It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Hysterectomy Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-01-2010, 03:33 PM   #1
(female)

jdsun HB User
Complication after Hysterectomy Surgery..help!

About 13 weeks ago I had a laparscopic hysterectomy where they removed my uterus and cervix. This was done because I had a condition (forget the name) where my uterus was enlarged and causing me very painful periods. Also during this surgery, I had a posterior and anterior prolapse repair (that were server), a bladder sling, and vaginal reconstruction. It was a tough surgery. I was in soooo much pain when I woke up and for 3 days after. They had to keep me at the hospital an extra day because they could not get my pain under control.

Well, things were healing...slowly. I was still very tender inside my vagina so my Dr. presribed Estrogen cream. I used it 2 days, then BAMMMM..woke up on the second day in sooooo much pain.

I ened up in the ER 2x last week. I had really bad pain in my right lower stomach/side/back area. Doctors thought I had kindney stones. They gave me a CT scan. This showed no stones but a large mass by my ovary and some fluid. They sent me right back to the ER and a sonogram showed I had 2 small functional cysts on my ovaries and some fluid. So, they all assumed I had a cyst that ruptured. At this point my pain was gone...so everyone seemed happy with that.

Pain returned big time. OBGYN did an ultrasound in their office and found a large mass on my ovary. This is where I get scared. They have never seen anything like it. It is like 7cm or something. THey said it is not a functional cyst, but it does not look like caner. They told me that 5x because i was so scared. The ER doctors thought originally I had an abcess by my ovary due to my surgical past. But my OBGYN does not think it is an abcess since I have not been ill since my surgery and have no fever.

So, I am am scheduled for a laparscopic surgery on Monday morning to remove the right ovary with the mass on it. I am scared that it is cancer. But again, my OBGYN insits that it is not. He said cancer does not grow that fast in 3 months. It was NOT there during my original surgery.

I have a feeling it is an abcess. Maybe that explains why I was in sooooo much pain right after the surgery? He did tell me that first night in the hospital that I had TONS of adhesions around my right ovary and he spent a deal of time cleaning them out. So, I know he was working in that area a lot. Could he have knicked something causing the abcess? I have a friend whose appendix ruptured and sealed itself into a big abcess that was eventually discovered 4 months after her appendix ruptured.

Any thoughts anyone?????? I am quite scared.

THanks.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-02-2010, 05:48 AM   #2
(female)

Chocolicious HB User
Re: Complication after Hysterectomy Surgery..help!

Hi, I have had a laparoscopy in September due to period problems, infertility and pelvic pain. It was discovered I have a large mass that is connecting my ovarys, Fallopian tubes and bowel all together. They too don't know what it is. Blood tests revealed it was not cancer. I am having an op on 26th jan to remove the mass and take out my left ovary and Fallopian tube. I also need my bowel cut out and resectioned as it has caused it to narrow and I may need a hysterectomy as well. They have said the mass may be caused by the bowel or I may have endometriosis underneath or something going on with the ovary may have caused it.

I had no difficulty with the laparoscopy. You will be fine with that, but I am finding it hard to justify having such big surgery when I don't know all the answers.

Did you ever have bad period pain? I had that years back and they have said it may of been this mass growing that was causing my discomfort. If it's any consulation my massbis the size if a large grapefruit and they think it has been growing there for years.
Please post here on how you get on. It may just be something simple that has caused it.

Old 01-02-2010, 07:44 AM   #3
(female)

jdsun HB User
Re: Complication after Hysterectomy Surgery..help!

Chocolicious-
Yes, I suffered many years with bad period pains..since I was 12 yrs old. I also suffered from Infertily and went through one failed IVF cycle. They assumed my tubes were blocked from a very bad appendix rupture when I was 4. My IVF dr. never did a test on my tubes. After the failed IVF, I switched doctors and the new dr. did an HSG test to check my tubes. Low and behold my tubes were WIDE open. One was twice the size it should be (from all the scaring from my appendix), but open. Two weeks later I discovered I was pregnant...naturally. So I believe something was blocking my tubes and the test opened them up. I then conceived my 2nd child 9 months after my son was born! So, that problem was corrected.

Anyways, I had the hysterectomy because I was again having really REALLY bad periods and bleeding. Worse then ever before. My OBGYN discovererd I had a condition called something like Andomosis where your uterus is large and inflamed. The only cure is removal or menopause. Since I am "only" 36, and I needed surgery to correct alll my other vaginal prolapse issues, we went forward with the laporscopic hysterectomy.

This is where things get interesting. They viewed my entire insides during this surgery and this current Mass was NOT there 3 months ago. This is why the ER doctors think it may be an abcess from the surgery. My OBGYN does not think so because I have not been ill (no fever). All doctors who have seen my scans tell me they do not think it is cancer. But again, they won't know for sure till they go in there.

I really hope they can correct your problem with this surgery. Will it be done laparscopically or will they cut into your abdomen? My good friend who was going through infertility had a lap done to see what was going on with her and they found severe endometriosis and had to remove a large portion of her bowels becaue it was so severe. She had NO pain or symptoms. Just infertility. She went on to have a beauitful little boy and then twins later!

BEst of luck to you!

Closed Thread