It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Hysterectomy Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-02-2010, 11:27 AM   #1
(female)

shewinked HB User
Question To keep my Cervix or not...that is the question

HX: 36 years old, several Fibroids, heavy periods...pain for 25 years & done having kids

Solution (hoping) - Hysterectomy, keep ovaries & deciding if I'm going to let him take my cervix or not.

Question: Looking for information on why or why you didn't have your cervix removed. My concern is experiencing pelvic floor prolapse when I hit Menopause. I've read that when Estrogen drops, the occurence of your pelvic floor prolapsing is high, when you don't have your cervix. On the other hand, if I have adhesions from keeping my cervix and it interferes with intercourse, it would be a real bummer.

Would love to hear your stories.....the good, bad, and ugly.

Thanks,

Sheila

Old 02-09-2010, 11:15 PM   #2
(female)

sarajmt HB User
Cool Re: To keep my Cervix or not...that is the question

Unless there is a medical reason to keep your cervix, you'd be happier with it gone. Keeping the ovaries is smart. I had severe adhesions and the cervix simply made everything worse. I had to get a separate surgery just to have it removed. Don't make my mistake.

If your doctor has a valid medical reason for leaving the cervix, then by all means keep it. Otherwise, it could cause you a great deal of pain. Good luck.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-10-2010, 06:55 AM   #3
(female)

wojo HB User
Re: To keep my Cervix or not...that is the question

How long did it take after your surgery to realize that you had problems with adhesions and what were your symptoms? I'm so sorry you had to endure two surgeries,what a bummer! I had surgery three weeks ago laproscopic and only took my uterus out. I'm feeling great so far but concerned a little after reading your post. I'm sure I'm fine but would like to know what to watch for just in case. Thanks!

Old 02-10-2010, 02:44 PM   #4
(female)

Terry45 HB User

I decided to have the cervix remain. I can have that checked yearly with a pap and he looked at it and it did not show any cancer when he did a d&c a month ago. I had the LSH with removal of the ovaries, tubes, endo scraped out, uterus and sling support put in for the anoying leakage of the bladder when running, laughing or coughing. Three incisions for the lsh and 3 for the sling support (1 on each of the lips and 1 internally) I was happy that it all was done at the same time. Good Luck.

Old 02-10-2010, 02:48 PM   #5
(female)

Terry45 HB User

One more thing. I talked with the doc and he believed that leaving the cervix eliminated the cutting of ligaments that can result in more scarring later and would provide a support for the pelvic floor. If it gives me problems later I will have it taken vaginally. I had the LSH this time. Good luck.

Closed Thread