It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Hysterectomy Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-29-2009, 02:28 PM   #1
(female)

nickkinix HB User
rectocele / cystocele advice please?!?

Hi all, Im due to have a laparascopic ventral rectopexy operation on jan 11th, Im starting to get a bit concerned though as they are supposed to be sorting out my cystocele at the same time but no-one has mentioned this. Is it normal to have the two things done separately? I also need a bladder sling so suspect this may be done with the cystocele repair. Anyone had similar problems?
I was also wondering how long I should expect to be in hospital? Im in the UK so its being done on the good old NHS if that makes any difference?!
I have quite a stressful job and rarely sit down! I run a very busy reprographics (photocopying!) department single handedly in a school which requires lots of heavy lifting, bending, pulling and running around like a loon! I am worried that this will undo all the work done by the surgeon so can anyone give me an idea of how long I am likely to be off work? They will need to get someone in to temporarily cover me, but I would like to give them an idea of timeframes before my pre-op on the 5th Jan.
If anyone can offer any advice I would be very grateful.
Best wishes and a happy new year to you all

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-05-2010, 05:54 PM   #2
(female)

jenh1984 HB User
Re: rectocele / cystocele advice please?!?

You should expect to be off for a minimum of 6 weeks up to 12 weeks

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-06-2010, 02:20 PM   #3
(female)

jdsun HB User

Three months ago, I had a laparscopic hysterctomy where they removed my uterus and cervix. In addition, they repaired my rectocele/cystocele prolapses,gave me a bladder sling, and did some internal vaginal repair work (due to my prolapses). So basically, i had 3 surgeries in one (hysterectomy, bladder sling and prolapse repair). I don't want to scare you, but it was a pretty large surgery and the healing time was quite large. I did have one complication during my surgery...my bladder was punctured so I ended up coming home with a catheter for 10 days. However, my cousin had her prolpase repair surgery and she came home with a catheter as well and her bladder was not punctured.

Basically, I was instructed not to lift anything over 5lbs for a few weeks. I also have a very bad back, so I don't normally lift anyways. So, i didn't pay that much attention to that restriction (I knew i would not be lifting). I stayed in the hospital for 2 days and was on a morphine pain pump. The pain was pretty severe and I was glad I had the pump.

You really need to talk to your surgeon and ask him these questions. He will be able to tell you exactly what work he will be doing and the recovery time. There are different methods of doing things, so depending on his method, that could change your recovery time.

In addition to this surgery, I had a second surgery on Monday!!! Believe it or not, but I had a cyst develop on my ovary that twisted my ovary...ouch! So, they took out my right ovary and tube via laparscopic surgery. This was a much smaller surgery, but I am actually in a good amount of pain. Not surgical pain, but the gas from the laparscopic surgery is really getting to me this time. Last time, I didn't feel it at all! Weird!!!

Anyway, if you have any other questions, please let me know. I wish you the best of luck with your surgery and that you have a quick recovery.

Jdsun

Old 01-07-2010, 02:01 AM   #4
(female)

nickkinix HB User

Thanks for the replies. I had my pre-op assessment the day before yesterday but the nurse couldnt tell me anything as 'it depends on what they find when they get in there'!!
I was supposed to be back in work this week, but due to the snow they have shut the schools including the one I work in. Most people would be pleased to have an extended Christmas break, but Id rather be in work not sat at home worrying about the surgery, and if or not it will even be done!!!! Hopefully the surgeons wont be snowed in!!!
Hope your recovery is going well after your recent lap, the gas sounds the worst part!!!! Its gotta come out somewhere, just hope it comes out as a burp rather than something else haha!
Well best sign off for a bit, I need to go buy some slippers!!!
Take care!!!

Old 01-18-2010, 09:53 AM   #5
(female)

clynnk HB User

I'm just finishing up all of my testing. So far they told me that I will have to have rectocele/cystocele repair with mesh and a bladder sling. My last test will be on Jan 20th. I'm beginning to get very nervous. I'm not really good with pain. Are you awake doing surgery or asleep. Is it usually 8 weeks that you are off work? Surgery isn't scheduled yet. Was anyone in alot of discomfort before surgery? I work in a factory and the longer the day goes the more you walk with your legs apart and the more discomfort you have. I guess I'm just looking for someone to help ease my mind.

Old 01-20-2010, 01:07 PM   #6
(female)

jdsun HB User

Yes you are asleep. During my surgery, I had the cystocele, rectocele, bladder sling with mesh and a hysterectomy that removed my uterus and cervix. My surgery lasted about 4 hours. I was asleep before I even got in the operating room. The last thing I remember is a nurse telling me she was going to give me something to relax me I won't lie...I woke up in pain. But again, I had the hysterectomy part too. I was in the hospital for 2 days. I had a morphine pump that was my life saver!!! I also had to go home with a catheter for 10 days. It sounds worse than it is....more of a nuisance than anything. I have a great husband who helped me with this. I was pretty much in bed for about the first 10 days. The I started to feel better slowly. I will say it took about a good 4 weeks to start feeling normal again. Oh..and yes, the pressure from standing all day does hurt because of your prolapses. You will feel much better once they fix them!!

Jdsun

Old 01-21-2010, 08:52 AM   #7
(female)

clynnk HB User

Thanks so much for you imput. Had another test yesterday and they are scheduling me for a cystscope test then will have the surgery. I figure it will be another month before they schedule the surgery. Thanks again for you help will keep you posted.

Old 07-25-2010, 12:56 PM   #8
(female)

Thefuturewaits HB User

Hi..same problem and surgery to place mesh sling has been scheduled. HOWEVER, changed MY mind....I will not do this procedure now. Went on Science Direct through my college and was shocked to discover what is sitll NOT known about the long-term effects of this procedure (including recent FDA recalls of some specific mesh materials and kits), and what techniques to use for which type of prolapse! USC has information regarding ROBOTIC laparascopy and the potential for it to revolutionize the care of cystocele, retocele, herniation, etc.. I have decided to opt for suturing. This will, no doubt, not last....BUT may buy me time to see the Robotic techniques develop (for the repeat down the road). There IS NOT even any standardized procedure within the different medical specialties (Urogynecologists, urologists, ob/gyn surgeons) about WHAT type of mesh works best, what actual cure rates are beyond 2-5 years, how long one should be REALLY inactive after this surgery (one guy recommended 2 months!). Surgeons readily agree, in professional articles, that interventions for prolapse is still a developing art. HOWEVER, SKILL OF THE SURGEON still seems to be the most important factor. But, even then, law suits are proliferating related to vaginal, bowel, etc. erosion from the mesh! Be careful with yourself, if you had this procedure....give it a LONG time before you are "active" and engage in sex!

Old 09-14-2010, 07:35 AM   #9
(female)

locorabbit HB User

I'm 53 yrs old. Just had urethral sling, cystocele and rectocele repair. surgery was at 2:00 and was discharged from hospital at 6 with packing and catheter in place. told to remove it myself the next morning. anyone else have that experience? I live alone, and having to get up caused pain and vomiting the entire first night. I don't know what to expect or what is normal. Have just been told to "take it easy" which leaves room for broad interpretation. Also, I now have incontincence of urine at night which I never had before. This is jacked up!

Closed Thread