58 PM   #9
Senior Veteran
(female)

Kszan HB UserKszan HB UserKszan HB UserKszan HB UserKszan HB UserKszan HB UserKszan HB UserKszan HB UserKszan HB UserKszan HB UserKszan HB User

I feel your pain. Do a search on this womens health board and you'll see all of my posts about my repeated polyp removal surgeries.

The first year my doc found the polyp, I had it removed only to have another one less than 6 months later removed! The following year I had another one removed. This year I had a 4th one removed! All were done in the hospital with me under MAC anesthesia except once when I got general cause the anesthesiologist was a bit of a pill.

As my sis posted to you earlier in the thread, I truly am a big baby when it comes to hospitals and particularly surgeries. But now I've had this done 4 times in the last 4 years and I'm not scared anymore. Except the IV still scares me but the procedure itself is nothing cause you're out.

Every time I've gone in to get this done, my gyne says to me in the operating room, "We gotta stop meeting like this! But I hope its the last time for you!" But then inevitably, I get another one. I'm about due for another one at this point so we'll see what she says about it.

But my point is that I completely understand your frustration! Every subsequent time I've had to go through this, I've gotten so mad! But I have gotten through it and I'm fine even though I hate hospitals and all that stuff.

You'll be fine! You just need to believe me because I'm an expert on this surgery at this point and I know what I'm talking about! Don't worry because even the recovery is a breeze. Its no big deal at all.

Old 10-01-2009, 07:28 AM   #10
(female)

kimiesoscared HB User

Hi, Thanks for your extremely encouraging words they truly help. I am scared and in all honesty fed up with my VJJ and all my insides at this point - sometimes I wish I was a man but hubby may not be too happy with this but anyway thank you for your words, your strength and I hope everyone works out for you too and that from this day foward you never ever get another polyp because enough is enough! Thanks so much

Old 10-06-2009, 06:07 PM   #11
(female)

Perifedup HB User

Kimie...I know what you mean about being fed right up with this stuff (thus my nick LOL) I've had enough too and I'd certainly be fed right up if I were Kszan. Kszan...I'm SO sorry that you've had to endure so much! It doesn't seem fair, does it?

Kimie, at least with the hysteroscope, they'll be able to remove any polyps at the same time....at least, I think they will??? Your co-worker who has never gone for a PAP may find herself in trouble down the road because we never know what is going on until symptoms appear and for some things, it might be at an advanced stage when they do finally look at problems. I so hope that she will consider a PAP very soon. I get one every year...or, year and a half at the latest. I also go through my mammograms and blood work, ECG and whatever else they ask me to do...well....I've tried to dodge the routine 50 year old colonscopy but, have agreed each year thus far to the Fecal Occult Blood Test. I go every 6 months for my dental cleaning and check up and every 2 years maximum now for my eyes. I'm being a "good girl" LOL

The one thing that I will say is that it seems the more you go to a doctor, the more they will find wrong to test! ROFLMAO!! My grandmother rarely went to a doctor. She had to feel like she was dying before she'd go. She lived until she was nearly 95 LOL.

Thus far, I've put off making the appointment for my sonohysterogram for 1 week. I just got through a thyroid biopsy 2 weeks ago, an appointment for the results of my endometrial biopsy a week and a bit ago and I really needed a rest from tests. I go to see my endocrine surgeon on Friday of this week to see where I go next with my thyroid issues. And, at some point, I need surgery on both eyes for cataracts (yeah, really early but, the docs figure it is genetic and likely, I was born with the tendency for them to form. Once formed about 20 years ago and is only now progressing). So, I have quite a bit of "White Coat Phobia" now. It takes me a lot of courage to get to appointments now and tests. I'm wearing down and am just about at the end of my rope with all of this worry and fear.

Kszan...I admire your tenacity and your words have helped me tremendously as well. If I have to have polyps removed....I guess I won't be quite so terrified now, hearing your story. The doc said that if I do have polyps, she will give me the choice of sedation or general. I think I'd rather have the sedation than the general....less complications?? Can you fill me in on that aspect of things and your experiences with both, please?

And, have you had a sonohysterogram? What's it like? I've had the uterine biopsy and didn't find it too bad at all. I wouldn't want it every day....but, it's certainly not as bad as some women have made it out to be on the net LOL!

Thanks Ladies! It helps to have others in the same boat, rowing with the same oars, trying to get the Paradise (no more uterine problems! LOL)

Old 10-07-2009, 06:11 AM   #12
(female)

Sisterwayne HB UserSisterwayne HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kszan View Post
I feel your pain. Do a search on this womens health board and you'll see all of my posts about my repeated polyp removal surgeries.

The first year my doc found the polyp, I had it removed only to have another one less than 6 months later removed! The following year I had another one removed. This year I had a 4th one removed! All were done in the hospital with me under MAC anesthesia except once when I got general cause the anesthesiologist was a bit of a pill.

As my sis posted to you earlier in the thread, I truly am a big baby when it comes to hospitals and particularly surgeries. But now I've had this done 4 times in the last 4 years and I'm not scared anymore. Except the IV still scares me but the procedure itself is nothing cause you're out.

Every time I've gone in to get this done, my gyne says to me in the operating room, "We gotta stop meeting like this! But I hope its the last time for you!" But then inevitably, I get another one. I'm about due for another one at this point so we'll see what she says about it.

But my point is that I completely understand your frustration! Every subsequent time I've had to go through this, I've gotten so mad! But I have gotten through it and I'm fine even though I hate hospitals and all that stuff.

You'll be fine! You just need to believe me because I'm an expert on this surgery at this point and I know what I'm talking about! Don't worry because even the recovery is a breeze. Its no big deal at all.
Hi - can you give me some information about sedation and this procedure? I have to go at the end of October to have a D+C and polyp removal. My doctor told me I would be sedated, but not general anesthesia. I am very worried I will feel pain. She tried to remove this polyp with local anesthesia to my cervix. That part was OK but once she was inside my uterus and poking around the pain was so bad she had to stop the procedure. So that's why I now have to go to a surgical center to have this done under sedation. I understand the sedation part, but it's not clear to me how that will inhibit the pain. I didn't think sedation alone would inhibit the pain. Perhaps they will also give me something to kill the pain????

Can you be specific on what your anesthesia was?

Old 10-07-2009, 07:24 AM   #13
Senior Veteran
(female)

Kszan HB UserKszan HB UserKszan HB UserKszan HB UserKszan HB UserKszan HB UserKszan HB UserKszan HB UserKszan HB UserKszan HB UserKszan HB User

The MAC or Twilight or whatever you want to call it sedation is really easy. I prefer it personally over general because you don't have to get a breathing tube, you are still breathing on your own. Basically, they shoot up your IV with Versed, which puts you to sleep. Next thing you know, you're waking up in recovery and you're done. And no sore throat like with general because you didn't have to have a breathing tube. It's really, really easy and I had it done 3 times that way. That is always my preference when I go have this procedure done.

The other thing I want to make sure to mention is regarding nausea afterwards. If you're at concerned about nausea when you wake up then tell every person in charge of your treatment, ALL OF THEM, that you want every possible medication, before during and after the procedure, to prevent yourself from getting sick off the anesthesia. I always tell them that, I am very adamant about it and I keep telling them that, so they always give me a ton of stuff to prevent that from happening. And I've been just fine. I have had these 4 surgeries plus my tonsils and gall bladder out in the last 4 years and I've not gotten sick after any of them because of how vocal I was with everyone about making sure to give me everything they had to prevent me from getting sick. The meds they have for anti-nausea are really strong stuff and it works but you just have to make sure they understand that it's a major concern of yours and they will take care of it.

I wouldn't be at all afraid of the sedation part. Honestly that's probably the easiest part of the whole thing. For me the hardest part of all of this is getting the IV put in. But once that's done I'm fine. They literally put the Versed in your IV and less than 5 minutes you're totally asleep and don't feel anything. Well, actually the most recent time I had it done, I remember feeling like a gentle rocking sensation as if I was in a hammock or something but it was no big deal. Other than that, you feel nothing until they are waking you up in recovery. The Versed is a strong amnesiac drug to help you forget what happened and it's what makes you feel like you just fell asleep as you are waking up in recovery so you feel like no time has passed at all. The more I had this done the more I thought it was really interesting that I could have slept for an hour or more and not remembered any of it only to wake up feeling like I had just fell asleep a second ago. It's nothing to fear, it's really very interesting.

I hope that helps you all with your questions. Feel free to ask me anything else about it. Like I said, I am such a pro at this surgery, I know all there is to know about it!

Old 10-07-2009, 09:44 AM   #14
(female)

Perifedup HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kszan View Post
The MAC or Twilight or whatever you want to call it sedation is really easy. I prefer it personally over general because you don't have to get a breathing tube, you are still breathing on your own. Basically, they shoot up your IV with Versed, which puts you to sleep. Next thing you know, you're waking up in recovery and you're done. And no sore throat like with general because you didn't have to have a breathing tube. It's really, really easy and I had it done 3 times that way. That is always my preference when I go have this procedure done.

The other thing I want to make sure to mention is regarding nausea afterwards. If you're at concerned about nausea when you wake up then tell every person in charge of your treatment, ALL OF THEM, that you want every possible medication, before during and after the procedure, to prevent yourself from getting sick off the anesthesia. I always tell them that, I am very adamant about it and I keep telling them that, so they always give me a ton of stuff to prevent that from happening. And I've been just fine. I have had these 4 surgeries plus my tonsils and gall bladder out in the last 4 years and I've not gotten sick after any of them because of how vocal I was with everyone about making sure to give me everything they had to prevent me from getting sick. The meds they have for anti-nausea are really strong stuff and it works but you just have to make sure they understand that it's a major concern of yours and they will take care of it.

I wouldn't be at all afraid of the sedation part. Honestly that's probably the easiest part of the whole thing. For me the hardest part of all of this is getting the IV put in. But once that's done I'm fine. They literally put the Versed in your IV and less than 5 minutes you're totally asleep and don't feel anything. Well, actually the most recent time I had it done, I remember feeling like a gentle rocking sensation as if I was in a hammock or something but it was no big deal. Other than that, you feel nothing until they are waking you up in recovery. The Versed is a strong amnesiac drug to help you forget what happened and it's what makes you feel like you just fell asleep as you are waking up in recovery so you feel like no time has passed at all. The more I had this done the more I thought it was really interesting that I could have slept for an hour or more and not remembered any of it only to wake up feeling like I had just fell asleep a second ago. It's nothing to fear, it's really very interesting.

I hope that helps you all with your questions. Feel free to ask me anything else about it. Like I said, I am such a pro at this surgery, I know all there is to know about it!

Thank you for all of that as I'm not sure whether I'll be heading for polyp removal or not....depends upon the results of the sonohysterogram (I've yet to book it...bad girl....procrastinating for a couple of weeks).

Could you tell me if you've had a sonohysterogram (saline infusion ultrasound) and what it feels like? Should I be scared? I've had a uterine biopsy and found it not horrible....not something I'd want done every day but, not the horror I've read about on the net. If you could help me by sharing that with me, maybe I could force myself to actually make this appointment now!

Old 10-07-2009, 10:53 AM   #15
Senior Veteran
(female)

Yes, I have had the saline ultrasound done each time to diagnose the polyp. It's the only way for them to see it since the uterine wall commonly sits flat and you could only see the polyp when they fill it up with the saline.

That's pretty easy, too. They have to lay back on the table in the same position you do for a pelvic exam. The doctor inserts a catheter type thing through your cervix (which does hurt a little but if you'd had a biopsy then it's not much worse than that) and fills up the uterus with saline. It feels cold and a little weird but not that horrible. And then they look for the polyp on the screen and let you know if it's there. Then they let the water out in a little tray below the table and you're all set.

Quite honestly it feels weird but not something to be afraid of. The very first time I had it done I was freaking out because I didn't know what to expect. But since I've had it done now so many times, I know it's not as big of a deal as I made it out to be. The part that is most uncomfortable is when the doc threads the catheter through your cervix. As I said, the pinching sensation is very much like a biopsy type feeling. And it feels weird when the water is inside, too. But overall it's really not a big deal at all. You'll be fine, I'm sure.

I'm telling you, I'm such a huge baby about all of this stuff. But I went through it multiple times and I'm still here to tell you about it. That's why I tell you not to worry because I'm sure it will be no problem for you.

Closed Thread